LegacyGT.com

Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread - Progress and Documents

SubLo

I understand what you want to do with the switch ICs -- toggling it back to "stock" behavior when you want to use the OEM nav system.

Many people have complained about needing to press the "OK" button every time. Sounds like it doesn't bother you. But I was hoping you might uncover some information that would lead to a hack for others.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool. That's what I figured.

I just sold my Magden M.1b, so I'll probably be getting a tactrix and netbook to replace it soon.

Shoot... It would be cool, if someone could confirm that this mod could be use the touchscreen to control the Magden by using the usb input on that device.

I understand what you want to do with the switch ICs -- toggling it back to "stock" behavior when you want to use the OEM nav system.

Many people have complained about needing to press the "OK" button every time. Sounds like it doesn't bother you. But I was hoping you might uncover some information that would lead to a hack for others.

I'm sure I could use this method to do it, and here's how:

You would need to touch "OK" (or that part of the screen) while monitoring the 4 wires. What one would look for would be resistance between X1 and X2 and Y1 and Y2, as well as resistance when touch is released. Once you know that, you'd need some control logic to hook up those resistances to the system when the splash screen is up. Probably would need some sort of 555 timer to delay the signal until the Subaru logo passes.

I'm sure this would eliminate the need to press ok every time. As you noted, it doesn't bother me all that much, not enough to go to build what I've described.

My vantec jukebox is pretty much dead now... I would love to get a simple car pc up and running to replace it. Additionally, if you figure out how to wire up some circuits to circumvent the "i agree" button, I would either buy it from you, or at least pay you for a copy of the schematics. (I may have been the first to complain about the i agree button. I've hated it since 2005!!)

mine navi from the backside EU model 2009 legacy 2.0 Diesel

http://i39.tinypic.com/j6llqr.jpg

Hello, I have a 2008 3.0R Legacy and my navi may be is like your's.

I have not yet disassembled it to see the back.

The main difference is that there is not a CD changer but a DVD reader where you can also watch DVD video. I discover that it read also a DVD full of MP3 (feature not present in the manual).

Under the slot for CD & DVD there is a 2nd hidden slot for the navigation disk.

I have also the aux input (3,5 mm jack) in the arm box.

I find that is possible to configure aux as a Video input, so somewhere there is a video input. The trouble is the it looks like only me and you have this kind of navi!

I purchase on e-bay a small Chinese camera which replace one License light, They have a full catalog of camera for all Suby.

Thanks

You have to touch within a certain area to make the "OK" button go away. It wouldn't be a schematic alone to make it go away, it would have to be a little more advanced then that. It would have to be able to wait ~1 second (Subaru Logo), then "push" ok, then return touch screen control to the nav.

I get my parts (Telco grade relay + 74 series IC) from Digikey tomorrow, so I'll try step 1 (USB control of touch screen with automatic switching). Once that's done (assuming it works), I may be able to look into touch screen. Granted, the way I may "fix" it could involve a PIC16....

Shoot... It would be cool, if someone could confirm that this mod could be use the touchscreen to control the Magden by using the usb input on that device.

Yea, but I just sold it for $200 more than I paid for it. I figured, with the cost of the magden + 200 I could get a netbook and tactric 2.0 and work my way toward open source + car pc :)

lol

I purchase on e-bay a small Chinese camera which replace one License light, They have a full catalog of camera for all Suby

Any chance you could post a link or give me some more information about it so I can locate the products mentioned?

TIA,

Anthony

Hello, I have a 2008 3.0R Legacy and my navi may be is like your's.

I have not yet disassembled it to see the back.

The main difference is that there is not a CD changer but a DVD reader where you can also watch DVD video. I discover that it read also a DVD full of MP3 (feature not present in the manual).

Under the slot for CD & DVD there is a 2nd hidden slot for the navigation disk.

I have also the aux input (3,5 mm jack) in the arm box.

I find that is possible to configure aux as a Video input, so somewhere there is a video input. The trouble is the it looks like only me and you have this kind of navi!

I purchase on e-bay a small Chinese camera which replace one License light, They have a full catalog of camera for all Suby.

Thanks

Hey,

let me clarify something for you. Do not buy chinese crap cameras :mad::mad::mad:, those won't work. Because those follow very loose on PAL/NTSC standards. When you are in reverse gear the picture has overlay text on it "Watch when you reverse" or something smart.

