LegacyGT.com

The Airplane Grill is Officially Dead

The B4

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,20248914-21822,00.html

Subaru "propeller" grille to change

25 August 2006

Gavin McGrath

THE prominent propeller nose will be flung from future Subaru models.

The Japanese brand's controversial aircraft-inspired grilles, as featured on the Impreza and Tribeca, will disappear from the radar. Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries, chose to use the propeller corporate face on the current model as a pointer to its aeronautical history.

But Subaru spokesman David Rowley concedes the new face, introduced to Impreza last September, has had mixed reviews, even though sales have not declined.

Rowley says the propeller face has not been applied to the facelifted Liberty and Outback, due out next month, and it won't make it back for the forthcoming Impreza, scheduled for release next year.

"It's fair to say the design will not appear on future Subarus,” he says. "We had always said the aerospace theme could be applied in a variety of ways, like the way it's been presented on the Impreza and Tribeca.

"Fuji Heavy Industries said it would evolve over time. But it has not really been applied to Liberty and Outback."

Subaru's chief designer, Andreas Zapatinas, has resigned, effective the end of last month, but it is believed he was fired.

Rowley says Zapatinas was not responsible for the propeller theme: the Impreza and Tribeca designs were well advanced when the former Alfa and Fiat designer joined the Japanese carmaker.

Rowley says the first Zapatinas design is the next Impreza, due next year. He is also tight-lipped about whether the company will return to another core plank of Subaru's brand image, rallying, in Australia. "We are still weighing up a variety of motorsport options on the domestic scene," he says.

Meanwhile, Subarus are to develop multiple personalities, with a new computer management system called SI-Drive (Subaru Intelligent) to appear on top-of-the-range Liberty and Outback models next month.

The system works with engine, gearbox and electronic throttle control to produce three switchable driving modes: Intelligent mode for better fuel economy, Sport mode with sharper throttle response and gear change points set at higher revs, and Sport Sharp mode for maximum acceleration. There is also an extra "Eco" gauge and a graphic torque curve monitor.

Herald-Sun

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They fired Zapatinas? There go my hopes for Subaru mechanicals merged with gorgeous Italian-influenced styling.

Subaru seems to change styling direction every couple of years. Sometimes in odd ways. Wonder what the next weirdity is going to be?

:confused:

The guy didn't even have time to screw anything up, he must not have gotten along with one of the big wheels at FHI.

I sure hope FHI doesn't hire Chris Bangle away from BMW.

That would be AWESOME!!! And I'm serious!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Good. I hate that damn grille & was thrilled to find out it wasn't making it's way to the Legacy/Outback line in '07.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

So Zapatinas was fired before his first design ever hit the streets. We didn't have a chance to see his handiwork to judge whether or not he was a good influence.

I guess we'll find out when the next-generation Impreza appears.

You couldn't possibly do any worse, as a matter of fact, I probably couldn't either :lol:

Thank God, hopefully Subaru can go in the right direction now.

I don't think you read the article... The snout wasn't Zap's idea and he didn't implement it... His first car is the upcoming Impreza. The Japanese are solely responsible for the snout and its inception.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That looks like someone who likes to say "I love GOOOOOOOOOLLLLD!"

That thing is funny as hell.

Can't say that I am sorry to see the three grille motif going the way of the dodo, though. Lets just hope the replacement idea is better, not just an alternate...

and just when i thought they were gonna add fins.

http://www.drivesubaru.com/Sum06/attic/100MPG_Car1.jpg

lol! You would think they could have gotten better than 100mpg if they just filled the tires to the correct PSI??

http://chuqui.typepad.com/teal_sunglasses/snoopy.dancing.jpg

<<< does the snoopy dance in joy that the Legacy wont be ruined and increases the chance of me staying a Subaru customer after my LGT is paid off.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Archived