LegacyGT.com

Subaru announces 2007 spec.B

FameMax

.... and gotten in some stupid action film with a rapper and Sylvester Stalone in it. They should have completely sold out and gotten moron celebrities like funk flex and paris hilton to do commercials. Then we could see then all over the place like these ugly ass new civics.

I have no idea how to take this...

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that I am impressed with Subaru. They make nice incremental changes every year. Though this isn't enough to make me buy an 07 SpecB it makes me very hopeful for the offering of 08 and beyond.

Also, I like the brick red. But the alcantara does do a better job of holding you butt in place.

To the members who are disappointed about no added power--please remember that the spec.B is just a trim level, just like the '05s had the base and then Limited (now we're going to have the Limited and the spec.B).

Everywhere else around the world, the spec.Bs have the same engines as some of their other counterparts. When/if the STi comes out next year, then you will get an upgraded engine.

-ben

To the members who are disappointed about no added power--please remember that the spec.B is just a trim level, just like the '05s had the base and then Limited (now we're going to have the Limited and the spec.B).

Everywhere else around the world, the spec.Bs have the same engines as some of their other counterparts. When/if the STi comes out next year, then you will get an upgraded engine.

Yep, this ain't the '60s, they aren't going to have a different calibration and power rating for every sub-model that they bring out. That gets too expensive. The big mfrs don't even do that anymore. I'm surprised they even bothered to have the 230 HP rating for the Impreza/Forester and didn't just standardize on the 250 HP.

For what Suaru seems to want to accomplish with the direction of the LGT/Outback, the 250 HP version works just fine. Folks here can mod if they want, and the bulk of the regular buyers are fine with it as is. Per some of the comparison car tests, it's already more powerful that most all competitors, and that hasn't done squat for sales.

Ron

With the rest of the market approaching or surpassing the Legacy in rated power levels, (268hp Camry, f.i.) I think the Legacy GT Limited AND the Spec B should be updated for 07.

A VF40 and revised intercooler (to not split under pressure, and mate VF40 with Legacy's intake manifold.. why fix parts that aren't broken...) and a conservative tune (290-295hp would be fine by me, and provide a little psychological differentiation between it an the WRX STI if SOA finds that necessary, and yet still make the Legacy stand out as a performer in the market. If they do it right, they shouldn't need much re-certification, as the STI's engine with the same turbo, is ALREADY certified.

They should put the 20mm rear sway bar on, and revise the spring/valving rates to make at least the Spec B suspension package truly desireable... if not fixing up the GTLimited, too.

And for the love of Pete, (or even ME), on the Spec B, paint the thing more than one color. It isn't a limited edition any more.

For ~32k, I think it would be a good deal, and I would go for that. SOA should be interested in moving a few more than 500 Spec B units at a lower margin per unit, and boosting LGT Limited sales, too.

I don't think those things would be too much to ask, or too much for SOA to relatively inexpensively implement, especially the paint and suspension stuff that SHOULD be there already. (although the VF40/Intercooler thing would be perhaps a bit of a challenge)

Yep, this ain't the '60s, they aren't going to have a different calibration and power rating for every sub-model that they bring out. That gets too expensive. The big mfrs don't even do that anymore. I'm surprised they even bothered to have the 230 HP rating for the Impreza/Forester and didn't just standardize on the 250 HP.

Really? Because nissan isn't using the same engine to make anywhere form 240-300hp. dodge of course isn't putting the 357 magnum out in a range of horsepowers either.

Of course ford doesn't do it with their 4.6L v-8 which goes from 224 in the crown vic to 300 in the mustang with several flavors in between in the crown vic and explorer. Not to mention the 6 cylinder duratec, which I beliee is shared between the fusion, mazda 6, and CX-7 and has different outputs for them.

The trend is to consolidate powertranes, but not necessarily to make output uniform. All the cars have different intakes and exhaust anyway just because of differing layout, so tweaking them for performance is no biggie. Tweaking the computer fuel maps is minimal cost. About the only added cost would be tweaking injectors and manifolds if they did so, and that's still relatively cheap compared to developing different engines. But even if you meant trim levels, they are still doing that. Heck, the cobalt SS comes in two different power levelt, imprezza, wrx, wrx sti, the gt and gxp for the grand prix and likely the g6, mustang vs. mustnag gt, mini cooper, mini cooper s, camry le, camry SE, etc.

I'm surprised subaru has anything but the 2.5L engine in the US. It's a very capable powerplant, and tweking it for models is as simple as an ECU program to differentiate power output.

Really? Because nissan isn't using the same engine to make anywhere form 240-300hp. dodge of course isn't putting the 357 magnum out in a range of horsepowers either.

Of course ford doesn't do it with their 4.6L v-8 which goes from 224 in the crown vic to 300 in the mustang with several flavors in between in the crown vic and explorer. Not to mention the 6 cylinder duratec, which I beliee is shared between the fusion, mazda 6, and CX-7 and has different outputs for them.

