LegacyGT.com

Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gap isn't a big enough concern for me to have the dealer fix it... especially in light of all the problems that people have been having.

However, I still haven't had a chance to install Jazzy's aux-in mod. When I do, I wouldn't mind fixing the gap if all it takes is a rubber spacer.

Would you mind telling us where you put this rubber spacer? And approximately what thickness did you use?

I used a 1" section of 1/4" hose... split open. I slid it over the lower lip of the center trim surround section before I dropped and snapped it into place.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to Subaru of West Houston and they are going to take care of my gap with not that much fuss. I went to Gillman Subaru North and they told me NOOO.

I appreciate this thread because it was the reason they warantied it so easily. I had even modified the shifter bessel with an XM radio.

• 6 months later...

Huge resurrection update! my last post was in July, needless to say the gap was still there, and got slightly worse. Today I installed the 06 headunit I grabbed off ebay..worked like a charm!

I don't know if it is the design of the radio, the plastic trim I took off, no clue, but when I put everything back together the gap was GONE....and I pushed on it a bit and it is nice and firm there. I got mp3 capability and FINALLLLY got rid of the gap...!!!

• 2 months later...
I used a 1" section of 1/4" hose... split open. I slid it over the lower lip of the center trim surround section before I dropped and snapped it into place.

Any chance you could post pics? I have the same gap, always have. But now I have a CarPC in, and pretty sure they'll blame me for it since I had to take out the console for the install...

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I had actually installed a xm commander in the bezil around the shifter and I got them to do it. I went into the dealer and showed them the post to show that this was not a unique problem and the fixed it.

Any chance you could post pics? I have the same gap, always have. But now I have a CarPC in, and pretty sure they'll blame me for it since I had to take out the console for the install...

I don't have any reason or plans to pull it back apart right now.... if I do, I'll snap some pictures for ya.

I had actually installed a xm commander in the bezil around the shifter and I got them to do it. I went into the dealer and showed them the post to show that this was not a unique problem and the fixed it.

You mean they didnt tell you to stop reading from those false infomation sites.

in ref to my last post (i think 46) the (insert bad word)s never called, big suprise

• 1 month later...

So..I'm sad to say even though the new part is supposed to fix this...in my 2007 LGT I still have this problem...I just found this thread and sent it to my dealership service guy. Hopefully he'll do the right thing and contact me back saying they will order the part for me.

Eric

Hopefully so. :( Mine has slowly returned. :spin:mccorry, a mod on here, has fixed his with a homemade set-up consisiting of a few rubber washers I believe. If you feel comfortable with your dealer, start there, then ask mccorry if it doesn't pan out. :)
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

My gap mysteriously disappeared after I installed the jazzymod. When I installed my short shifter, it came back a little bit. Seems to be highly dependent upon the installer.

Yup deff depends on installer. Mine came perfectly fine, then installed jazzymod, still fine. Now Ive had my car apart 10+ times for CarPC installs, and it's here now.

Going to spend some time to try and get it fixed. It's funny that it seems to be VERY dependent on approx. a .10 of an inch off on any part will cause this fitment problem.

• 1 month later...
So I just pulled out the '05 HU to put in the MP3 HU. Any hints on what to make sure of before putting the new one back in? I'd really like to be gapless! :D:D:D
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

So I just pulled out the '05 HU to put in the MP3 HU. Any hints on what to make sure of before putting the new one back in? I'd really like to be gapless! :D:D:D

Honestly, I'm not sure that weve figured out the problem. Reason being, my car did not come with said gap, and I still did not have the gap after taking apart my radio/HVAC area 5+ times for my CarPC.

But, I have the gap now (after a few more disassemblies), and spent about an hour the other day slowly un-installing and re-installing things 1 at a time to figure out what makes the gap.

I know that supposedly there's a part that "fixes" this, but if my car didn't have it originally, and does now, I don't think that I have the "wrong" part. It must be fitment of some part of sorts that is throwing everything else off a little bit, which in the end, is enough to create the gap. Honestly, cross your fingers and install it.

True, there was a part that "fixed" it as captain and I found it. Sadly, for me, it has come back and now it's dissassembled. I was hoping mccorry would respond on how he rigged his.

BTW... I fixed the gap issue by making a rubber spacer and installing it under the edge of the shifter surround.

I really think this comes down to the installer as someone mentioned earlier. I have had the new part put in, and it didn't fix squat. It was better at first but overall in the end the gap came back. After putting the 06 HU in, the gap was gone. I'll chalk it up to dumb luck because I wasn't aiming to fix the gap.

Agreed, the only question is what actually causes the gap (which still seems to be undetermined). Because for me, Ive had and not had the gap throughout installs. Sometimes I have it, sometimes I dont. Still havent figured out why or what causes it.

The rubber spacer may fix the issue, but what causes it originally? My car was fine until I messed with it, and only after 5+ disassemblies of that region.

Hopefully we can come to some sort of conclusion on this eventually, so that we can all have it gone for good.