LegacyGT.com

Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS

Sorry I haven't posted in here for some time.

IMHO, the gap issue is caused by mis-manufactured / mis-designed pieces. I have inspected my trim plate, console mount, and side panels very closely and have found that they don't "meet up" as intended.

At first, I thought my shifter surround plate had a tab broken off... but after inspecting other plates... they all look the same. That is why I made a spacer.

Here is a trick too veryify it is a fit/finish issue. If you have the gap, reach into the shifter boot on the front passenger corner of the hole in the shifter surround. Curl your fingers under the trim plate and gently pull up towards the ceiling of the car. The plate should "pop" up into place and the gap should be gone.

The issue is that if you push down on the trim plate, it will pop back down and the gap will re-appear.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Yup, that's right, I'm bumping this thread.

I have and have always had the gap on the passenger side and have tried all of the fixes to no avail. The only thing I didn't try was having the dealer replace the side trim part because it seems to come back every time for other people.

Recently I've had the shifter surround plate out to troubleshoot a particularly obnoxious rattle (seems to be from the driver side panel and trim) and I've noticed there is a gap between the floor liner and the passenger side panel (the one that is supposed to get replaced to fix the problem). When I push firmly on the panel to close up the gap with the floor, the gap between the shifter surround and HVAC/radio surround closes. When I take the pressure off the panel, both gaps open back up.

I think the panel needs reinforcement to hold it's original shape. I was thinking of making a jig to hold the panel in place and then adding ribs to stiffen the panel so that it doesn't deform again. I will need to study it more closely to determine if that will be a good fix.

AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :spin: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :mad: My nightmare's been resurrected!!! :eek:

:lol: Mine sorta came back... but it's like the pink elephant in the room now. I just pretend it's not there. :(:spin:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Went in for an oil change yesterday and told the Service Advisor that I had a panel fit issue I'd like someone to take a look at. The tech and I went out to the car and I showed him the gap between the shifter trim and the radio bezel. Also, there was a gap where the floor liner goes up into the center console area, such that you could stick your fingers in enough to grab the panel. I showed him that pushing the panel would fix both gaps and he agreed it was warped.

They agreed to replace the panel (66073AG08CJC, not sure if the "C" is a newer revision?) and they found that one of the little white clip-pieces near the seat-heater switches had come out, but replacing it had no effect. I will report back after it gets installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed!

The gap is no more. I dropped the car off at noon and when I went back (4 hrs later) the car was done. I went inside and the SA (different one than last time) said it was all fixed and he thought it had something to do with the STS. :rolleyes:

His reasoning was that "there was something there holding it down" but he let me go without a hassle. I have documented complaints going back to my first oil change (November '06) and the receipt for the STS from April '07 so I wasn't worried, it's just annoying to have someone feed you a line without any respect for your intelligence.

All in all, I'm glad I got it done. While the gap has been eliminated, the panel sits a c-hair high on the passenger side, similar to how you could fix the gap but the plate wouldn't sit right, only this is much much less noticeable and it doesn't pop back into place. Also, the gap between the offending panel and the floor liner is still there. When I put in the new shift boot, I will put some padding so the panel and floor liner are flush.

Thanks to all who have laid the groundwork for getting this fixed! :wub:

You are welcome good sir. :D It's always nice to see a happy ending of members HELPING members, especially after all the **** going on around here lately with vendors and members attacking each other. :spin:

Congrats and I just hope it lasts!!! :hide::lol:

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Agreed. :D

The fix has also seemed to cure the rattle I was getting from the driver side console trim in all but the worst conditions (single digit temps, rough pavement). On the downside, the gorilla putting it back together mashed the boot collar between the shifter knob and the STS. When I fixed it I found that the collar does not fit as tightly around the knob :lol:. I will try to fix it with the boot install.

Err I have an 08 and the radio needed to be replaced. Of course they had to remove the whole arm rest and forward. Now I have a gap and I can see the tab that is supposed to fit somewhere and not be showing. I can't imagine this problem wasn't fixed for 08's. I got it in july 07.

• 7 months later...

Looks like he's saying that it still a problem, even on MY08.

Mine got fixed under warranty a couple of years back, thanks to info in this thread.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Did you order the parts through the dealer? Not much info to go on from what you posted. :)

Yeah sorry, i meant i do have a 08 and from the factory it still has the problem. I have not tried to bring it into the dealer to have it fixed yet. i did point it out the manager (it was his loaner car) and he said hmm ive never seen that before.. he drove it for 4k miles and didnt see that big gaping hole!

• 5 weeks later...
Any one have this covered under warranty??

Yup. All of it. I was within the 3yr/36k so they had to.

Me too, within b2b warranty

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Thanks for the response guys. I emailed the service guy a couple months back about getting it covered and I haven't heard anything from him since. Also needed my shifter and e-brake boot replaced. Guess I'm switching dealerships.