LegacyGT.com

Cobb Tuning would like to offer a larger than stock turbo for the LGT...

Christian.

I think the avo one would be nice

http://www.avoturbo.com/pdf/avo_subaru_ad.pdf (scroll down the page)

They are supposed to arrive after easter, according to sean

while the avo would be nice, its going to run close to 2k which will put it out of the ball park for those that are looking to do a simple swap. not to mention it requires lots of supporting mods which raises the price of doing the swap.

affordability and practicality would say the db 18 or 20 will be what is used.

Cobb Stg IV.

LGT specific Mitsubishi TD06-20g $1600

New high flow injectors $600

Walboro or Avo pump exchange $600

Perrin or avo tmic $850

COBB STG IV shelf map

i would definately be in for something like this. i dont trust moddified injectors there are to many variables that can effect the flow rate between each injector, and the same goes for "boost a pumps" id rather have a new pump that i can trust.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very simple package to put together would be as follows:

Cobb Stg IV.

LGT specific Mitsubishi TD06-20g $??

Cobb Modified 816cc injectors $200+ Core Charge

Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump: http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

COBB STG IV shelf map

You have a complete 20g setup complete with fuel system upgrades for essentialy the same cost as a WRX STGIV setup.

Furthermore a 20G setup would be more likely to attract the attention and spin off into an STi upgrade as most people wont bother with 16, 18G ect upgrages as they don't produce much more on a conservative tune than a VF39.

I find myself in closest agreement with this proposed setup as a base for further refinement/discussion. :)

However....

I also find myself thinking why anyone who is spending the money for such upgrades (i.e. anything above and beyond Cobb Stage II) would *_not_* spend the additional $300 or so for a vehicle and setup specific custom tune via either StreetTUNER or ProTUNER, and would instead go around with a less-than-optimized off-the-shelf map.... :confused:

I would imagine that anyone who has the resources to budget the purchase (and installation, if they are either uncomfortable with or do not have time for a DIY job) of these much more comprehensive upgrades would not mind the extra change required to net a good, professional tune - especially seeing that it will be the only true way of tapping the full potential of their new setup, which is a goal that I would assume such an enthusiast would really be seeking as an end-point from the get-go.

To me, Stage I and Stage II off-the-shelf makes sense - they're hardware-specific (more or less) and give the end-user mild-to-moderate gains in either/both driveability and performance. These "generic" maps render performance without taxing either vehicle durability/reliability nor require a huge budget - and I believe that this last factor is one of the most attractive points for many AccessPORT owners.

But once the owner steps outside the bounds of Stage II, I truly would question why - especially at the typically not-outrageous rates that most good tuners charge for either a road- or dyno-tune - such dedicated enthusiasts would not pursue a custom tune.

Maybe I'm just missing the point of this map? :icon_tong Is it so that owners of such planned upgrades can rest easy that they can drive around "safely" until they can get a ProTUNE? or so that they don't have to drive like granny while getting to their tuner, on that first trip? :icon_bigg

Regardless, honestly, to the crew at Cobb - thanks for always looking for "the next thing" to help us LGTers extract more from our beloved vehicle! :D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

...(EDIT)

But once the owner steps outside the bounds of Stage II, I truly would question why - especially at the typically not-outrageous rates that most good tuners charge for either a road- or dyno-tune - such dedicated enthusiasts would not pursue a custom tune.

Maybe I'm just missing the point of this map? :icon_tong Is it so that owners of such planned upgrades can rest easy that they can drive around "safely" until they can get a ProTUNE? or so that they don't have to drive like granny while getting to their tuner, on that first trip? :icon_bigg

Regardless, honestly, to the crew at Cobb - thanks for always looking for "the next thing" to help us LGTers extract more from our beloved vehicle! :D

When I am ready to go with a bigger Turbo, I would run the shelf tune from Cobb, this would be very attractive to me, as there are no pro-tuners around here and I would be doing the work myself, in addition I could justify it more readily because I can spread out the cost a little.

I would be likely to run the off the shelf map for even a couple of months until I got a pro-tune, especially if the numbers with the shelf map were very good already, and SAFE....

I also think a 20g is a better choice because of the later option to go with more power, without getting out of the efficiency range of the turbo. And another Thanks to Cobb!

