LegacyGT.com

Subaru announces 2007 spec.B

FameMax

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat underwhelmed. The 6 speed is quite welcome, of course, as is the Torsen rear diff, and the SI-Drive looks interesting. And the fold down rear seat is a long overdo feature that should have been there from day one.

But from there on, it gets a bit insipid. Power rating is down, but I attribute that to the new SAE rating system, not any real decrease in power. Radio upgrades are nice but peripheral, as are the color and trim changes. They still force that way overpriced Nav system on the SpecB, jacking the price an unnecessary $2k in the name of greed over customer choice and satisfaction.

Also, the Bilstein suspension is back, but is it still as flacid as '06 or have they taken the opportunity to revalve it a touch. Slighty firmer springs and sway bars would be quite welcome too.

Now that it's a regular production model, I wonder what that will do to the price now that they don't have some cheap numbered plaque to jack the price up? My guess is that it will be the same SMRP but the actual street price will be even lower than the '06, which is way below SMRP already.

So will current spec B owners trade theirs for the new one ?

Is the front differential still open ? If so...why bother with DCCD ? If it is LSD of some sort...then yes it makes me jealous.

The only thing that really makes me jealous is the VDC - stability control. I would add the 6 speed tranny but I am skeptical because they say it is STi derived...which means the final drive ratio and 6th speed won"t make it much of an "overdrive gear" over our regular 5 speeder.

So someone please tell me about these 2 points

- front differential - LSD or open

- tranny - 6th gear is really an improvement over ours or no ?

I will start playing the lottery just in case.

So someone please tell me about these 2 points

- front differential - LSD or open

- tranny - 6th gear is really an improvement over ours or no ?

Open... but rear is now a Torsen

The release says the ratios are changed from those in the STI so that is a step in the right direction.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://news.hspn.com/articles/260/2/2007-Legacy-2.5-GT-spec.B-to-feature-Subaru-Intelligent-Drive

On 2007 Legacy and Outback models equipped with the 5-speed automatic transmission (not available on Legacy 2.5 GT spec.B), SI-Drive also changes the transmission’s shift patterns. It will hold each gear longer through the rpm range and downshift more quickly under hard acceleration, depending on the mode selected.

The SI-Drive system includes instrument panel displays that allow the driver to monitor performance. The multi-information display located in the tachometer face – in addition to providing trip computer functions – denotes the selected SI-Drive mode and provides an active torque curve display.

When “Intelligent” mode is selected in vehicles with a manual transmission, a shift-up indicator blinks to signal the optimal shift point for maximum fuel efficiency.

Interesting. The trip computer functions move to the dash display... along with the SIDrive stuff, and an MPG gauge (from previous pics) in the speedo guage face.

The intelligent mode shift light nanny might be kind of annoying. Waddya wanna bet that thing lights like a christmas tree before you even reach any meaningful boost... Driver: "But, I WANNA GO FAST!", Computer: "not if you want good gas mileage, you don't! SHIFT UP!" HEHEHEHE.... I think I'll be leaving it in sport mode most of the time.

I wonder what implications the trip computer in the gauge cluster will have on removing or de-contenting the trip computer location on the console, when NAV is not present in the LGT... will be interesting to see.

no sti treatment, ever, for the lgt..... seems like Subaru made up their minds about it meh

I wonder what the 2007 sti will look like, anyone seen anything?

I can respond to both of these items:

I sent an email to SOA complimenting them on the '07 Spec B, but also telling them I was holding out for a Legacy STI.

Here is part of the response I got from a Samir Hasan in SOA Customer/Dealer Services Department:

"At this point the chances of a Legacy STI are reduced

since the announcement on the STI Limited, which combines the luxury

features of the Legacy with the performance of an STI."

He included a link to the Impreza STI Limited:

http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/sti/index.html

Regards

"At this point the chances of a Legacy STI are reduced

since the announcement on the STI Limited, which combines the luxury

features of the Legacy with the performance of an STI."

:eek::confused::eek:

More proof that SOA is made up of idiots.

:iam:

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

FRAKIN BASTARD.

Oh, we're going to give you a luxed up econobox on steroids... be happy with that.

You mean you wanted a real sedan with luxury and STI power, and room in the back seat? Sorry. NAh-GAAA-DA. Nah gannah Do it, Wouldn't Be Prudent. [/Dana Carvey as Bush 41]

Seriously, though. Does this mean "reduced chances" for 2007 Model year? I didn't see it happening for 07 anyway.

But what about for 2008? The Legacy gets a styling refresh, and the Impreza is supposedly finally going to get it's full re-design. Are they going to continue with this "suck it up with an Impreza STI Limited, screw the Legacy, NO STI FOR YOU!" attitude.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. WRX STI has no other competition than the EVO, and perhaps some other sport compacts. People don't usually cross shop the impreza-based WRX STI with the likes of G35, IS350, A4, TL/TSX, Volvo S40/S60, Jag X-type, or sport sedans from Mercedes or BMW. Just doesn't happen much. I don't even think Mazdaspeed 6 shoppers are in the same bracket as WRX STI, even if some car magazine tested them against each other.

People might include the Legacy GT and Spec B in the same shopping list as those, but not really the WRX STI. Not even with leather and a sunroof. It is still a car based on an economy car platform, and not very smooth, dignified looking (even if it does look better without the wings...) nor roomy.

