LegacyGT.com

Shifter Surround or Bezel Gap: READ THIS

I am going to take mine in tomorrow after work for them to take a look at it. I have had this console gap since the car was new.

Hopefully ... they can just order me a new part and new surround and it will be fixed....

I also have a problem with the passenger side rear door panel..... the fabric keeps folding up over the arm rest....

Interesting...

Mine did the same thing..

I complained, and the dealer fixed it about 3k miles ago... It has not returned ;)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...When it was all done, I get back into the car to check it out; and you could tell the tech had used a screwdriver to pop out the pop-screws under the glove box. He left his screwdriver in the car, and the pop-outs looked very assaulted.

John

My advice is to run. Run fast, run far. Get the F away from that dealer. I'm feelin' ballistic just hearing about your experience. :( Wanna be cheered up? Read on...

Sooooo... the part that was ordered about 2 weeks ago to fix this whole situation? Called today since no one ever called me and I forgot about it. Well, the part that was ordered... was NEVER ordered. :eek: What you ask? How could it be ordered the day I walked in but not ordered two weeks later? :iam: Wrong bin they said. WTF?!?!?!?!?! :mad: Appt. on Weds to install it now. What is going on here? This seemed soooo simple...

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

My advice is to run. Run fast, run far. Get the F away from that dealer. I'm feelin' ballistic just hearing about your experience. :( Wanna be cheered up? Read on...

Sadly, the dealership is less than a mile from my house. I won't be able to run very far...

John

I am going to take mine in tomorrow after work for them to take a look at it. I have had this console gap since the car was new.

Hopefully ... they can just order me a new part and new surround and it will be fixed....

I also have a problem with the passenger side rear door panel..... the fabric keeps folding up over the arm rest....

Well... went to the dealership yesterday and got some story about how the interior parts are only covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles. :rolleyes:

So... I went out to the car and called 1-800-Subaru3 and talked to a customer service representitive. They called the dealership and informed them that the warranty was, indeed, 3 year - 36K mile warranty ... even on the interior parts.

So... they are ordering me a door panel... but the guy is giving me some grief since I have gauges installed in my cubby. I told him that the cubby is completely seperate from the shifter plate/console... and that I thought it was BS to try and deny the repair.

He said that they would take it apart when I came back in next week to see what they can do about it.....

I really hate dealing with stealerships.......

Okay... there is something going very wrong with dealers overall lately. Even the members of this board and their posts are out in left field over the last few days. Jeez... I know it's cliche but, is there a full moon or some F'ed up cosmic event going on? :confused:
Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

DONE. D-O-N-E! :lol: It's about as near perfect as I could ask for. If I took a measuring tape, maybe, just maybe, I could see a minimal larger space in mm on the right but it's 1000 times better then before. Took one day and now I'm done. I like you guys and all, but I hope to NEVER see you again... in this thread. :D

Glad to hear it....

They ordered my door panel... and I go in next Tuesday for it to be installed... but I think the shifter/console gap issue is going to be an argument. The guy is giving me a hard time since I have gauges installed in my cubby (like that has anything to do with it :rolleyes:). :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my car and have the same issue as well. Does anyone know if this part is a "redesigned" part? I'd rather install it myself.

I'm the type of person who hates having anyone at a dealership touch my car. As few have already experienced, scratches here n there. I, myself work at a Toyota dealership as a service writer. Let me tell those who are having a hard time with dealerships and this repair. Most techs hate warranty work(pays crap), especially when it comes to interior parts that are a pain to replace, and yes of course you have those techs who care less about scratches, and just focus on getting the part replaced fast as possible so they can work on other jobs. At my dealership, each advisor has a team of techs, one leader tech down to a helper. Lot of times the team leader will give this kind of work to the helper....who usually does a slow yet crappy job.

do you guys all have 05's? i just had the parts ordered for a member on here (and thank god he linked me to this thread) and there two parts for that car. there is the numbers you listed then updated numbers that fit vehicles made after the 4th month in 05 and all 06's. i just wondered if either will work or only the one? the legacy outback wagon we have on the floor (06) has the same problem of course.

My build was 07/04 and I think most others have early '05 builds also. So it looks like it's generally an older build issue but then again with the 06 wagon you stated, I'm not sure. :confused: Maybe the part is slightly different or they updated it, although it seems the update didn't work on all vehicles. :) I would just order according to the build date and I'm sure it'll work. Thanks for taking the time to check this out and help our member! :D

FIXORED!!!!!!! Finally!!!!! After waiting an astonishing 5 WEEKS for the part, I took it in today and the gap is gone!

Oh and I don't think there was a redesign in the part, its just the right side trim. For whatever reason it was bent, mis aligned, had flex in it..I don't know, but you just need a new part to line up correctly. '05s have it, '06s, can't wait to see if the '07s have this problem too.

FIXORED!!!!!!! Finally!!!!! After waiting an astonishing 5 WEEKS for the part, I took it in today and the gap is gone!

