LegacyGT.com

Cobb Tuning would like to offer a larger than stock turbo for the LGT...

Christian.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At what RPMs would you experience the boost in an AVERAGE 18g setup? same for 20g setup. More to the point, would this be a difference you'd need to get on the highway, or a main road to notice, or is this something you'd be able to pick up on on a regular road.

At what RPMs would you experience the boost in an AVERAGE 18g setup? same for 20g setup. More to the point, would this be a difference you'd need to get on the highway, or a main road to notice, or is this something you'd be able to pick up on on a regular road.

Close to stock spool, just much more thump when it hits, and pulls like a freight train up top. Especially the 20G.

05 STI CGM~520whp/463wtq...more to come!

08 STI Aspen White/Gold BBS~305whp/365wtq:D

Both tuned by Scott Siegel!

^ from what I've heard the 20g spools at 4,000rpm??

I am pretty sure it is closer to 3500-3700.

It sure is not like a VF40!

The proponents of a 20g say it is not a big deal, but there are people here that have one that say there is definitely more lag then before, a considerable factor.

Once spooled, watch out!

The lag factor is why I don't have one.

^ from what I've heard the 20g spools at 4,000rpm??

My FP Red spools around 4000 rpm. 20G is only about 200 rpm behind a VF39 which is close to the VF40. You got some bad info. Or, whoever told you that had a very lame tune.

I am pretty sure it is closer to 3500-3700.

It sure is not like a VF40!

The proponents of a 20g say it is not a big deal, but there are people here that have one that say there is definitely more lag then before, a considerable factor.

Once spooled, watch out!

The lag factor is why I don't have one.

The money factor is why I don't have one :(

My FP Red spools around 4000 rpm. 20G is only about 200 rpm behind a VF39 which is close to the VF40. You got some bad info. Or, whoever told you that had a very lame tune.

20g is more that 200rpms behind a "tuned" vf39, perhaps your refering to a stock vf39 vs a tuned 20g...

vf34/39 ~2800 rpms (owned previously)

18g ~3200 rpms

here is boost maps for my td06h-18g http://sutternow.com/pics/dynos/18gprodriveboostmap.jpg

17psi before 3200 rpm(one of the two maps).

td05h would spool quicker

20g ~3600 rpms

20g is more that 200rpms behind a "tuned" vf39, perhaps your refering to a stock vf39 vs a tuned 20g...

18g ~3200 rpms

here is boost maps for my td06h-18g http://sutternow.com/pics/dynos/18gprodriveboostmap.jpg

20g ~3600 rpms

Thanks, looks about right.

The only things that will help a bigger turbo spool faster (all things being equal, good tune, etc..) is lighter (more expensive) turbo internals, ball bearings, clipped wheels, and maybe something else but I am no expert.

18g ~3200 rpms

20g ~3600 rpms

I have driven several 20G STI's. And each of them reach full spool between 3100-3300 rpm. Just depends on the tuner and supporting mods for the most part. My tuned VF39 spooled 2800-2900 rpm. So that's not far from what I said. Good tuners spool FP Greens by 3600-3800 rpm.

• 1 year later...
I have been given permission and authorization to specify and develop a AccessPORT map for use with a larger-than-stock turbo on the LGT. I have an idea as to what turbo should be used but I would like to get some feedback from you all. Some critical hardware that will be specified with the use of this map are the intake system, fuel injectors, turbo, TMIC, and turbo-back exhaust system. We have already tested different turbos with various fuel injectors and should be able to make a decision as which hardware will be used for this map. But, before the final decision has been made I would appreciate your feedback. I have personally tuned several Garrett, MHI, IHI, FP, Deadbolt, Brand X, Brand Y turbos etc. over the years so we are not limited to a particular brand for the marketing aspect of things...I just want to specify a turbo that perform consistently and provide more flow that the VF40. The vendor needs to be able to supply, service, and support the turbo as well. That means no fly-by-night brand new never seen turbo operations, etc. nor a turbo that has 20 different options as to its configuration (coatings, ported, not ported, clipped, special this, special that, etc.) The turbo must be a stock replacement, not rotated, no super big inlet that requires more hardware, no special oil/anti freeze lines, etc. and compatible with the stock style boost control solenoid. Along the same lines, the stock exhaust manifold and up-pipe (or a better than stock up-pipe that retains heat) will be required, the stock fuel rails will be used (we will test the stock fuel pump), and I will do everything I can to educate the facts about Subarus and tuning. In other words “the #? cylinder is the lean one (not), the fuel pressure drops on the #? injector so fuel rails are needed (not)”, boost is a measurement of restriction (true), bla, bla, bla.

First off, please realize that a GT30+ or Red turbo is way too large for this map to be made safe. We are looking to be able to satisfy all of the U.S. market with this map...so running CA91 octane must be taken into consideration (no 20+ pounds of relative boost pressure, damn you 93 octane East coasters ). This map is not going to be a perfectly tuned aggressive map so do not expect that. This map will be a good map to run a larger-than-stock turbo and should be a good map to use for similar set-ups (i.e. to load scaling, injector scaling, base mapping, etc. will be a good starting point). This will still be an improvement over the stock turbo as far as power goes, but we will not be able to satisfy everybody.

I will try to keep this to an open discussion, no bashing, just facts and experience. I will read all feedback, respond when needed, and try to get all questions answered. I need to do everything we can to limit tolerance changes. The last thing I want to do is release a base map that needs constant revision (because the wastegates do not perform consistently-like the VF39-or because different exhaust manifolds other than stock are used, the stock headers are ideal). The turbo, fuel injectors, TMIC, and intake all must perform consistently in order to make this work. The availability of the map will not be any time soon…most likely around 90-120 days.

Please go ahead and post your ideas for turbos, I await your feedback.

In addition, we need to purchase a used stock LGT turbo so we can use it for development. We want to make this turbo is a stock replacement turbo that requires little if no modifications to the stock turbo system. Please PM me if you have a used LGT turbo for sale.

Take care,

Christian.

that map would be awesome if you are still thinking for developing it...you may try looking at the avo 380...it's a good bolt on with little mods. i would buy one...i have the ap with stg 2.

considering this was originally posted 5 months ago, with no real progress, do you think they have a sell-by date?

considering I made this post 15 months ago, with no real progress, do you think they ever actually plan on doing this?

the answer is no.... just like TCU reprogramming coming out with the APv.2 :lol:

:rolleyes:

that map would be awesome if you are still thinking for developing it...you may try looking at the avo 380...it's a good bolt on with little mods. i would buy one...i have the ap with stg 2.

Rallitek offers off the shelf maps for the AVO 380 already.

hey did you guys hear that COBB released the AP's for 07-08 models? I also hear they are thinking of making a bigger turbo.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived