LegacyGT.com

I passed on the Legacy...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Corrolla, Camry...what's the difference? ;)

Camrys are nicer than Corollas:lol:

Honestly, if you paid what I know these things to be going for...the LGT was a far better choice. And what part of sport and luxury does the LGT NOT have? I considered a GTI when I was getting a car...but the VW troubles kept me far far away....

Congrats. I dig the new VWs... I traded my R32 for a spec.B only because I wanted 4 doors. Currently, VW doesn't make a 4-door AWD vehicle for around $30k. There's the Passat 3.2 AWD, but it's a tiptronic and it's close to $40k optioned out. Whoa...

A friend of mine has a Jetta GLI, like you... with the DSG tranny. I must say it does kick rear with the forward shifting and rev-matched downshifts.

Congrats. I dig the new VWs... I traded my R32 for a spec.B only because I wanted 4 doors. Currently, VW doesn't make a 4-door AWD vehicle for around $30k. There's the Passat 3.2 AWD, but it's a tiptronic and it's close to $40k optioned out. Whoa...

A friend of mine has a Jetta GLI, like you... with the DSG tranny. I must say it does kick rear with the forward shifting and rev-matched downshifts.

I considered the 4motion Passat too, but it's 100% FWD biased and very expensive. Plus, like you said, no cool DSG tranny. No torque converter on the DSG tranny so power to the wheels is equal to manual tranny.

Here's some more on the DSG tranny: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-c...ansmission.htm

Here's some info on the 2.0 FSI motor. Ward's 10 Best: http://wardsauto.com/reports/2006/te...o_audi_ag_fsi/

-----Original Message-----

Well - here's a twist - I just traded a 03 Passat W8 wagon in for my 06 LGT LTD and I am very ahppy to be rid of my local VW dealer (stealer) and the VERY uncertain ownership experience of a VW with 85+K miles on it. My LGT is faster than the W8 but I must say that the Passat was a very nice car on the highway. All in all - I'm very happy with my new Subie and am looking forward to getting it to stage #2. First will be sway bars then the AP.

Enjoy your new Jetta! I'm diggin my LGT.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the new ride. Stay away from VWvortex.com, or you'll be spending $$$thousands in mods :) I'm actually coming out of a jetta (MKIV wagon) into the LGT. Vw's do seem to have most problems right off the bat, so you might be ok. Mine had all the bugs worked out by about 5000 miles. The looks of the new jetta are what made me look elsewhere for a car. I was thinking of the A3, but i was sick of the front tires spinning so easily and an AWD A3 only came with the v6 and a huge price tag. Good luck again, oh and don't even breath anything about mods near the dealership, they will void your warranty. I'm serious.

I just sold my VW product (Audi A4) for a 06 LGT. I too had my share of repair expenses. Good luck. If you haven't purchased the extended warranty, I would with the VW. I spent $10K in Maint and repairs on my unmodded A4 from mile 60,000 to 141,000. I would advise you not to chip it, as it simply works those turbos too hard for decent reliability.

Trust me, I thought long and hard about the Legacy, but it just doesn't meet my needs. I wanted sport and luxury and the GLI fits the bill. Plus, for whatever reason I am drawn to the German car look these days.

Funny you say that because I bought the car despite all the reliability issues/rumors I read about. This is my first VW and I truly believe they are trying to change their image. From what I can tell so far, the car is put together very well. Fit and finish is far better than what I had expected. I only have 3500 miles on it to date so mechanically, it's too early to tell.

I'll admit, I'm taking a slow approach to making modifications. I could purchase an ECU flash right now for $500 and add 50hp/80tq at the flywheel, but I'm holding off for a year. I've always believed cars show their problems in the first year of ownership as I have never purchased an extended warranty.

I am not trying to flame here, so don't take this the wrong way...

I am just curious as to how you get "Jetta GLI" from what you say you were looking for... Sport and Luxury... (I'll leave appearance to your taste, although I will say I don' think the new Golf/Jetta is as good looking as a Legacy, especially a Legacy with the chrome grille deleted.)

It has less power, and FWD. Immediate points against "sporty". DSG maybe makes up for half a point there.