The trend is to consolidate powertranes, but not necessarily to make output uniform. All the cars have different intakes and exhaust anyway just because of differing layout, so tweaking them for performance is no biggie. Tweaking the computer fuel maps is minimal cost. About the only added cost would be tweaking injectors and manifolds if they did so, and that's still relatively cheap compared to developing different engines. But even if you meant trim levels, they are still doing that. Heck, the cobalt SS comes in two different power levelt, imprezza, wrx, wrx sti, the gt and gxp for the grand prix and likely the g6, mustang vs. mustnag gt, mini cooper, mini cooper s, camry le, camry SE, etc.

I'm surprised subaru has anything but the 2.5L engine in the US. It's a very capable powerplant, and tweking it for models is as simple as an ECU program to differentiate power output.

Bad examples.....for your case anyway!!

Nissan has only a few HP ratings on the 3.5 for a given model year. And these are related to car weight/tranny.

The same with the 4.6 with Ford. Only about three ratings. Mustang GT, CV/GM, and SUV. Related to where the torque is needed for their weight & tranny type. FWIW, I am basically still a "Ford" guy (15 years of owning four SHOs, and I am Car #1 for the 15th Annual SHO Convention this year in Memphis.....driving the LGT!!).

You also mentioned the GTP. The 3800 Series II sc engine was the SAME HP rarting across all models.

Granted, it is easier than ever to change HP/Torque ratings wth ECU changes, but the $$$$ part are the EPA/mpg certifications and dealer/warranty support issues.

Bottom line.....what does it matter what the current LGT engine is rated?? Call it 200-227-230-250-270-whatever HP. It still turns the same 0-60 & 1/4-mile and beats every car in it's class. The number of people (idiots) who buy the car strictly because of the HP rating is minimal.

Ron

just read all ten pages.... phew:icon_tong

Anyway... I like the changes! I'm not trading out of my '05... way too much work done to it so far, and the RBP is EXACTLY the color I've always wanted for my car! So happy with my car... six speed, wierd engine management and memory seats are not going to make me trade up! These are GREAT changes for the evolution of the Legie, but I've already put way too many hours into perfecting my 05. It is GREAT for new legie buyers... BUT... What everyone has neglegeted to mention so far is there will be a whole bunch of new subaru part #'s that we can eventually add to our earlier model Legies! Good news for those of us who have no intetions of trading up!

Just as a confirmation to some members posting in this thread, I think more than one color is needed! I've got no problems with the color of the 06 or 07 spec B, but my tastes aren't going to work for everyone, so more color choices are beneficial!

just read all ten pages.... phew:icon_tong

Anyway... I like the changes! I'm not trading out of my '05... way too much work done to it so far, and the RBP is EXACTLY the color I've always wanted for my car! So happy with my car... six speed, wierd engine management and memory seats are not going to make me trade up! These are GREAT changes for the evolution of the Legie, but I've already put way too many hours into perfecting my 05. It is GREAT for new legie buyers... BUT... What everyone has neglegeted to mention so far is there will be a whole bunch of new subaru part #'s that we can eventually add to our earlier model Legies! Good news for those of us who have no intetions of trading up!

Just as a confirmation to some members posting in this thread, I think more than one color is needed! I've got no problems with the color of the 06 or 07 spec B, but my tastes aren't going to work for everyone, so more color choices are beneficial!

I'm with you on this.

I orcdered my car as I wanted it. The only thing to make it better would have been to be able to order a non-Ltd wagon with a moonroof. the moonroof is one of my requirements, and I am indifferent on the leather.

Anyway, I plan on keepng the car for awhile. Nonetheless, I have to be realistic and understand that I am (as is everyone else) one drive away from having the car totaled by some idiot doing something stupid.

If that should happen, I don't know what to do. If the '07 LGT5MT sedan has folding rear seats, that would work, otherwise I need something else with the load capacity. An Outback XT 2.5 with a 5MT would work, but that isn't high on the list.

Hopefully this is not something I have to worry about for another few years!!

Ron

Bad examples.....for your case anyway!!

Nissan has only a few HP ratings on the 3.5 for a given model year. And these are related to car weight/tranny.

The same with the 4.6 with Ford. Only about three ratings. Mustang GT, CV/GM, and SUV. Related to where the torque is needed for their weight & tranny type. FWIW, I am basically still a "Ford" guy (15 years of owning four SHOs, and I am Car #1 for the 15th Annual SHO Convention this year in Memphis.....driving the LGT!!).

You also mentioned the GTP. The 3800 Series II sc engine was the SAME HP rarting across all models.

Granted, it is easier than ever to change HP/Torque ratings wth ECU changes, but the $$$$ part are the EPA/mpg certifications and dealer/warranty support issues.

