LegacyGT.com

I passed on the Legacy...

In fact, the VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne share many significant mechanical parts. Porsche must have been out of their mind to partner up with such a lousy company.
I was determined to own a Touareg TDI when they were first announced. Then I found out the $$ they were asking for 'em and came back to reality.

Anyway, if you want to see just how poorly VW can build a vehicle, go browse the vwvortex Touareg forum, especially around the time the thing was first released. Owners were calling them "Eggs" due to their fragile nature. If you read some of the owners' horror stories about breakdowns and how the dealer failed to handle them, I don't know how you can possibly cite the Egg and Cayenne as examples of a good product. Porsche sold its soul in that deal, plain and simple.

Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW those KDW's will get to be REALLY loud after a few miles. I have learned the hard way. If they don't sound like it now, they will sound like off-road truck tires. I will be ditching mine very shortly, and replacing them with Kumho MX tires for summer.

Otherwise, looks good. Have fun.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

BTW those KDW's will get to be REALLY loud after a few miles. I have learned the hard way. If they don't sound like it now, they will sound like off-road truck tires. I will be ditching mine very shortly, and replacing them with Kumho MX tires for summer.

Otherwise, looks good. Have fun.

FWIW, I had Kumho Ecsta MX tires on my old GTI VR6. They became quite loud after 8-10k miles. Many tires with large treadblocks have a tendency to do that.

Volkswagen has it's start with Ferdinand Porsche (commissioned by Hitler in the 1930s to create the people's car, the predecessor to the "beetle"), and the Porsche family (including big-wigs like Ferdinand Peich, former chairman and engineer for VAG) has had interest in VAG for a long time, and long cooperation from the start. Porsche/VW engines, 914, 928, 924, and the Cayenne/Touareg... and probably more.

But Porsche has been a privately owned company, and had interest in VAG, which I believe is publicly held... IIRC.

I though VAG used to include Porsche :confused: The 3 marques have always been closely associated anyway.

Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft includes VW, Bentley, Skoda, Bugatti, Audi, Lamborghini, and Seat.

VW and Porsche have always been closely associated - VW was essentially founded by Ferdinand Porsche.

There have been a lot of cooperations between the companies over the years including vehicles sharing components (like the Touareg).

Porsche bought 20% of VW last year to prevent a takeover by a non-German company, so they're more closely linked now than they have been in a long time.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Enjoy the car.. Have a blast. Pay attention to no one...Have lots of fun with it.

I bought this instead of the 2007 Legacy GT. The car is a blast, but it's still FWD which isn't my preference. The DSG tranny is amazing. I skipped the OEM 18's and went with BBS CV's and BFGoodrich KWD's. It's needs to drop an inch or so. (Just so we're clear, I didn't paint the brake calipers)

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/2006%20Jetta%20GLI/P4090058.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/2006%20Jetta%20GLI/P4090054.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i75/Monoman1/2006%20Jetta%20GLI/P4040039.jpg

Got Torque ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now I am especially glad I didn’t wait for the 2007 spec. b. My only regret is not waiting for the 2007 Infiniti G35. Nice job Infiniti!

Let me know when Subaru decides to make a Legacy STi.

I was determined to own a Touareg TDI when they were first announced. Then I found out the $$ they were asking for 'em and came back to reality.

Anyway, if you want to see just how poorly VW can build a vehicle, go browse the vwvortex Touareg forum, especially around the time the thing was first released. Owners were calling them "Eggs" due to their fragile nature. If you read some of the owners' horror stories about breakdowns and how the dealer failed to handle them, I don't know how you can possibly cite the Egg and Cayenne as examples of a good product. Porsche sold its soul in that deal, plain and simple.

An @sshat in a V10 TDI "egg" thought he was superman behind the wheel yesterday...Punching it from every light, trying to prove he was the fastest thing on the road. I mean the thing is quick, especially for a diesel, but come on it's no Cayenne Turbo.

I ignored him at first, but after the 3rd time he cut me off I was sufficiently annoyed. The LGT and I were forced to have a very brief but to the point "conversation" with him. I'm sure the guy still thinks he is quick, but now he knows that he isn't THAT quick. :icon_bigg

LGT= kryptonite :lol:

I like VWs to drive, but not to own. They are expensive to buy and expensive to own for what you get, especially in the long term.

Hah, I hope they don't change the grill on the LGT. If they do, I'll be glad that I bought an '06 :lol: .

What is it with car makers and this ill proportioned grill fetish they all have nowadays. Chrome is back and brother it aint't good. Surely the plebians of our society (not us -- THEM) don't like such crapola. :iam:

Archived