I also find myself thinking why anyone who is spending the money for such upgrades (i.e. anything above and beyond Cobb Stage II) would *_not_* spend the additional $300 or so for a vehicle and setup specific custom tune via either StreetTUNER or ProTUNER, and would instead go around with a less-than-optimized off-the-shelf map.... :confused:

But... As a former WRX owner, you should also be aware of the vast quantities of tuner kids that aren't in close proximity to a reputable AWD dyno tuner. There are VF34 and VF39 maps for the WRX, and there are tons of kids running those (although many with a UTEC).

This will be the determining factor in the direction that I take the

I'm looking at getting a 5EAT Wagon though, and since I'm in Salt Lake, I'll probably just have them ProTune it, but it is nice to know that they'll have off-the-shelf maps for larger turbos.

I vote 18G or 20G, but if an 18G can get me over 300WHP on the stock injectors, fuel pump, and TMIC, then that's $1500 I can sink into suspension mods. Is that true?

Never start modding, kids. It's too late for me, save yourselves!

Hooray for 07+ AccessPORT!

I think an 18G would probably be best. I've heard a 20G isn't any laggier, but I would have to see to believe. An 18G would be 300 wtq with stock injectors and TMIC? How would that compare to Cobb stage 2?

My goal is to get into the 12's someday in a 1/4 mile. I think the 20G would definitely be quicker, but no one has mentioned the reliability of the tranny and diff's. In that regard, I think an 18G would be better.

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

Torque breaks drivetrains horsepower is just torque applied over an RPM range.

A 20G will hold boost longer and produce more horsepower whereas an 18G will peak fast and produce more drivetrain shattering torque at a lower RPM.

Thanks, guys, for answering my question. :) Good thought!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

my opinion is the 20G would make more sense,

those looking for good spool characteristics would be fine going off with a custom stage II tune + turboback giving them 250-275whp or close to it

a 18G sounds like a nice upgrade but with marginal benefits over stock

the problem I see is that the 20G needs more supporting mods. For an OTS map to work you need to specify which injectors (modified or not) and pump you have. That's a lot of variables for an OTS tune. the 18G can get a conservative tune on the stock fuel system but could benefit from injectors.

Cobb Stg IV.

LGT specific Mitsubishi TD06-20g $1600

New high flow injectors $600

Walboro or Avo pump exchange $600

Perrin or avo tmic $850

COBB STG IV shelf map

what's cobb stage III? And 600 for an AVO pump? I mean, that thing's spendy but not THAT spendy :lol:

I believe AVO or someone has like a stage III available for the Legacy GT that is a turbo, injectors, TMIC, and I believe a fuel pump for like $3500 dollars. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I saw this and it was making like 350hp and torque. I believe that was at the wheels. I am looking at doing something similar to this.. if I upgrade my turbo I want something substantially more then stock, not just a lil bit more. If someone is going to do these upgrades there looking for power. Not just a lil more. People who want just a lil more just modify whats there. I would love it if Cobb had a map for this so I can do all the work myself then plug a program in to run it. So then I can atleast make it to the shop to get them to tune it even further. The closest tuner to me for Subarus is like a few hours away..

Good question. Sways too?

not to go off topic, but how long after the long awaited, much anticipated CBE could we expect a turbo from Cobb? Seems the hardware takes some time.

Both of these have been on my car for quite some time now...we made several revisions to the sway bar and the exhaust is awaiting some additional piping from cat to the mufflers. I will try to get realistic ETAs as soon as possible. Oh, and the new springs on my LGT are a perfect match to the stock shocks...but those are going through another revision as well. We wanted to make sure they made it through the salted winter streets here and they did very well. Again, no promises and I will post on another thread with product updates when I am more confident with the ETAs.

I believe AVO or someone has like a stage III available for the Legacy GT that is a turbo, injectors, TMIC, and I believe a fuel pump for like $3500 dollars. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I saw this and it was making like 350hp and torque. I believe that was at the wheels. I am looking at doing something similar to this.. if I upgrade my turbo I want something substantially more then stock, not just a lil bit more. If someone is going to do these upgrades there looking for power. Not just a lil more. People who want just a lil more just modify whats there. I would love it if Cobb had a map for this so I can do all the work myself then plug a program in to run it. So then I can atleast make it to the shop to get them to tune it even further. The closest tuner to me for Subarus is like a few hours away..

We would be happy to develop calibrations for the AVO packages...does any one here know the decision makers at AVO? I would like to get in contact with them to see if anything can be worked out. Let me know if this is of interest to you.

Take care,

Christian.

Archived