LegacyGT.com

Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread - Progress and Documents

SubLo

Ok, it's fine then, but how you planned to change the input for the video in everytime you use reverse? Manually? I have there at video-in a dvb-t receiver.

Yes, I have to manually change to Aux the Audio system but I don't need the camera every time I use the reverse. I already have parking sensor and I drive cars for 20 years without sensors or camera so if there is a condition where camera is needed I can switch on manually.

Anyway I'll purchase the connector for the back camera input and I'll test, but I am already happy whith manual switch

Update:

Need to connect to rear camera plug, the aux video in is disabled if car move, I can see only if I move very sloooow :(

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Touch screen controlling PC? WORKS!!!

Turns out that the 2008 Legacy has a different revision of the nav screen as compared to the documents in this thread. Thankfully, it's similar enough that I could build a circuit that worked with it.

Any chance of putting together a package that is as P&P as possible? :) I'm sure there would be a bit of interest on here for that. I'm currently still looking into the CarPC thing still as an option to what I want to accomplish.

Any chance of putting together a package that is as P&P as possible? :) I'm sure there would be a bit of interest on here for that. I'm currently still looking into the CarPC thing still as an option to what I want to accomplish.

There is nothing plug and play about what I did, nor is there a way to make the mod plug and play. I had to disassemble the entire unit down to PCB, add a signal wire to a known point, remove a surface mount component (4-wire receiver), and add wires to reconnect all signals through a relay. I also had to select a control method that had could supply enough current for the relay.

Short version, it's doable, but if you can take apart the unit and do the soldering, chances are I've just laid out how to do everything already.

There is nothing plug and play about what I did, nor is there a way to make the mod plug and play. I had to disassemble the entire unit down to PCB, add a signal wire to a known point, remove a surface mount component (4-wire receiver), and add wires to reconnect all signals through a relay. I also had to select a control method that had could supply enough current for the relay.

Short version, it's doable, but if you can take apart the unit and do the soldering, chances are I've just laid out how to do everything already.

I was hoping to get away from the pad soldering < I suck at it :confused:, I may still try this... might have to get a friend to do the soldering.

I was hoping to get away from the pad soldering < I suck at it :confused:, I may still try this... might have to get a friend to do the soldering.

what if i send you my nav screen...and you do the job for me , and u tell me ur price :)

I've 2 nav screen , so there's no problem if u damage it :)

thanks.

If you guys are interested in car pc. A quick google search came up with 'double din pc' theres a lot to look at and dont know how good the quality lcd (touch sensitive)... specs...Looks like can be had for a little over $1k w/ Windows OS

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

If you guys are interested in car pc. A quick google search came up with 'double din pc' theres a lot to look at and dont know how good the quality lcd (touch sensitive)... specs...Looks like can be had for a little over $1k w/ Windows OS

Well, that maybe true, looking at a solution that keeps the stock Nav screen and functions as well as use it for the Car PC. you can also have a carpc that doesn't have a screen for under $500, if you build it yourself.

what if i send you my nav screen...and you do the job for me , and u tell me ur price :)

I've 2 nav screen , so there's no problem if u damage it :)

thanks.

I'm not the one who has already accomplished it...

It's not an easy mod, and it requires a few parts. Specifically, the 4 wire touch screen controller (USB device), relay, and some IC's for switching logic.

A couple of disclaimers, what I did was composite video only, which limits video quality. A screen from mp3car.com will give you better video results. Also, I worked with my 2008 screen. I'm not sure which screen you have, as there appear to be a couple of revisions.

Finally, I'm not sure you'd want to pay for this. Given the time it would take to create and validate, you're looking at 10-20 hours labor.

Agree the stock nav is at least upgradeable vs the double din with whatever navi it comes with. Besides the Nav I do not use the other functions it has

I was looking at double dins and seeing if I can place one where the stock navi goes. I have the OEM navi and considering using my iPhone Navi cause I found an app thats free and has real-time traffic (Waze).

Couple things came to me:

If a double din face does fit with little mods to the bezel, I have enough skill to mount the unit and some knowledge to fab the bezel

This saves ~$400 for the JDM dash kit

Then I started looking into double din Car PC can be had for around the same price as a decent Double Din, again how's the quality compare...prob not as well....

Yea $500 and you can build yourself one, then finding power source and mounting location, wont be that hard... Some Double Din PCs seem pretty good processors and what not (Dual Core Atom)

Sorry for getting off topic...

I have the OEM navi and considering using my iPhone Navi cause I found an app thats free and has real-time traffic (Waze).

The app Maps that apple provides has real time traffic info. You just have to use the settings once the app is running to turn it on. It is in the same place where you pick map type satellite, map, or hybrid.

Hope that helps.

The app Maps that apple provides has real time traffic info. You just have to use the settings once the app is running to turn it on. It is in the same place where you pick map type satellite, map, or hybrid.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I use that app for searching for places. As far as a GPS last time I used it was very basic. Thats why I live the 'wave' app, its a full gps w/ voice guidance that speaks street names and real time traffic from other users, all for free

also available for the android

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an 07 Spec B. I'd like to replace the OEM stereo with a JVC KD-R820BT (I already have the JDM dash kit), the JVC has a Telephone mute wire, I'm assuming I can connect that to the NAV unit to mute the audio on the stereo when it wants to "speak".

My question is, how do I get the audio from the NAV to my speakers? I'll be powering the fronts with an external amp and RCA line level signals from the JVC. Could I just tap into the left line level input on the amp?

I've been all through this thread, maybe I missed this being discussed before....

Thanks,

Todd

Anyone think the device mentioned above would work with video feeds instead of audio since they are both rca connectors maybe use the l/r dial all the way towards the side you connect the video feed then it would be away to have multiple video feeds still have reverse triggered by the tail lights and have the availability to switch between dvd and watching the rear view camera while moving forward with switches or input signals you choose to trigger it?

TIA,

Anthony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

i'm really pleased that i've found this thread and joined the forum even though i live in the UK. could someone please tell me if there is a recommended camera to buyor will any of them do ?

does it need to be PAL or NTSC ?

if i buy one with RCA jacks on do i just cut these off and use the wires to connect to the back of the unit. if the camera also comes with power cable do i just leave this disconnected or does that have to be connected somewhere? sorry to sound thick, but when it comes to car electrics i am :lol:

i'm sure my brother can help me, but i'd like as much info as possible before i shell out on an ebay camera

thanks in advance

G

• 5 weeks later...
Ok, that good I suppose. =)

But I meant like more useful gauges from the can-bus info instead of 2! redundant MPG readings and a throttle angle...

The best solution has been to install a car-pc or Magden M.1b or HK Camp II and output video from one of those devices to the video input on the navi screen.

lol

Archived