Nissan, in one model year, offered the 3.5L 6 in 240, 245, 260, 265, 270, 280, and 285 IIRC. It wasn't just weight and tranny, at the very least between the lowest and highest, intake and exhaust were altered. I'd suspect ECU code changes as well. If you are stating crank HP, and that's what they are, tranny and vehicle weight have nothing to do with it in theory.

Same applies to a number of the other examples.

as for the 3800, they offered it in NA and SC mode, same goes for the cobalts 4 banger.

Everyone is consolidating powerplants, but that doesn't mean they make the same power or necessarily are even remotely the same once construction. Modular engines where bits can be swapped in and out, and cylinders can be added or removed in the design are becoming the norm. Ford's been doing it for a while, and daimler-chrysler is about to make a big jump into it.

Everyone is consolidating powerplants, but that doesn't mean they make the same power or necessarily are even remotely the same once construction. Modular engines where bits can be swapped in and out, and cylinders can be added or removed in the design are becoming the norm. Ford's been doing it for a while, and daimler-chrysler is about to make a big jump into it.

Yup, that's how GM's "Ecotec" I-4 is. In Europe they can get them as small as 1.6L N/A and here in the States we can get them as big as 2.4L N/A. They can also come F/I as well, in either SC or Turbo form. They're also used in both FWD and AWD cars and SUV's.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

This is a step in the right direction. SOA is paying attention.

Now, I'd also like the following for 2008, in time to replace my LGTW!

• A Wagon variant!
  • 3.0 H6 with about 270-280 bhp of really linear punch & a Porsche 911-like soundtrack
  • Auto tranny option (Yeah yeah I know...but my wife will drive it 60%, so...)
  • More directness/feedback in steering (LGT's is a little numb and contrived compared to WRX's)
  • Dual zone disengage button so changing the temp is less work (like Toyota/Lexus)

This is a step in the right direction. SOA is paying attention.

Now, I'd also like the following for 2008, in time to replace my LGTW!

• A Wagon variant!
  • 3.0 H6 with about 270-280 bhp of really linear, progressive punch
  • Auto tranny option (Yeah yeah I know...but my wife will drive it 60%, so...)
  • More directness/feedback in steering (LGT's is a little numb and contrived compared to WRX's)
  • Dual zone disengage button so changing the temp is less work (like Toyota/Lexus)

Wagon variant- AGREED!

H6-Not so much

AUTO TRANS OPTION-AGREED!

Steering Improvements-Sure

Climate control Improvements-Sure

Baby steps for manufacturers. I like what they did, the 6 speed is huuuuuge for them am sure.

Either way, Subaru has officially won me over, I love my car...Alot! Service at my local dealer has been great. Hate to say this but Honda is going to have a tough time getting me back. Tribeca or Outback (what my wife wants) may be next.

Nice work on the changes Subie!

Changes are very nice, looks like Subaru is listening, a little. But all that really matters is how fast you get from 0 to 60.

Love the seats.

Or 60 to 0. Or through those 60 miles of twisty road. Or the 600 mile run to Vegas.

Changes are very nice, looks like Subaru is listening, a little. But all that really matters is how fast you get from 0 to 60.

Love the seats.

0-60 is only a measure that car mags care about, and possibly those of us who do the dragstrip (although the 60' time matters more).

0-60 is like the oil consumption rate for car mfrs.....they don't care about it unless it's really bad

Ron

How about a better 0 - 100 time? Brakes also need a serious upgrade!!! And a 300 to 350 HP rating with the same weight ratio. If there were a serious upgrade in power, suspension, and brakes I would upgrade in a year or so.

-T

How about a better 0 - 100 time? Brakes also need a serious upgrade!!! And a 300 to 350 HP rating with the same weight ratio. If there were a serious upgrade in power, suspension, and brakes I would upgrade in a year or so.

-T

Keep in mind that Subaru has elected to slant their performance image and $$$ toward the WRX & STI, which also ties in with their factory Rally efforts. It is obvious that the marketing plan for the LGT is not in that direction.

Tha said, there is no market for better 0-100 times, nor for 300+ HP. The LGT already performs better than cars in it's class (0-60, 1/4-mile) but that hasn't done squat for sales. I suspect the overwhelming majority of legacy/utback sales are with the non-turbo n/a engines.

Virtually every car on the market could use better brakes. Nonetheless, the LGT are are quite decent. After getting better tires on the car and heaving the RE92s, brake performance improves. And with the Panther+ pads I installed a few weeks ago, brake feel approaches that of my 911. We'll see how they do on the track (Gingerman) next week, but these pads have transformed the car's braking feel.

Ron

Yes, the only thing that may make it into the 07 model is the new fangled air pump in the uppipe like the WRXs, but the power ratings they listed (under the new SAE measurement requirements) lead us to believe that it's the same exact engine.

'20 Legacy XT Touring

13 Subarus and counting: http://jmaigroup.com/subarus/

Archived