LegacyGT.com

Sanity check this for me

DuraMax

I was just qouted the labor to install a set of s-techs and cobb F/R sways and I practically fell out of my chair. 4 hours to install the springs, 3 hours for the rear sway, 2 for the front and 1 1/2 for the alignment - all at $75/hr. 10 1/2 hours??? $790??? WTF!!! How long is this work really supposed to take?? :confused:

real world on a lift with air tools? 2 hours for the springs, 1 hour for sways and 1-2 on alignment. someone correct me if I got it wrong, but that's how long it takes me in my garage (excluding the alignment) ;)

real world on a lift with air tools? 2 hours for the springs, 1 hour for sways and 1-2 on alignment. someone correct me if I got it wrong, but that's how long it takes me in my garage (excluding the alignment) ;)

That's about right on the springs and sways. Alignments are usually billed flat rate, as opposed to hourly. The shop I use charges $60 for a 4 wheel alignment, and they do good work. So figure a total of 3 hours labor @$75 + $60 alignment = $285.

Nobody's gonna be raping my wallet - not when I have you guys to keep them honest. Anyway, that's what I was thinking : 3-4 hrs for the whole thing - time to look elsewhere. Thanks again. jerryd

Guest *Jedimaster*
3 hours to change a swaybar? :lol: I can do one one the ground with hand tools in 45 minutes with a smoke break.

OK, even *_I_* can install faster than that.....and everyone here knows that I took about 8 hours to install my UP/DP! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well as you all know, shops normally use a labor guide to estimate repair times. I was curious so I used our estimator guide, Mitchell, to quote these same repairs and here is what I came up with:

Front Springs: 3.8 hours

Rear Springs: 3.2 hours

Front Sway Bar: 1.5 hours

Rear Sway Bars: 0.5 hours

for a total of 9.0 hours.

At our labor rate that would be $720.00 plus the $64.95 for a 4-wheel alignment.

$784.95 before tax.*

I doubt the shop was trying to rip you off, they probably were just going by the guide they use.

*These prices do not reflect our shops actual prices.

4 springs, F & R bars & an aligment got for about $585

Well as you all know, shops normally use a labor guide to estimate repair times. I was curious so I used our estimator guide, Mitchell, to quote these same repairs and here is what I came up with:

Front Springs: 3.8 hours

Rear Springs: 3.2 hours

Front Sway Bar: 1.5 hours

Rear Sway Bars: 0.5 hours

for a total of 9.0 hours.

At our labor rate that would be $720.00 plus the $64.95 for a 4-wheel alignment.

$784.95 before tax.*

I doubt the shop was trying to rip you off, they probably were just going by the guide they use.

*These prices do not reflect our shops actual prices.

4 springs, F & R bars & an aligment got for about $585

I've always been a firm believer that a competant mechanic only needs 1/3 the amount of time that the Mitchell guide specifies for any given task.

I've always been a firm believer that a competant mechanic only needs 1/3 the amount of time that the Mitchell guide specifies for any given task.

Your are correct, but that's how mechanics make their money and do more than 8 hours of work per day ;)

it's dollar cost averaging in a sense too. The average car might take 1/2 the quoted time, but every fifth car is a PITA and takes much longer. Such is the deal with flat-rate pricing.

This was an issue with installing car audio. Standard install on a CD player was $55. On a Civic, you could knock it out in 15 minutes. On a Toyota, it would take 45 minutes, BMW's 75 minutes. Labor rate was based on $75/hr. Did you charge the Civic owner less?

Do it yourself....there are very good threads about doing both installs. Even for the novice you will be done in well under 4hrs. Just make sure you can do it @ someones house that has a compressor & a impact gun.

Ohhhhhh......that just saved you some extra cayyyysh....more modding funds;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

i find it hilarious that the hourly charge for mechanics is more than the professional charges of some doctors and lawyers...and yet people pay it everyday without complaints usually. save for mechanically inclined people like yourselves, most people have to suck it up and never write letters to their congressman or make a big stink. and yet those same people will complain about the copays for their medical visits or cry that doctors whom have undergone 20+ yrs of education make "too much".

you come into an office, get an exam, get an expert opinion on it, and then any of the necessary treatment for a fairly reasonable price. jeez, if i could convince someone to dyno my ride, talk to me about how to improve my power output and then put a DP and AP in it for a similar cost, I guarantee I woulda done it long ago.

although I hope that the warranty on my body last longer than the subaru. and I'd be more pissed if the doctor whom delivered me left a beer can in me.

Id do it for 250. and besides 75 a hour is kinda cheap. its the hours that are rediculous. 7 hours just for the springs is bullshit. if i can do it in the driveway in less than 90 min, they can do it just as fast. i did froggert's front swaybar and steering rack bushings in under an hour. If they need all that time to get simple stuff done, it must be an armless technician doing the work.

i find it hilarious that the hourly charge for mechanics is more than the professional charges of some doctors and lawyers...and yet people pay it everyday without complaints usually. save for mechanically inclined people like yourselves, most people have to suck it up and never write letters to their congressman or make a big stink. and yet those same people will complain about the copays for their medical visits or cry that doctors whom have undergone 20+ yrs of education make "too much".

you come into an office, get an exam, get an expert opinion on it, and then any of the necessary treatment for a fairly reasonable price. jeez, if i could convince someone to dyno my ride, talk to me about how to improve my power output and then put a DP and AP in it for a similar cost, I guarantee I woulda done it long ago.

although I hope that the warranty on my body last longer than the subaru. and I'd be more pissed if the doctor whom delivered me left a beer can in me.

PULEEEZE do not suggest that we need to get congress involved - I'd say that thats the LAST thing we need. The market is setting the labor price and I have no problem with that - as long as people quite willingly pay these inflated rates then those of us won't have to a make a choice - either pay it or do it ourselves. This price estimate was so far off the credibility scale I had to post it - this is my first experience with so-called "after market tuners" and I have to say that right now I am HIGHLY motivated to do this king of work myself and hope that the parts don't fall off.

First of all it isn't the individual mechanic who is getting rich. A lot of you might be surprized what their hourly pay actually is.

And secondly, have any of you heard of overhead? Look at that dealership or properly equiped independant shop...what kind of investment have they made just to do business.

Everybody thinks they are getting screwed my the mechanic. I have a feeling there are a lot of others here who are doing their fair share of screwing to the rest of society.

Rant off.

It is still ugly.

Archived