LegacyGT.com

Another OEM NAVI Features Hack Thread - Progress and Documents

SubLo

Hi, saw the posts here about the back up camera being installed in a Subaru. I'm trying to do it myself and could use some assistance. I have a legacy 09 with nav. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Do you need to hook up both the yellow rca jack and the molex connection to the nav unit? Or can just the RCA jack be used?

2) Exactly how was the molex wired up - is that 2 wires or 4 wires?

3) Which wires went where?

4) Did you need to press the info button to see the screen?

5) Is it necessary to do the grounding by-pass behind the nav screen?

6) Where did you get power from?

7) Do I need to do anything with the reverse signal wire to make this work?

Thanks.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, saw the posts here about the back up camera being installed in a Subaru. I'm trying to do it myself and could use some assistance. I have a legacy 09 with nav. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Do you need to hook up both the yellow rca jack and the molex connection to the nav unit? Or can just the RCA jack be used?

2) Exactly how was the molex wired up - is that 2 wires or 4 wires?

3) Which wires went where?

4) Did you need to press the info button to see the screen?

5) Is it necessary to do the grounding by-pass behind the nav screen?

6) Where did you get power from?

7) Do I need to do anything with the reverse signal wire to make this work?

Thanks.

If you use the molex connector method, then you will not be using the yellow rca (composite) video connector on the back of the nav, nor will you need to worry about a reverse signal as it is built into the nav unit. You can plug in your ipod video or any other video device to that standard composite plug. You could optionally plug your camera into both the composite connector as well as the molex via a splice and that would give you the ability to view the backup camera while not in reverse. Not sure there is much reason to do that.

Basically to do this, you mount and power the camera and camera box. This is the hardest part really. You will then use a long (12-15 ft i think I used) rca cable to run from the camera box (likely in your trunk) to the back of the nav screen. The rca cable on one end will remain as is and plug into the camera or camera box, the other end will need t be cut and stripped. The video signal wire will go into the molex connector as well as the ground/shield wire. That plugs into your nav screen and if done correctly, the screen will switch to the camera input whenever the car is put in reverse.

If you chose to use the other input for something like an ipod or computer or whatever, you would be able to switch to it at any time by pressing the info button.

No problem at all SubLo, if you get it let us know how it works. I'd like to take credit for it but I think I found this on like page 20 or something of this thread. lol

My heydays of modding my LGT are over unfortunately. 2 kids (one's a baby) a new big fat mortgage on a big fat house and a non-working wife have put me over the edge. I can't justify this expense, or any other for the LGT right now (read: K2 front bumper setup from JDM land :wub: and 19" Volks to complete my desires). Luckily, I was able to get in all my performance mods a couple of years ago before these mod-squashers arrived.

I'd love to see someone hook this up on an LGT - seems easy and accomplishes most of what I originally wanted to see on the OEM NAVI. I've seen some pretty cool vids of this thing on Youboob.

:spin:

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

You gusys know there is hks camp and also madagen or something like that that will do the same thing. actually the hks version can be wired with its fcon to tune the car also while using your nav in place of laptop

burlocks post got me interested so I checked out the following systems:

Blitz R-VIT DS

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4CyRrMNpe0]Video of Blitz R-VIT DS[/ame]

HKS Camp II

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScnSui6Kj88]Video of HKS Camp II[/ame]

Magden M1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrmSw_kU1j0&feature=related]Video of Magden M1[/ame]

I just purchased the Magden unit. I had planned on adjusting the screen to my liking and then stowing the unit away and not worrying about playing with the record feature or adjusting things. But after spending a couple of hours rereading this thread, I'm wondering if there is a way to tap into the 13-pin connector behind the screen to get touch-screen input...

lol

Molex Connector PinOut for 08 Spec.B, may be the same for others:

I've posted an update to mikefoy6's thread here (post #21), with pictures and some new information about the pins on the display unit's Molex socket, including (finally!) pin numbers.

Bottom line: Connect the camera's shield wire to pin 2 (terminal in lower-right corner).

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm trying to [install a back up camera] ... and could use some assistance. ...

I've answered Mike's questions in post #29 of that thread.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys, sadly due to money-need , i 've sold my outback.

So now up for sale on here i got my US-monitor with av-in and rearview camera-in.

The monitor is perfectly working (if u need to see some pics of it while playing a vid let me know).

I live in Italy and i ship worldwide , just contact me for shipping rates.

I ask 500EUR very negotiable :).

I also send togheter at the monitor the 4-pin molex connector for the rear view-camera.

my email is mau_fero at msn.com

bye

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have a 2011 or 2010 Subaru with the OEM Navigation?

If so please PM me. I am interested in getting a backup copy of the discs from you as I don't have the capabilities to do so.

I can compensate you for your time and blank discs.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Just installed my CarPC

I'm using the composite video input to allow the OEM NAVI head to be used as a monitor.