Oh and I don't think there was a redesign in the part, its just the right side trim. For whatever reason it was bent, mis aligned, had flex in it..I don't know, but you just need a new part to line up correctly. '05s have it, '06s, can't wait to see if the '07s have this problem too.

WOW! :eek: I thought you had just given up! :lol: Good to hear it's over though, as you were one of the first to report it!!! :)

You might as well go get it fixed sometime. It's easy for the dealer when you do all the research for them! What I really want to know is what causes the problem...we all had "new" panels at some point, and then something along the way caused them to deform or not fit right, I wonder what that could be.

Yeah I have an 06 as well. I wonder how hard it is to change this part DIY. I know someone at a subie dealer, so I may just swap the part myself and give them the old part...its what warranty requires. Hell, I'm sure the techs wont mind..free labor hours! yes..i reaaaalllly dont like others touching my car..

Honestly, if you know someone there you're 10x better off already having them do it. It seems it not an easy replacement as some techs/dealers have complained about whether this is the right part and thus made it difficult for some members (AKA: mccorry :)) to get it fixed. Good luck either way but I'm gonna take a guess and says it's medium-difficult. Let us know if you do it! :D

Mine is going in on Thursday this week to have the new parts put in to fix this problem. I hope it does! My car just crossed over 36,000 miles this morning on the way to work.

Tie a big magnet on the back bumper. The parts will start falling off any minute now.:icon_bigg

It is still ugly.

my dealer is terrible. i was in last week before vac trying to get this problem solved AGAIN. no luck. i showed them the first page of this thread. didnt care. they claim that there is nothing wrong so they can not fix anything under warrenty. so after some more b!tching to dealer they told me i have to now wait to meet with their regional rep to see if he will approve doing anything to fix it. the great news is that he only comes for a few hours every 4-8 weeks. so i guess at the spur of the moment i am just supose to jump up leave work and go deal with another a$$hole.

Go to another dealer if you can. There are also a list of dealers here that have fixed the problem, tell the dealer to call them to verify.

If that doesn't work, ask for the regional reps name and number, and if they don't give it to you, call SOA directly. Its bullshit that the dealer is giving you the runaround. If you need to show them that it is the side panel that needs to be replace. Push on it, toward the console, you should see the plastic bezel move up to where it should be.

Another name to that dealer list.

Service Manager Mike at Kearny Mesa Subaru in San Diego.

Well.... I dropped the car off at my dealer (Hatfield Subaru) today for service. The new console part came in last week and this was the first they could get me in....

So, I go pick the car up this afternoon. The service manager tells me that the new part didn't fix the problem.

Hmmm.... ok... no biggie... it was worth a shot. I still think that Hatfield should continue to try and fix the issue... but at this point... I am tired of arguing about it.

I figured I'd take it home and disassemble it myself. I figure that I can make a fix for it to get rid of the gap.

So... I bring the car home and start dis-assembling the console. WTF!?!??!?! THEY COMPLETELY F'ed the thing up.....

This is the list of issues that I found as I disassembled the console.....

1.) The ashtry and cigarette lighter weren't even plugged back in when they re-assembled it. No biggie.. but poor quality and thoroughness.

2.) Hatfield reinstalled the shifter surround without putting the yellow retainer clips on the back of it... so it was sprung and rattling on the way home. I found one clip under the carpet... I never found the other one.... So they owe me 1 yellow clip. :mad:

3.) The NEW console side piece (passenger side) was never fully slipped into place. The bottom front, where it meets with the glove box, was pushed out and the piece was bolted in at a twisted angle. Again... no biggie... but very poor service. :rolleyes:

4.) Hatfield failed to remove the white retainer rivet from my old console side piece and reinstall it into the new one. So now... the rear console (with the drink holder, seat heater controls, etc) only has one clip to engage it to the front section of the console. They owe me a white rivet! :mad:

5.) One of the bolt holes for the rear console (where the 10 mm bolts go) is now stripped out. The bolt kinda goes in... but it won't tighten. The dipcraps must've used an air ratchet on it or something..... I have no idea on how to fix this. :(

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. :rolleyes:

I just left the service manager a voice message listing all of the issues I found. I expect a call back with an apology and a time when I can come pick up my pieces they shorted me. I will NEVER take my car back to Hatfield Subaru again. Their service department is a JOKE! Totally inept and I don't think they know how to spell QUALITY or SERVICE. I am disgusted.

BTW... I fixed the gap issue by making a rubber spacer and installing it under the edge of the shifter surround.

BTW... I fixed the gap issue by making a rubber spacer and installing it under the edge of the shifter surround.

The gap isn't a big enough concern for me to have the dealer fix it... especially in light of all the problems that people have been having.

However, I still haven't had a chance to install Jazzy's aux-in mod. When I do, I wouldn't mind fixing the gap if all it takes is a rubber spacer.

Would you mind telling us where you put this rubber spacer? And approximately what thickness did you use?