Ok, i had 2 license plate replacing camera, before i bought kenwood CMOS-300 one. Kenwood is okay, not superb but okay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqyNHklzgo]YouTube - Kenwood CMOS-300.flv.flv.mp4[/ame]

Second thing you need is this

Subaru "Cord Convert" harness H0010AG100

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zpmw5c.jpg

Also this

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2800/reversecamera.jpg

I have a car medion 247 dvb-t reciever in car, but i can't get decent video input from it. When i switch the video input for to it, it's ok about 1 second, after that the color balance turns bit weird. I haven't been so motivated to find out where the problem is or try with other dvb-t device.

Hey,

let me clarify something for you. Do not buy chinese crap cameras :mad::mad::mad:, those won't work. Because those follow very loose on PAL/NTSC standards. When you are in reverse gear the picture has overlay text on it "Watch when you reverse" or something smart.

too late :) I have already purchased it.

I have tested the camera on my TV and image quality is sufficente, and no overlay text. I already have ultrasouparking sensors, camera is to see very low obstacles, high quality is not needed (IMHO)

Second thing you need is this

Subaru "Cord Convert" harness H0010AG100

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zpmw5c.jpg

Thank you this is very useful.

I belevie this cable is already present, because there is a 5+1 DD audio system and previous owner had installed the aux input in the arm box.

As soon as I find time I'll take a look in the back of my navi and I'll post some picture of it

Touch screen controlling PC? WORKS!!!

Turns out that the 2008 Legacy has a different revision of the nav screen as compared to the documents in this thread. Thankfully, it's similar enough that I could build a circuit that worked with it.

What I did:

1) Removed the 4 wire resistive connector from the bottom PCB. (You have to take off the back cover, and remove two pieces of PCB before you can get to the bottom).

2) removed the 4 wire connector from the PCB. It's a ZIF socket, and I wanted to re-use it to I didn't have to solder directly to ribbon cable.

3) I soldered wires going between the ZIF connector to a 4 pole dual throw telco grade relay. De-energzed state off state is touch screen control going to the Navigation screen. Engergized state is touch screen going to 4 wire USB touch screen controller (available at http://www.tvielectronics.com/)

4) To control the relay, I need a signal. Pin 4 of IC200 is high (5V) when the aux composite video input is active, and low (0V) all other times (including during "press ok to continue" screen)

5) To buffer the signal, I used what I had around, a 74HC4002. The IC contains 2 quad input NOR gates. Due to current restrictions, I ran these in parallel using them as inverters. This is purely to allow the output signal to have a buffer so there is enough current to drive the relay

6) + of relay is connected to 5V (from same NET as IC200's power is on, grabbed it of a pad next to a big cap). - of Relay is output of both gates. (basically running two inverters in parallel, had they not been in parallel, I probably would have burned the IC).

Result: After a day and a half of no so constant work (have to get real work done), the system works perfectly. I can post video if anyone's interested.

When I hit "Info" switching video to aux, there is a little click (The relay) and the touch screen is connected to the PC. In all other modes, the touch screen works as normal.

Touch screen controlling PC? WORKS!!!

Turns out that the 2008 Legacy has a different revision of the nav screen as compared to the documents in this thread. Thankfully, it's similar enough that I could build a circuit that worked with it.

What I did:

1) Removed the 4 wire resistive connector from the bottom PCB. (You have to take off the back cover, and remove two pieces of PCB before you can get to the bottom).

2) removed the 4 wire connector from the PCB. It's a ZIF socket, and I wanted to re-use it to I didn't have to solder directly to ribbon cable.

3) I soldered wires going between the ZIF connector to a 4 pole dual throw telco grade relay. De-energzed state off state is touch screen control going to the Navigation screen. Engergized state is touch screen going to 4 wire USB touch screen controller (available at http://www.tvielectronics.com/)

4) To control the relay, I need a signal. Pin 4 of IC200 is high (5V) when the aux composite video input is active, and low (0V) all other times (including during "press ok to continue" screen)

5) To buffer the signal, I used what I had around, a 74HC4002. The IC contains 2 quad input NOR gates. Due to current restrictions, I ran these in parallel using them as inverters. This is purely to allow the output signal to have a buffer so there is enough current to drive the relay

6) + of relay is connected to 5V (from same NET as IC200's power is on, grabbed it of a pad next to a big cap). - of Relay is output of both gates. (basically running two inverters in parallel, had they not been in parallel, I probably would have burned the IC).