Luxury? It isn't a Passat, Pheaton, nor even an A4 in terms of luxury... What significant luxuries does it offer over a Legacy GT limited, besides perhaps hids, and key activation of the windows?

I'll admit that Audi interiors, and perhaps VW by association are very nice looking, albiet Jetta and A4 are both smaller than the Legacy inside, especially in the rear seat (then why not go Golf for two doors...)

It occurs to me how often you use the word "believe." You believe that VW is trying to turn their reliability reputation around. You believe that most problems happen up-front... Most quality issues related to initial construction or design shortcomings do show up quickly, but some issues are longevity related, and some things just wear out, perhaps sooner than they should, but not right away. I'm just saying that initial quality isn't everything. But if it isn't intended to last that long, and you'll be buying another car, it may not be a big concern.

How many cars have major problems AFTER the warranty expires? How do you think the warranty term (length of time) is determined? Probably a statistical estimation of when most significant expense-related problems start occuring, and rounded down to an even number of years, or months, and perhaps with some consideration of market competition with other mfgr's warrantys, as a selling point.

It is kind of amazing that getting a new ad agency and putting some admitedly good ads on TV will get people thinking that everything has made a turn for the better. I hope it has, I genuinely do. But an Ad isn't going to convince me of that, no matter how funny and attractive.

As was said quality > marketing, and I would want an established trend and reputation for quality, or at least a genuine market indication of improvement.

I haven't purchased yet, and I have looked long and hard at the Audi A4, which is another VAG product. I have passed it by and planning on a Legacy GT. I am glad you got the car you want, that is what free market is all about, but I can't quite see your reasons as something persuasive toward the Jetta or away from the LGT. That is just me.

On the Jetta, itself, I am not so fond of the trailing edge of the rear side windows, nor the headlight/grille treatment, or the overall convex line of the car, (beltline down the side seems to have an arch that is high in the middle, and low at the front and back ends. I like coke-bottle curves, or wedge lines, myself... again a matter of taste.)

I do like the look of the BBS rims, and BFG tires over the red calipers. The tail lights on that car are cool, too.

All commentary aside, I hope you like it, and it serves you well. I don't wish ill on anyone over a simple dissagreement on product choice. Diff'rnt strokes for diff'rnt folks, and all...

It looks bad because of the camera flash and shadowing of the gap.

Trust me, I thought long and hard about the Legacy, but it just doesn't meet my needs. I wanted sport and luxury and the GLI fits the bill.

A VW Jetta fit your sport and luxury needs better than a LGT? :confused: :confused:

Plus, for whatever reason I am drawn to the German car look these days.

I don't know, like a lot of others I see more of a Japanese influence in the new Jetta.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

My wife had a Jetta that was deemed a lemon. Not the new one however. I can't imagine you went on this forum expecting everyone to say you made the right decision. I like the Jetta, but with the wheels etc. how much $ you have into this thing?

I can agree that the new Jettas are lightyears ahead of the old ones. Theres no way to know about long term reliability as theyve only been out for a year now. The interiors make the MK4 Jettas interior look like a cavalier's. Theyre very solid vehicles and have been rated very very high in crash tests. This is the wrong place to get praise though:) If I dont get another BMW (going on number 6) Ill be getting an LGT. I dont think theres anything that combines sport and luxury better for around $30K- maybe a G35?

Get the extended warranty or get rid of the car in a year or two. Don't put more than average miles on it. Keep all your service receipts for anything you do. For fun, do a google on "1.8T VW lemon" and see why Consumers Report announces most VW gas turbo cars as bad bets. See why there's a class action lawsuit against VW in USA and read about getting a free replacement 1.8T engine (value $4K, but with the same defects...) if you can prove you changed the oil as much as they say you should in the service manual. Good luck on the "new" 2.0 FSI engine.

I dumped my Passat wagon at big loss on depreciation because there is a weak used market.. for anybody in the know. Am I bitter? No.. but when the VW service technician suggested I buy a Japanese car if I wanted reliability I took the hint and literally walked across the street and bought a Legacy wagon.

VW burned their brand with me.. no going back.

I hope you have good luck with yours, because I'm sure thousands of people could be wrong.

Archived