But that's not all, I have my schematic for the next step, and I'm curious if anyone wants details. Short version, I'm going to set it so I have touch screen control while the monitor is displaying the computer, but works for Navi/everything else the rest of the time.

Disclaimer, I have schematics and design at this point. Parts are in transit, and I'll have this proto-boarded up sometime next week.

OK, so I dug up the schematics for the nav screen (earlier in this thread).

I found that the touch screen element connects to the PCB inside the assembly with 4 wires. More digging resulted in finding it as 4-wire resistive.

Part 1

http://www.tvielectronics.com/Products/TouchScreen_Controller.html

That part, directly connected to those four wires would give me touch screen control via USB of the OEM touch screen. But that's not all, as disconnecting the touch screen from the rest of the system would have other effects, such as not being able to click in "I Agree" every time you start the car.

To solve that, I figured a high speed relay or FET switch would suffice. (I went with relay to as not to deal with gate voltages and other design errata). That's easy enough to conceptualize, you switch the touchscreen from the USB controller above back to stock with a switch. As a note, this would require either cutting the etch on the PCB, or intercepting the 4 wire ribbon cable in flight.

Now, I didn't want to switch my relay manually, so I dug up more of the schematic, and found IC200 and IC201. These are video switches, datasheet can be found here:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets2/20/201059_1.pdf

They are cascaded together, with the output of IC200 going into IC201. IC200 appears to have all composite video, and IC201 has the output of IC200, as well as the sync signals from the Navigation (Kendwood DV3200) and the internal graphics engine. I needed to determine how to detect when the aux in is active.

The answer is when SW2 of IC200 is logical 1 while SW1 and SW2 of IC200 are both logical 0, the video screen displays the composite video input (which is connected to my computer). Since I want a 1 IC solution to detect that, I'm using an IC with two quad-NOR gates on it. (I can upload a schematic later if people are interested). It's simple, one Nor gate being used as inverter, and the other is simply there to finish the combinational logic.

All parts are ordered, and I should have this assembled next week assuming all my parts arrive on schedule. I'm planning on pulling +5V right off the board in question. When the parts detect what I want, I should be able to switch the touch screen from stock to my system automatically.

I have been trying to fallow this tread. As I have been reading this for my 08 WRX the only hacks there are is the rear camera and the grounding to allow changes to be done while in motion correct?

Is there anything else I am missing in this thread?

So from what I can understand from the above post you are going to make it so your finger is the mouse?

Yes. That's the idea.

Would be simple just to do that, the hard part is integrating it with OEM preserving Nav functionality

Yes. That's the idea.

Would be simple just to do that, the hard part is integrating it with OEM preserving Nav functionality

Interested as well.. I've had the carpc hooked up via composite for a couple of years and am still using a Dinovo mini from Logitech for control..

What software do you primarily use with the carpc?

Since there is no touch screen, there is not much reason to run a carpc front end. So it's just a win7 install. I mainly use it for data logging and realtime gauge display with romraider. For long trips I use mediacenter for music/video.

[the SLT-TP05-USB 4-Wire Resistive TouchScreen USB Controller], directly connected to those four wires would give me touch screen control via USB of the OEM touch screen.

:cool: Great find! I look forward to see that work.

But ... disconnecting the touch screen from the [OEM nav would prevent] being able to click in "I Agree" every time you start the car.

Since you're considering basically installing a "wedge" between the touchscreen and the rest of the OEM nav, have you considered adding a circuit to trick the nav into thinking you've touched the "OK" button at the right moment after power up? It could probably be done with some discrete/analog components, but might be easier with a little microcontroller IC. Just some food for thought.

The first step would be to figure out what the nav expects to see from the touchscreen in order to acknowledge the "nag" prompt.

BTW, do have to touch within a certain rectangle, or can you touch anywhere on the screen? Do the hard keys work for that too?

:cool: Great find! I look forward to see that work.

Since you're considering basically installing a "wedge" between the touchscreen and the rest of the OEM nav, have you considered adding a circuit to trick the nav into thinking you've touched the "OK" button at the right moment after power up? It could probably be done with some discrete/analog components, but might be easier with a little microcontroller IC. Just some food for thought.

The first step would be to figure out what the nav expects to see from the touchscreen in order to acknowledge the "nag" prompt.

BTW, do have to touch within a certain rectangle, or can you touch anywhere on the screen? Do the hard keys work for that too?

The point of my mod is I don't need any mods to hit "ok". In addition, if it works as designed, it will comprise 2 ICs on protoboard plus the 4-wire to USB controller.

Not just that I'm connecting the touch screen to USB, but I'm switching it back to OEM for all other functions. This includes the "OK" button and nav.

As for front ends, I use Ride Runner with Digital FX. I selected Ride Runner because it's one of the few front end softwares that supports Winamp, as I cannot use Windows Media Player due to lack of FLAC support.

Archived