LegacyGT.com

The Supra revisited.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... but I think they are going to price themselves out of some of the market, even at 45-50k. That is M3 V8 territory, not 350Z/G35 territory. I hope they are not planning on selling tens of thousands of them...

Exactly, at this price, not only do people look for performance but for status as well, and this is M3/S4 territory, which those cars do bring status and tell others you are rich and like performance......

I am much more interested in the Mazda Kabura. it looks more dynamic, and much more attainable. I can't believe that Toyota wants a replay of the 90's sportscar evaporation, where the cars were good, but too expensive and impractical to be widely adopted.

The Mazda Kabura is a really sweet car, and it's coming to compete with the Polstice and the new Saturn version as well.. .Really great car, just waiting to see the power it will put out....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

M3 $48,900

S4 $46,400

EVO 9 31,399

STI $32,995

Supra $??,???

Exactly!!!! They cannot be on up 40's, otherwise they won't be able to compete with the german breeds!!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

It's got 8 cylinders and 100 more horsepower. It's not meant to compete with those cars. It's going to be marketed just like the last one.

FYI, M3's are coming with a V8 under the bonnet and 400+ hp, so will the next gen S4 for 07 with higher hp!!!!!

Not meant to compete with these cars? Meant to compete with what? Ferraris? Lambos? heheheehhehehe

Not meant to compete with 350's and STi/EVO's either I guess

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

FYI, M3's are coming with a V8 under the bonnet and 400+ hp, so will the next gen S4 for 07 with higher hp!!!!!

I was not aware of that. Then what is wrong with the elevated pricetag?

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I hate seeing how the Japanese manufacturers are moving towards larger engines. Imo delivering 280HP from a 2l engine is an art. Old supra was 3.0 TT, but still a lot of horses for engine not that big.

Japan has very high taxes for engine sizes thats why they were appealing to middle class people with smaller engine with big punch. Looks like its going away now.. shame.....

As for the market, ok, Supra is a great looking car, but with this engine size it will have to compete with cheaper Mustangs, Challengers, and Camaros (if they come out) and it's not gonna be easy, since these cars are just as powerful, and maybe even better looking.

I think Subaru should enter Sports car market and put their 2l Turbo boxer engine in the middle of some roadster to absolutely kill the competition. Or how about 3L Twin scroll turbo....

I think Subaru should enter Sports car market and put their 2l Turbo boxer engine in the middle of some roadster to absolutely kill the competition. Or how about 3L Twin scroll turbo....
All the other Automanufacturers are paying Subaru not to do it

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Of course it is a joke.

It is funny, because properly executed, a straight subaru sports car would be HUGE, considering the powertrains subaru is capable of. and it is plausible that other companies would be SCARED of it.

I'd love to see a mid engined subaru AWD. Something like the second generation MR2, updated to current, longitudinal flat engine set mid-engine and transaxle, with a reversed output to direct the third driveshaft FORWARD instead, with a differential at the front. DCCD reversed as well, selectable between AWD 65% rear, and 100% rear wheel drive (half-shafts, in this application...)

in a decently stylish two-seat package, with 4-wheel double-wishbone suspension setup, it could be a real monster.

2.5 Twin-scroll, 3.0 Twin-turbo H6... Flat-8..., Twin-twin-scroll H8..., how fast you wanna go? :D

Car companies are forgetting why the cars of the 90s were so popular to mod -- they all had turbos!

Modding a NA car is nowhere near as rewarding. You have a few that want to spend $10k plus on a custom forced induction setup but the average joe has no BPU path to follow. No quick 2-3 extra psi, no quick exhaust mods, nothing. Just the "you bought it so enjoy it stock" engine.

I bought my car because it was turbo, and AWD. If Subaru released a turbo H6 version tomorrow I'd be in line to buy it. No matter how good a car is, boost makes it better!

And don't forget even more competition in the sports coupe market will be seen with the upcoming Challenger, Camaro and updated Stang, eating away at, at least, the edges of the Supra's market.

Those cars only compete in the US market, they don't sell squat outside of the USDM. The Japanese manufacturers have to think globally and make a car that will suit all markets in one guise or another, do you think Ford gives a crap about how many Mustangs they sell in Europe ?

Of course it is a joke.

It is funny, because properly executed, a straight subaru sports car would be HUGE, considering the powertrains subaru is capable of. and it is plausible that other companies would be SCARED of it.

I'd love to see a mid engined subaru AWD. Something like the second generation MR2, updated to current, longitudinal flat engine set mid-engine and transaxle, with a reversed output to direct the third driveshaft FORWARD instead, with a differential at the front. DCCD reversed as well, selectable between AWD 65% rear, and 100% rear wheel drive (half-shafts, in this application...)

in a decently stylish two-seat package, with 4-wheel double-wishbone suspension setup, it could be a real monster.

2.5 Twin-scroll, 3.0 Twin-turbo H6... Flat-8..., Twin-twin-scroll H8..., how fast you wanna go? :D

That would be something to drool about it, but.... there is one problem. So far the only people found a Subaru stylish, are Subaru enthsiasts, and for most, esp in japan, its the people who think a big 555 sticker on wr blue is cool, and they never can get laid :D. Legacy GT, according to the guy at AVO, is the first "mainstream" Subie as it stole customers from Toyota and Nissan.

So, for a open top, Scoobie designers have to create something spectacular, a beaty, an eye candy, something that every single person will look at and say "wow, what's that".

Oh yeah, H8? :lol: isnt that redundant?

SOA needs to hook up some of that German interior design! The seats in the 330ci & M3 (only ones I've sat in) are BUTTER... plus you get a tele wheel!

That... and Subaru with an unleashed 2.5 (STi style) motor in a COUPE? OMG!

But.... it is a dream that may stay whithin the shadows of the SandMan realm! *Cry*

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

That would be something to drool about it, but.... there is one problem. So far the only people found a Subaru stylish, are Subaru enthsiasts... Legacy GT, according to the guy at AVO, is the first "mainstream" Subie as it stole customers from Toyota and Nissan.

I will believe that. The current legacy is the best looking it has ever been, followed by the BD... and more attractive than the other subarus in the lineup.

I think if the designers who really pulled off "subtlely handsome" very well on the Legacy, if they could use a bit of the organic curve in the R2/Tribeca new design language, and ditch the gimmicky and odd bits, they could have a really attractive car, better looking than the Prodrive coupe, which is entirely too artificial looking with too many lines and angles.

If they can improve on the Legacy-like look, and stay away from the B5 and B11S concepts... aesthetically, they should be on the right track.

I saw an SVX next to a 2.5i Legacy last night... (at a subaru dealer, not as random as if they were parked together somewhere else...) and I think taking the best features from both could also make a good looking, and very good driving car.

Subaru is capable of designing attractive cars. The pieces are coming together, which they haven't had before. but if they keep with the schnozz look, they'll miss the mark.

BTW, I'd love to see a twin turbo flat 6 and even a flat-8, normally aspirated OR turbocharged... Those would all be VERY interesting engines for performance vehicles.

Archived