Result: After a day and a half of no so constant work (have to get real work done), the system works perfectly. I can post video if anyone's interested.

When I hit "Info" switching video to aux, there is a little click (The relay) and the touch screen is connected to the PC. In all other modes, the touch screen works as normal.

I'm green with envy.. so when your talking about the nav screens differing, are you referring to the Euro screens that have been discussed recently, or the older nav screens like the screen from my USDM LGT?

Also made some measurements for those who hate the "ok" button.

The resistance is around 1.6kOhms unloaded, and can go up from there when you touch the screen.

You'd have to be able to match things exactly without disrupting the OEM Circuit. Since you need resistance to go higher, this cannot be done in parallel.

I'm green with envy.. so when your talking about the nav screens differing, are you referring to the Euro screens that have been discussed recently, or the older nav screens like the screen from my USDM LGT?

My stock 2008 LGT OEM Nav screen.

the PDF's earlier in the thread are very similar (older model) of same screen.

too late :) I have already purchased it.

I have tested the camera on my TV and image quality is sufficente, and no overlay text. I already have ultrasouparking sensors, camera is to see very low obstacles, high quality is not needed (IMHO)

Thank you this is very useful.

I belevie this cable is already present, because there is a 5+1 DD audio system and previous owner had installed the aux input in the arm box.

As soon as I find time I'll take a look in the back of my navi and I'll post some picture of it

Ok,

i had 2 license plate light replacing cameras, PAL/NTSC ones. I did also testing inside before installing those into car with tv, picture was even good with those. When i installed those into the car the picture twisting bit right from the upper part of the screen and the colors of the picture where twisted. I think it was PAL camera. Then i ordered the NTSC one, because i tought it's simply wrong standard what it's talking.

NTSC didn't show at all, the picture was full of errors. So then i choose not to play anymore with this. If i have understood this right, the CMOS-200 is similar as tribeca standard backup camera, even the size and casing might look similar.

I hope you have good luck with those 30$ cams, but i just hate pulling wires from front to the rear and taking those off inside the roof without change to success and get something sure working stuff.

I suggest you test your camera before pulling the wiring inside the roof.

And this is not a paid ad for the Kenwood, simply my point of view. I know kenwood products can be bit expensive for compared into china ones, but i don't like to waste my time and cheap prize ain't always better option. Time has also a value for me, money doesn't

So this circuit will not work on the 06 or 07 navigation screens?

TIA,

Anthony

If you mean what I did, it probably will work. Need to open one up and figure it out. Same methods, etc.

Hello, I have a 2008 3.0R Legacy

I find that is possible to configure aux as a Video input, so somewhere there is a video input.

Your Navi shares many similarities with the Navi in 2008 and newer Imprezas. See this thread:

Since your HU is different than the older type being discussed here ("Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread"), it would be better to talk about yours in that other thread.

Do not buy chinese crap cameras :mad::mad::mad:, those won't work. Because those follow very loose on PAL/NTSC standards

See the reply I just made to my thread.

Waw, i find the adapter cable already plugged, so I tested my chinese license plate light replacing camera, PAL Standard, plugging it to the "video in" yellow connector.

First impression was : Disaster! White screen, no colors at all.

Than I make some other test and I think quality is not so bad. When you power-on the camera, it do light calibration, but it's does not make a real time calibaration, so if you turn on on low light and then you go to high light image is burned.

Every camera works in video in plug. Put it on rear camera connector to see how it performs, the difference is the overlay texts on reverse camera screen. Those what will add your safety in the whole new universe.

Think I live in Europe, we are considered less dummy and we have less safety messeges :lol:, for example we can change destination on navi running, without hacking.

Here is what I see plugging camera to cable marked as "video in"

camera.jpg.7245c6f77fdfde68c93d81ca32e6ae39.jpg

Think I live in Europe, we are considered less dummy and we have less safety messeges :lol:, for example we can change destination on navi running, without hacking.

Here is what I see plugging camera to cable marked as "video in"

Ok, it's fine then, but how you planned to change the input for the video in everytime you use reverse? Manually? I have there at video-in a dvb-t receiver.

Archived