LegacyGT.com

OB and OBXT specific coilovers - gauging interest

Boostjunkie

Any update on the ETA for production junkie?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. Just got an update today. 20 sets are in production right now. They should be here in 30-45 days :icon_mrgr

Do you have any pricing information, and when the ordering will take place? I'm in Belgium and won't be back to the USA until mid February. Most likely I'd like to buy these, but I need to know when, how much, etc...

Thanks much in advance.

Pricing has yet to be set in stone, but will likely be in the same ballpark as the LGT coilovers. The LGT coilovers have an MSRP of $1050, and I sell them for $950 shipped. The OB coilovers will be a little more due to the more costly inverted front struts and more limited production. The price increase will likely be in the $50-100 range, but MR hasn't confirmed that with me yet.

So, GB price? :D

You might also examine a 2nd option that includes mounts with the kit so that it is a direct swap...

Ted

The prices I mentioned above will be the likely GB prices :icon_wink:icon_cool. I can source USDM top hats for those interested, but honestly it really won't save much in term of labor during the install and will add around $100 to the price. I really can't imagine that too many people would be willing to increase the total price of their coilovers to save 5 minutes of work since only the stock front top hats will have to removed and reused.

You don't need one. I use two woods clamps to compress the whole thing, and that way my springs don't get scratched!:icon_wink

Bahhhh to spring compressors!:lol: Just pop your air impact gun on the nut, blast away and just make sure that nothing is within 6ft of the other end of the strut.... and yes it fire across the floor about that far :lol:. Not the safest way to do it, but I haven't killed myself or anyone else yet!:icon_mrgr

The OB front struts do have quite a bit of preload on them. The LGT struts have much less. You can easily and safely remove the top hats from stock LGT struts without a spring compressor.

Ok I'm in I want a set for my car. I do have a question about them, will I be able to get about 0.500" of lift above the stock OB height. Living here in Colorado and loving the snow and camping as much as I do I would like the clearance

On my current set of coilovers, I can just back of the preload and then unscrew the tophat...easy. Did it a couple times so far to replace the leaking struts the first year.

Bahhhh to spring compressors!:lol: Just pop your air impact gun on the nut, blast away and just make sure that nothing is within 6ft of the other end of the strut.... and yes it fire across the floor about that far :lol:. Not the safest way to do it, but I haven't killed myself or anyone else yet!:icon_mrgr

The OB front struts do have quite a bit of preload on them. The LGT struts have much less. You can easily and safely remove the top hats from stock LGT struts without a spring compressor.

^^^ I wasn't going to say anything, but if that's true... I would have to say that MR needs to have a longer anti-compete clause in their contract... something more like 5 years instead of 1.

I think once word gets out about these coilovers, they're going to be a big hit. I have owned a '98 OB and driven an '05 OB. They really need better shocks and springs. And... there are a helluva lot more OBs than LGTs plus there are very few if any s/a options for the OB.

I'm certainly hoping these coilovers will be a big hit! :) Also to answer a previous poster's question, there should be enough adjustment range to slightly raise an OB from stock height. As for who makes the MR coilovers, I am not at liberty to either confirm or deny the rumored manufacturer.

I posted a question about the quality of the MR products on a tuner forum, they weren't too impressed with them, citing their "Taiwanese origin doesn't help with quality" and linked to that site. Hmm...

That is hilarious :lol:. I bet the same guys love Apex-i because it's "JDM yo!", and guess what, many Apex-i coilovers are made in Taiwan! There are only a few factories in the world that actually make coilovers and shocks, and quite a few of them are in Taiwan.

As for the quality of the MR coilovers, go ahead and search NASIOC of any other Subaru specific forum and see what people have to say. Very nearly everyone is very pleased with them short term and long term. I think most of the haters think that if you HAVE to spend big bucks to get anything good and that any product priced lower MUST be crap.... riiiiiiiight :icon_conf:icon_wink.

are there any options (i know airbag but thats pricey) to allow for stock ride height in the winter, and then lower in the summer w/o having to change the springs. ie a changing ride height w/ coil overs or something?

You don't need to change springs to change ride height with coilovers... that part of the point of getting them. You simply lengthen or shorten the assembly as required by turning them. Only takes a few minutes per corner once the wheels are off.

Q: What is a fair labor quote for install of these coilovers?

I've been quoted a rough estimate of 1 hour per corner and another hour for corner balance. At $75 per/hr that translates to $375. Then I'll need to deal with alignment as well. Getting up there, price wise.

Also, any pics/reviews of (hopefully lowered) car since last week? Raphael? :)

Q: What is a fair labor quote for install of these coilovers?

I've been quoted a rough estimate of 1 hour per corner and another hour for corner balance. At $75 per/hr that translates to $375. Then I'll need to deal with alignment as well. Getting up there, price wise.

Also, any pics/reviews of (hopefully lowered) car since last week? Raphael? :)

It takes me about 2 hours to do a complete coilover install, including some post install ride height tweaking. That is in my tiny home garage. I have done it a bunch of times and have good air tools, but no lift and I'm not a fast working mechanic. Any shop trying to charge you 4 hours of labor is ripping you off.

About $150-200 is about right for a shop to charge for the install. Add $60-70 for the alignment.

Archived