LegacyGT.com

Bosal/SPT catback is NOT a quality build

BOXRPWR

still no reply from bosal on the boards. Is there any indication that the second batch that was already made and on their way had any changes made to correct the problems? If not then the next bunch (65 of them) will have the same issues.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sent Mike another email this morning as the second batch was supposed to be in last week, but the inventory at the warehouse still says nothing there. The problems were not reported until the second batch was made and enroute. I'm gonna inspect mine with great care and if there is a obvious problem, just not accept the order. My hope is that it was a manufacturing defect/fluke/whatever in the first batch and the second will be ok. I am getting a bit antsy though because I have a Protune date set for April 29 and Mike assured me the system would be in in time for me to install before the 29th. Fingers crossed that all wil go as planned.

Has anyone figured out how to get the mufflers to hang at the same height? Like others have mentioned, my passenger side can hangs way lower than the driver side. Which flange should i be adjusting to level them?

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else is running this catback with an aftermarket uppipe/downpipe, but it isn't really that quiet inside the cabin. Sounds good but there is a slight drone at lower rpm's. Has anyone had a resonator welded in?

I have a hard time understanding how adjusting flanges would fix the uneven mufflers position problem (although I've also been told that it's a fix). If you loosen the flanges and then tighthen them up again, it's logical that the mufflers are going to return to the same original uneven hanging. The flanges' position is not adjustable, and when they are tightened up the mufflers hang at a different height.

I was just hoping that maybe a slight rotation (maybe 1cm or so, since there is some wiggle room) at the downpipe flange might result in a more dramatic height adjustment at the muffler end....but who knows.

still no reply from bosal on the boards. Is there any indication that the second batch that was already made and on their way had any changes made to correct the problems? If not then the next bunch (65 of them) will have the same issues.

dave @ mspt told me that yes indeed, a 2nd batch of up to 80 units had already left the mfg plant in So. Africa heading for dealerships and distributors in the U.S.

so YES, all the 2nd gen units will most likely be just as crappy as mine was.

dave said that the Bosal office in N.J. (or N.Y. I don't remember) was "well aware of the complaints on the LGT board." sure would be nice if they had the corporate balls to say something here.

so basically, don't buy the SPT exhaust. The problem most likely wasn't recified in time for the 2nd batch and it'll take a long time for 65 units to be sold to get to a third batch. too bad if that's the case. looks like I may go with the Borla. I don't want loud, just a rumble. The SPT seemed like it would've fit the bill. Besides, Borla gives a million mile warranty.

Hmmm, this isn't looking good for a wagon version.

Good thing I'm not in any hurry. I guess I could always go with the GReddy SPC too. I was hoping to be able to use some subie bucks for the purchase though. Well, I guess I'll see what's available when I am ready.

BOXRPWR, Opie and edmundu - Please keep this thread updated with further developments.

jagcars - Near the beginning of the thread there were a couple posts with the actual part number. Don't trust the website.

Thanks,

-Ian

Ian,,

I know they are available and have a part #,,,just an observation on my part that on www.subaru.com under performance parts fr the Legacy, they are not listed and have been out in the market fr a good while now.

i noticed that too... but then again, im sure the site managers for them are too busy raiding bufee's or throwing wads of cash at expensive strippers... i mean, they run a site for a huge multi-national company... as long as the splash page looks great who cares about content!

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

For what it's worth...we've installed 3 SPT's here and none looked anything like BOXRPWR's. Out of the three we have installed we have only had 1 come back with a QC issue; whistling left can. So far the other 2 (and the replacment for the whistling unit) are not having any other concerns making me think it's a somewhat random QC issue. None of the units we installed (nor our display unit) have bare metal flanges, they are all stainless steel.

Now I'll agree welds are not the prettiest but some sets don't look as globbed up as others. The exhaust still sounds great and un-obtrusive IMHO and once these initial QC issues are resolved everyone will be happier.

Regarding the right can hanging lower than the left, after checking the kits we installed we noticed the ones that hung lower on the right, the right muffler had the inner rear hanger welded differently (angled and higher on the muffler) than the kits that hung level, this is obviously another random QC issue that needs to be cleared up.

We have been in contact with S.O.A. and the SPT engineer in charge of the Legacy exhaust regarding these issues so they are aware of, and working to correct them.

For what it's worth...we've installed 3 SPT's here and none looked anything like BOXRPWR's. Out of the three we have installed we have only had 1 come back with a QC issue; whistling left can. So far the other 2 (and the replacment for the whistling unit) are not having any other concerns making me think it's a somewhat random QC issue. None of the units we installed (nor our display unit) have bare metal flanges, they are all stainless steel.

Now I'll agree welds are not the prettiest but some sets don't look as globbed up as others. The exhaust still sounds great and un-obtrusive IMHO and once these initial QC issues are resolved everyone will be happier.

Regarding the right can hanging lower than the left, after checking the kits we installed we noticed the ones that hung lower on the right, the right muffler had the inner rear hanger welded differently (angled and higher on the muffler) than the kits that hung level, this is obviously another random QC issue that needs to be cleared up.

We have been in contact with S.O.A. and the SPT engineer in charge of the Legacy exhaust regarding these issues so they are aware of, and working to correct them.

I'm glad that SOA and SPT are looking to correct this. However, 1/3 failure rate (at your dealership) isn't acceptable. I wish there were a total of all the leaking canisters and low hanging exhausts. They we could accurately see out of the original 25 units how many have issues. Also, SOA is only warranty this for 1 year unless you bought it with the original car purchase. I'm not too comfortable with 1 year of coverage considering the issues people are having.

I'm not too comfortable with 1 year of coverage considering the issues people are having.

It's actually covered by the remainder of your 3yr/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, or for 12mo/12,000 miles. Whichever is longer.

...and I'm also very happy with mine! :D

Ian,,

I know they are available and have a part #,,,just an observation on my part that on www.subaru.com under performance parts fr the Legacy, they are not listed and have been out in the market fr a good while now.

Good point jag.

Then again, the only real performance accessory listed there is the STS and that could be up for debate. STi pedals, Momo knobs, side sill plates and stickers as performance accessories? :rolleyes::D;) LOL!

Cheers!

-Ian

Opie, my only concern about the SPT piece is that low hanging right can. Do you think can can get it replaced under warranty (just that right can)?

Do you think can can get it replaced under warranty (just that right can)?

When I had one dented tip (driver-side muffler), Subaru made me send back the whole exhaust. They do pay for shipping.

-Mike-

Opie, my only concern about the SPT piece is that low hanging right can. Do you think can can get it replaced under warranty (just that right can)?

They don't sell parts of the system seperately, so you would end up getting an entire new system.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived