LegacyGT.com

The Supra revisited.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks nice, but expensive (in keeping with the old supra i see....)

very powerful, and will probably displacing the 350 in terms of japans performance leader (even though i didnt realize the 350 held that title... (insert it is a mystery ghost here)-- but priced in the $40's and $50's, i dont see it ever selling as well as the 350.

The 350z is slow. I hope it at least holds a candle to the previous gen TT supras.

It should. 450hp is more than the last one, and this would be available at lower in the rpm band. Only thing holding it back would be weight.

Methinks that if this actually did come out as advertised in the article, then TRD might even have a supercharger option.

Oh, and "it'll still run 12's".

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Bummer - they need too offer the 2jz-gte as an engine option! :)

Too laggy for huge horsepower. They need to build the crap out of the engine that they are putting in there then boost it. The 2jz is an awesome engine but I think they can do better.

There is NO replacement for displacement.

http://www.danrharris.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/2008suprasmall.jpg

http://www.alojafotos.com/uploads/a1ab5552a3.jpg

The rear of the coupe actually looks kind of nice. better than previous, certainly. But what is with the Lambo Gallardo take-off wheels?

The front underbite is not really appealing to me, though.

DOHC 4.5 Liter V8 would be nice, actually. a 300hp V6 lower trim might be slightly more accessible, maybe.

Price is too high, though. I could see that price or a tad more with a V8 trim of the Lexus LF-A... but LF-A is rumored from anywhere from 80-170k.(sheyeah, RIGHT!) but I think they are going to price themselves out of some of the market, even at 45-50k. That is M3 V8 territory, not 350Z/G35 territory. I hope they are not planning on selling tens of thousands of them...

I am much more interested in the Mazda Kabura. it looks more dynamic, and much more attainable. I can't believe that Toyota wants a replay of the 90's sportscar evaporation, where the cars were good, but too expensive and impractical to be widely adopted.

I think that if Toyota want's to do a Supra at more than 40k, they need a rear-drive 4cyl/6cyl performance Celica replacement at 25-35k. (above the Scion tC in all aspects) THAT is where the 350Z and RX8 live, and where more people who want an impractical coupe (young professionals/gearheads) might be able to afford it.

BTW, these pictures are scanned (aside from the japanese text one... unsure of that credit) from the current road and track, which is talking about lots of new upcoming cars, including the kabura, LF-A and more.

While these renderings look quite interesting and nice, I too am a bit concerned that Toyota may be replaying the demi-supercar '90s, where Toyota, Nissan and Mazda rolled out very fast, nice but overly expensive iterations of their sport coupes/car lines. While very good cars, they were each a cost overreach for these marques and after the initial purchases by the afficionados and well heeled, sales plummetted.

Nissan and Mazda learned that lesson well as seen in the mid $20s to mid $30s RX-8 and 350Z, a price range that seems to be the sweet spot for Japanese sport coupe/car market. Even Honda, Mitsu and Subaru know to dwell in this price range with their assorted performance models.

Hopefully the pricing rumors are a bit exaggerated and will be more along the lines of $30K for the V6 and perhaps $35K for the V8 versions. Much more and I think the Supra will be overpriced for the market and readily undercut.

And don't forget even more competition in the sports coupe market will be seen with the upcoming Challenger, Camaro and updated Stang, eating away at, at least, the edges of the Supra's market.

While these renderings look quite interesting and nice, I too am a bit concerned that Toyota may be replaying the demi-supercar '90s, where Toyota, Nissan and Mazda rolled out very fast, nice but overly expensive iterations of their sport coupes/car lines. While very good cars, they were each a cost overreach for these marques and after the initial purchases by the afficionados and well heeled, sales plummetted.

Nissan and Mazda learned that lesson well as seen in the mid $20s to mid $30s RX-8 and 350Z, a price range that seems to be the sweet spot for Japanese sport coupe/car market. Even Honda, Mitsu and Subaru know to dwell in this price range with their assorted performance models.

Hopefully the pricing rumors are a bit exaggerated and will be more along the lines of $30K for the V6 and perhaps $35K for the V8 versions. Much more and I think the Supra will be overpriced for the market and readily undercut.

And don't forget even more competition in the sports coupe market will be seen with the upcoming Challenger, Camaro and updated Stang, eating away at, at least, the edges of the Supra's market.

I think 35k for the v8 version is a little too hopeful. Also, we have to consider that it's been 10 years (+?) since the last gen supra was released and there has been inflataion. The price of cars have increased a lot in the last decade and a half with Toyota introducing Lexus, paying 30+ for an import isn't that unusual anymore. If the Supra gets rebadged under Lexus I would expect at least 50k for the v8 version, close to the SC430. If it's still under toyota, maybe 40k for the v8. I think the most interesting thing will be how well it holds boost.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I don think they'll need to be pretty aggressive, price wise, even for a V8 version. This will be especially true once GM and DC come out with thier fire breathing 400+ V8 Camaro and Challenger for what I suspect will be the low $30s (and presumably Ford will have an uprated Stang, 5.4 perhaps, in that same category). Sure, a bit of apples and oranges with these comparisons, but still some significant relevance in the overall sport coupe market niche.

Maybe $39,999 max for the V8 Supra.

I agree 50k is about right. Its competition will be the non-Z06 Corvette. The Supra was never a mass sell car for Toyota.

I just hope the engine is as bullet proof as the old supra engine. That engine is still being sold and used in drag races and retrofits for all kinds of vehicles.

Archived