LegacyGT.com

Bosal/SPT catback is NOT a quality build

BOXRPWR

Even though they had 1.5 years ;) the first run of any product is never top notch, it takes a few revisions to get it perfect.....maybe us "first batch" buyers can get a replacement, or some sorta %refund for futures fixes.......who knows. I'll talk to my dealer who I bought it through and start the PITA process of getting this corrected....but I'm not just gonna write it off quite yet..

You are right about the first run. I understand that.

But, there are a couple of things to note.

This exhaust requires the use of items which Bosal makes TONS of. This is an exhaust company! I just find it a bit ridiculous that they would have no idea what to expect from the materials they chose to use in this product.

Also, the fact that a good percentage of the Bosal owners in this board that issues with the exhaust in one way or another shows that quality control is certainly an issue in that company. One particular user mentioned receiving the exhaust with a dented tip.. wrapped and inside a box that was intact. Meaning that the exhaust was PACKED in such condition.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's just an exhaust, not some high-tech item. i could see if some of the bends were slightly off due to production tolerances, but leaking welds and mufflers dented from the factory are unacceptable signs of poor quality control.

just my 2 cents..

Hey J - want to help me throw the EVO2 back on :icon_bigg I'll buy the Starbucks!

You know me :)

I'm down! Make that a Tall White Chocolate Mocha.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

it's just an exhaust, not some high-tech item. i could see if some of the bends were slightly off due to production tolerances, but leaking welds and mufflers dented from the factory are unacceptable signs of poor quality control.

just my 2 cents..

:stupid:

Here's a man that gets it :)

FWIW,,I bought one of the 1st Bosal twin dump downpipes fr my 02WRX from Rallispec in Jersey, a few years back.

When I opened the box it was like WTF?!!!It was one ugly piece compared to others I had seen.Rust,slag weird looking flanges etc..

I wasnt looking fr pretty, just functional, but I called Greg/Dave at Rallispec to let him know that some others may not be happy with it.

He told me that others that were in the same batch as mine had called and complained(and sent pics) and that he would glady refund my money or whatever I wanted.

I told Greg I had access to a lift and was gonna put it on,if it leaked it was going back if not I'd keep it.He said no problem.Like I said I wanted functional not pretty.

It didn't leak and I kept it and got good service out of it fr two or 3 years,matter of fact a friend is now running it on his 05 STi.

I'm assuming Bosal corrected the probs because AFAIK they sold quite a few after that.

I'm not bashing Bosal or comparing downpipes to catbacks but the saga of the catbacks sounds very similar.

Mike/MrYat/Bosal has been very receptive to the board here so I'm hoping with his help and input you guys can get the catback issues resolved.:)

honestly guys, From the looks of that small extension piece that was obviously welded on after the fact. My theory is this.

Bosal had the exhausts all finished and ready to go. Subaru tells bosal that the exhaust tips sit to far in. So Bosal gets the extra piece welded on to the exhausts to have the tip sit further out. So rather than scrap the entire batch, they just band-aid what they had. Who knows, maybe bosal r&d'd the exhaust to fit on a jdm bumper as opposed to a usdm bumper. That might also explain why everything was taking so long to release.

That extra piece really looks like an afterthought.IMO

The grafted on 1" extension is bad enough. But the fact that both muffler cans were showing obvious and significant amount of rusting doesn't bode well for longterm durability, especially located under the car. Plus the fact that one can was already leaking exhaust is just plain wrong. This is not a fitment thing.

The grafted on 1" extension is bad enough. But the fact that both muffler cans were showing obvious and significant amount of rusting doesn't bode well for longterm durability, especially located under the car. Plus the fact that one can was already leaking exhaust is just plain wrong. This is not a fitment thing.

Ya, I agree. There are multiple things wrong w/that exhaust system. I'm sure your claim will be handled appropriately though. Sorry to see something like this happen though.

you left, I checked the mailbox... your brake fluid is here.

I have to admit, it was good to have the roudy and noisy back in the neighborhood ;)

boxrpwr, is 100% right, a product in develoment stage i.e. getting jigs set up, making practice runs, etc. is one thing, shipping a finished product is another, there is NO reason you can use to justify a shipped product from a major manufacturer like this, if you can see these flaws, what do you think is inside that you can't see?, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

A little off topic, but since I'm pretty sure the seller here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Greddy-EVO2-Exhaust-for-05-06-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Sedan_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33630QQitemZ8054250105QQrdZ1

isn't Kevin, it is kinda funny that Kevin's car is in the auction pics!

BTW Kevin, if you are still looking for a quieter exhaust I do happen to know of another option :icon_wink

^^^^^^ Son of a bitch....that's my ride alright! Heck, kinda flattering actually. I always liked that pic. At least they washed out my plate.

UPDATE: Dave @ mspt called me back and is going to do the right thing. In fact, he's having me ship the Bosal directly to Subaru Corp. office so they can assess it. I guess I got the corp furr flying! Proves the saying "Don't Mess With Texas!" (born & raised there).

Paul - this experience has taught me that my Greddy EVO2 is a very fine exhaust and I'm going to live with it for a while. Honestly, my 20G boost response is much better with the wide-open, free breathing EVO2.

^^^^^^ Son of a bitch....that's my ride alright! Heck, kinda flattering actually. I always liked that pic. At least they washed out my plate.

UPDATE: Dave @ mspt called me back and is going to do the right thing. In fact, he's having me ship the Bosal directly to Subaru Corp. office so they can assess it. I guess I got the corp furr flying! Proves the saying "Don't Mess With Texas!" (born & raised there).

Paul - this experience has taught me that my Greddy EVO2 is a very fine exhaust and I'm going to live with it for a while. Honestly, my 20G boost response is much better with the wide-open, free breathing EVO2.

Is the EVO2 just that loud that people can't deal with it on a daily basis? Highway drone?

Is the EVO2 just that loud that people can't deal with it on a daily basis? Highway drone?

On a scale of 1 - 10, the EVO2 is a 8.5

Yes, its loud. Its not ear-piercing, blood curdling loud. It just cant help but be heard when you get on the throttle. Heck its 3" piping all the way thru the Y.

As for daily driving and highway drone, personally I don't have a problem with it. It does invade the cockpit noticably more than stock. I have to keep the radio knob above 12-15 just to hear it clearly. Higher if you want to enjoy a song.

The cruising noise level and frequency (sound) is not uncomfortable at all.

:icon_mad: Ugg!!!! Just when I was gonna go the SPT/BOSAL route w/subie bux!! Hmmm.. wait for the crucial in spring? summer?:iam: . The Cobb CBE to-

be released in 200_????? *&%$#!!!! Greddy is prob. gonna be it. DAMN!!

Well sorry to the people that are suffering the PIA that goes with paying good $$ for crappy merchandise. It's just a good thing this forum is here to share knowledge about a good or bad product.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Well I wouldn't completely jump on the bandwagon to not buy Bosal. Come on guys... you have to give the manufacuter time to correct mistakes!! Something that is mass produced is bound to have certain problems with a few products. To my knowledge there have been a few complaints about quality but I haven't yet seen a post about someone returning a product and being denied a replacement or that they have experienced bad customer service in trying to get a better catback system. So how can a company better their products if no one is complaining to them that it sucks or that they recieved a bad one? How can they get a chance to correct a mistake if one hasn't been reported to them?

If they refuse or do not correctly correct mistakes then yes, go ahead and boycott their product, but don't do so without giving them a chance!

I'm really eyeing the SPT exhaust, but I'm not jumping on any bandwagon until Bosal/SPT has been given sufficient time to correct production mistakes.

That's bullsh!t and you know it. How many GReddy/Tanabe/DC Sports/etc. exhaust systems have "bad" first runs? They come out and WORK the first time and are all of the highest quality. If anything a system made in conjunction with Subaru should have the best fit and finish, bar none. Think of how well made and well designed the SOA factory gauges are (down to the length of the wiring and such). There is no excuse for such a poor quality product, first run or not.

Archived