The STI drivetrain in the Legacy could hit it out of the park, and a turbocharged H6 would be an even bigger hit, and might garner some market share. I don't see 800 Limited STIs making much of a splash, other than being a nice car for people who can't quite decide between LGT and WRX STI. This isn't a move for marketshare or profit, which is too bad, because SOA/FHI could use some of both.

Why should the STI Limited preclude a Legacy STI? They could sell both, and have a better chance of catering to a few more people's choice of a performance sedan. customer choice? Oh, I forgot. I am talking about SOA. it is their way or nothing... Acura, Audi, and Infiniti must love that about Subaru in the US.

Sometimes I swear the auto industry is run by people who have no idea what cars are, especially not performance oriented cars. You can be the biggest business mogul in the world, but if you don't understand your product or your customers (especially untapped potential customers) you aren't doing as well as you could be doing.

BTW, why is this thread in the site announcements forum? Shouldn't this be in the Subaru News and Rumors forum, as the 07 Spec B announcement is Subaru news, not really a site-operation-related story? plus this forum is kinda off by itself, and not on my regular circulation of the busier general forums... just a humble suggestion.

Makes me want to get a one just for the 60/40 split seats! But did anybody notice the tiny wing on the STI? About friggin time!! I think I might have to get one for my WRX.

:wub:

Yeah that lip spoiler is hawt!

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

im very very content w/ my 05 legacy gt w/ cloth seats. Absolute steal in terms of power under the curve and price. I will be keeping mine for a long long time.
06 TB EVO IX SE stock turbo monster subaru hater :lol:

Not a fan of the interior.

Love the 6spd & audio system.

What are the chances they will retrofit to the '05?

Tranny - prob not I would guess.

Radio - depends on the harness and amplification etc.

At least SOA listened to some of the feedback on the desired changes (6 spd, AP functions, MP3, iPod).

Nice step in the right direction, but if they want to catch/beat BMW & Audi in the market place, they will need a bigger bat to reach the fenceline.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

I want a spec. B Wagon!!!!! Why do they always leave us wagon lovers out.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

where it's a regular production model, i hope dealers won't be all up tight about coming down off sticker. i did well on the 2.5GTLtd, and i'm seriously considering upgrading.

only negative for me is the seats. :( with is could have all black interior.

dR

FRAKIN BASTARD.

Oh, we're going to give you a luxed up econobox on steroids... be happy with that.

You mean you wanted a real sedan with luxury and STI power, and room in the back seat? Sorry. NAh-GAAA-DA. Nah gannah Do it, Wouldn't Be Prudent. [/Dana Carvey as Bush 41]

Seriously, though. Does this mean "reduced chances" for 2007 Model year? I didn't see it happening for 07 anyway.

But what about for 2008? The Legacy gets a styling refresh, and the Impreza is supposedly finally going to get it's full re-design. Are they going to continue with this "suck it up with an Impreza STI Limited, screw the Legacy, NO STI FOR YOU!" attitude.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. WRX STI has no other competition than the EVO, and perhaps some other sport compacts. People don't usually cross shop the impreza-based WRX STI with the likes of G35, IS350, A4, TL/TSX, Volvo S40/S60, Jag X-type, or sport sedans from Mercedes or BMW. Just doesn't happen much. I don't even think Mazdaspeed 6 shoppers are in the same bracket as WRX STI, even if some car magazine tested them against each other.

People might include the Legacy GT and Spec B in the same shopping list as those, but not really the WRX STI. Not even with leather and a sunroof. It is still a car based on an economy car platform, and not very smooth, dignified looking (even if it does look better without the wings...) nor roomy.

The STI drivetrain in the Legacy could hit it out of the park, and a turbocharged H6 would be an even bigger hit, and might garner some market share. I don't see 800 Limited STIs making much of a splash, other than being a nice car for people who can't quite decide between LGT and WRX STI. This isn't a move for marketshare or profit, which is too bad, because SOA/FHI could use some of both.

Why should the STI Limited preclude a Legacy STI? They could sell both, and have a better chance of catering to a few more people's choice of a performance sedan. customer choice? Oh, I forgot. I am talking about SOA. it is their way or nothing... Acura, Audi, and Infiniti must love that about Subaru in the US.

Sometimes I swear the auto industry is run by people who have no idea what cars are, especially not performance oriented cars. You can be the biggest business mogul in the world, but if you don't understand your product or your customers (especially untapped potential customers) you aren't doing as well as you could be doing.

BTW, why is this thread in the site announcements forum? Shouldn't this be in the Subaru News and Rumors forum, as the 07 Spec B announcement is Subaru news, not really a site-operation-related story? plus this forum is kinda off by itself, and not on my regular circulation of the busier general forums... just a humble suggestion.

buy a legacy?

FRAKIN BASTARD.

My friends do shop those cars, seriously, 30k gets you a wide range of options, it is at that point when people make the decision if performance is what they are looking for ( Evo Sti GT) or style and lux, (G35, 330, TL, ect...) it happenes. Subaru is doing the right thing. GT made them realized that there is a market for another turbo car ....the spec b, made them realize that the American market is looking for something special. The next body style change i'd expect an STI variant. 08+

I want an STI Legacy just as much as everyone esle, however It won't be around till 08. That not just spectulation either...

Archived