LegacyGT.com

Subaru announces 2007 spec.B

FameMax

Subaru's response to a previous poster here mentioned "reduced chances" of a Legacy STI... and that did sound like it *could* be longer term than just 2007.

The thing is, for 30k, WRX STI and EVO give you mostly JUST performance. There is more to luxury than leather on the seats, and the impreza just isn't it.

The new '07 G35 has more than 300hp. IS350 has 300... and others. and they are not the same kind of car as the WRX STI/EVO. While an enthusiast will recongnize that they all have good ammounts of power, they do not have the same ammounts of amenities, physical interior size, nor style/image, which does count for something.

I just wish Subaru would step up and compete with some of these more premium brands with the Legacy... and if it does in 2008, good, but why wait? to lose more money in the mean time?

I am just upset at SOA continuing to play their role as "If you want something other than the one option we give, then sod off!" What kind of attitude is that?

It makes them look bad, and puts a damper on their product lines.

I still think the spec B is too little difference for too much money, and if infact the color is limited, that is another proof of my point.

And why not have a more luxury oriented 3 liter H6 Legacy sedan and wagon trim model, similar to the Outback VDC model for people who do want a nice, affordable, reliable AWD car, but not necessarily the performance focus of a turbocharged car... It would nicely undercut the A4 3.0 Quattro, G35X, and an alternative to the Passat 4-motion, as well as an AWD alternative to the TL, and other FWD or RWD cars in the segment.

Needless to say, if I were a product planner with the authority to do so, Subaru would be offering a LOT more variety in it's product lines, and would be telling people about it.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance the faceplate and radio will fit in a 2005? Would like mp3 disk and ipod capabilities...

It looks like it would fit. I wouldn't think the wiring would change too much.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

I'm also wondering if the '07 Legs will FINALLY get rid of that pointless uppipe cat.

I've numero uno on the waiting list here. I love the interior. The Alcantara, 6 speed, iPod integration, and 60/40 seats leave me with only the AccessPort worry.

I'd also consider having it painted WRB as a one-off thing, if I can find some sort of hookup on that front.

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

Is the center differential still viscous ? Trying to see the connection with VDC

Per Subaru's site, VDC only works with VTD (currently on the 5EAT) and VTD is a hydraulic transfer clutch through planetary gears. Not viscous like the Continuous system on the 5MT.

Ron

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the uppipe cat was removed from the '06 LGTs, so therefore I would assume it should be catless for '07..

2006 LGT still has the cat in the uppipe.

phoenix96

I hate Subaru...

Way I see it, I shoulda got a 6MT w/ my current GT...or at least brembos for the price I paid...

Now they finally come out w/ it in the 07 Spec B...:mad:

This allows Subaru to maximise profit.... by slowly dripping updates/upgrades.

Just got back from the show. The interior looks pretty ugly. Navy blue on black with a gray exterior is pretty blacnd. I'd love to see some green, or a lighter blue or maybe some blaue and oragne (Mets style baby) If I were in the market I'd definetely pick it up though. looks like they really listened to the things we asked for.

NY autoshow shots

http://www.autoshowny.com/vehicle/images/2006/Subaru_Legacy_lg.jpghttp://www.autoshowny.com/vehicle/images/2006/Subaru_Legacy_2_lg.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Don't see people flocking around it though. :(

I still don't see that it separates itself significantly from a 'regular' GT ltd. It needs more still- maybe they improved the suspension? (although doesn't seem like it). And I could live without the 2 toned interior.

Basically, still have to build your own STi. :icon_bigg

tom :)

Makes me want to get a one just for the 60/40 split seats! But did anybody notice the tiny wing on the STI? About friggin time!! I think I might have to get one for my WRX.

:wub:

That tiny lip is definitely hot. A friend of mine has something similar on his TL A-Spec.

The new HU gets a big thumbs-up as well. While the buttons are smaller, they seem to be better laid out. I like how the track-change and scan-seek buttons in the middle. The current placement feels awkward when I have to reach across the shift lever to change CD tracks. I think this unit will be easier to operate without taking you eyes off the road.

Hopefully the '07 unit swaps in for the '06 without too much fuss.

Oh, one more thing: a 9ft-lb reduction in torque??? Screwballs. Yeh, I know the SAE changes to horsepower, but that has nothing to do with torque.

Hp is a function of torque. One changes, then so does the other.

HP is a calculation based on torque. 1ft-lb is 1ft-lb. There is no way you can interperet that differently.

The SAE standard defines how the torque is measured. The 2007 models make the same power as the 2006s, they've just been measured differently. Horsepower is still Torque * RPM / 5252.

phoenix96

Oh come on guys. 1HP does NOT EQUAL 1FT-LB of torque! For God's sake. I don't know where those comments come from. Torque is a twisting force only. Horsepower is that force measured over time.

Horsepower is a FUNCTION of TORQUE over TIME (or RPM in an engine's case [no pun intended]). They are not always equal. The generic formula is HP=RPMxTQ/5252.

There was no reduction in torque or HP for 2007. As previously mentioned, the numbers numerically decreased because of the new SAE stating methods. The engine power and torque outputs are exactly the same as last year.

________________________________________________ [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1980"]'05 BSM OBXT Row-your-own, W.I.P. :rolleyes:[/URL] [URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1242"]'06 Shrek B # 64 - The car the wife loved to hate :( Sold...[/URL]

It's not that the SAE changed the actual measuring of torque.

It's that they set more standards with regards to the process of how the entire engine is measured. I know the Acura TL's ratings went down after the SAE revision because Honda kind of cheated and like removed some pumps and stuff to boost their HP rating. That's what everyone is talking about with regards to new SAE measurements.

-ben

Thanks for the pics. Don't see people flocking around it though. :(

I still don't see that it separates itself significantly from a 'regular' GT ltd. It needs more still- maybe they improved the suspension? (although doesn't seem like it). And I could live without the 2 toned interior.

Basically, still have to build your own STi. :icon_bigg

Those are pre-show photos from the NY autoshow website, the building is empty of reporters and consumers.

I know that 1HP does not equal 1ft-lb of torque.

How has the SAE changed the way they measure torque? My primitave understanding of toruqe is that 1lb-ft of torque is equal to lifting 1lb at a distance of 12 inches from the pivot point.

No.

Torque doesn't lift anything. Torque is a force. The calculation for HP is a method of measuring torque as it does work.

Go out to your car, grab one of the exhaust tips with both hands, and try to twist. You are applying torque to the tip. You are not doing any productive work (meaning you are developing zero HP). Of corse, if you applied enough torque to twist off the tip (or flip the car over!!!), THAT would translate into HP (work being done).

In your earlier comment, the HP of the new LGT is lower BECAUSE the torque is lower. Others have posted the HP equation.

Old, sillly joke: What do a Yugo and a Top Fuel Dragster have in common? They both have their torque match their HP at 5,252 rpm.

Ron

It's not that the SAE changed the actual measuring of torque.

It's that they set more standards with regards to the process of how the entire engine is measured. I know the Acura TL's ratings went down after the SAE revision because Honda kind of cheated and like removed some pumps and stuff to boost their HP rating. That's what everyone is talking about with regards to new SAE measurements.

No, they didn't add/remove anything. It's all in how the mfrs interpreted the usually-arcane SAE specs. Noody changed anything with their engines, the ratings just changed. The only people who seem to care are the automotive marketing folks and the press who try to spin a story.

Ron

Archived