LegacyGT.com

Best subaru dealer in MA

digitalh3lix

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whatever you do....STAY AWAY from Steve Lewis in Northampton!!!

They are complete Shisters, worst car experience I've ever had!

Last fall I drove 5 hours to test drive a 05 LGT because they assured me the car was in perfect condition. The car was on their lot for 3 months, they never cleaned it in any way, the car was covered in scratches, looked like the previous owner never serviced it and during the test drive The turbo blew-up. After that the salesman and sales manager still tried selling me the car by stating how it would be good as new after they put in the new turbo. Complete Ass-Wads!!!!

I would reccomend Planet Subaru 100%. Everything from the purchase to the warranty work has been amazing!

Dont go anywhere else! and i got a great deal!

forget the 24 hour of Lemons, Check this rally out! bought her for $250, did 1600 miles w/o a breakdown

its in RI but right on the border of mass on 146, Anchor subaru did my 30k mile service and I was happy with them. the service manager is a cool guy. had a heavily modded sti (like 500+ HP but had to sell to get custody of his daughter or something. never know till you walk in with a modded car but he said they are relatively mod friendly

Somerset Subaru (in Somerset, duh...) installed my spec.b control arms with AVO bushings and Whiteline ball joints & tie rods yesterday, in less than 3 hours. With an alignment it came out to an even $300.

Very mod friendly, very professional, and they had a new red STI on the showroom floor. I wish they weren't 2 hours from my house, cause I would use them all the time!

its in RI but right on the border of mass on 146, Anchor subaru did my 30k mile service and I was happy with them. the service manager is a cool guy. had a heavily modded sti (like 500+ HP but had to sell to get custody of his daughter or something. never know till you walk in with a modded car but he said they are relatively mod friendly

Anchor's service department took advantage of my mom when she brought her 2000 Legacy in for an oil change. By the time she got out of there they had whacked her for $800 worth of snake oil (tune-ups, belt inspections, fluid changes etc). I was so angry I almost drove down there just to flip out on them.

I still say patrick subaru in shrewsbury is the best...they have takin care of me ever since I left long subuaru....and I'm 2mins away from long and I drove the 25mins to patrick...they helped me into a new car when long sold me a lemon...and they have sincerely takin care of me ever since...they have a long time customer on their hands...

I would reccomend Planet Subaru 100%. Everything from the purchase to the warranty work has been amazing!

Dont go anywhere else! and i got a great deal!

forget the 24 hour of Lemons, Check this rally out! bought her for $250, did 1600 miles w/o a breakdown

+1, they're awesome there.

before going there i had to deal with jerks from cityside and quirkworks, worst idea ever. esp cityside, the guy was totally uninterested in selling me a vehicle and did'nt even know the specs of the car, i asked him what the starting price of the legacy was he his response "what? i donno, whatever it says on the side of the window sticker"

righhtttt

...and did'nt even know the specs of the car, i asked him what the starting price of the legacy was he his response "what? i donno, whatever it says on the side of the window sticker"

righhtttt

This is far too common. I've never met a Subaru salesperson that knows more than I do about the car they are trying to sell me (and I'm not mechanical, at all). Some of them have admitted it saying they are often just along for the drive as a lot of buyers know more than they do.

On the flip side I understand they are salespeople, not mechanics and high performance cars tend to have a more educated demographic. It's their job, not their passion. Still, it's annoying.

Can somebody tell my why cars can't be ordered and sold like any other thing and why we have to involve building huge dealerships, hiring salespersons, receptionists, managers, etc etc when all car manufactures have to do is setup a couple demo cars in different regions with set prices and options? A salesperson's only objective is to sell you the car for the highest price. Hell, I would be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks more than the lowest price I can get from a salesperson for the convenience of just ordering the damn thing online like everything else.

Can somebody tell my why cars can't be ordered and sold like any other thing and why we have to involve building huge dealerships, hiring salespersons, receptionists, managers, etc etc when all car manufactures have to do is setup a couple demo cars in different regions with set prices and options?

I'm probably like you in that I'm pretty much a "call the internet sales manager" type and order to spec, pay no more than I have to etc.

However, most people do not buy like us on a number of dimensions. First, a lot of people have no clue what they really want, etc. They might go to a dealership based on brand and then shuffle through all the different types of models of that brand, without ever cross-shopping them against other similar models. For these folks, brand was the determining factor, not the specific car itself, and the salesman is necessary to educate them on the model lineup because they did no significant research aside from "I want a BMW".

Necessitates having a number of models and configurations on the lot, which in turn requires staff to prep off the truck and maintain on the lot

Second, there is the financing aspect. Again, most people don't go to the credit union first and secure financing and then go to the dealer for a competitive offer. They're entirely dependent on the dealership to take care of financing and explain it all to them. Hence, why they're taken advantage of frequently.

Necessitates having a finance person on the lot and paperwork support staff

Third, a lot of people "get off" on the sales experience. They want to haggle back and forth, feel like they've won some battle, and damnit they want a car that day. I'd guess it's a minority of people willing or able to wait even month for a car to arrive. Not to mention the dealership and financing risk of that customer's interest or situation changing in the time since they've ordered the car. The dealer wants to close things as soon as the customer is at a "yes, I'll take it" point.

Necessitates having a large inventory and again, staff to prep and maintain cars

Don't forget things like dealer installed options, which requires the service department and all that staff. And the cost of car production and delivery logistics, which makes having a a lot of general cars going in bulk at regular intervals more cost effective than custom ordered deliveries at irregular intervals.

Oh, and the service department on site to give buyers confidence and convenience of how repairs will be handled, secretaries to handle scheduling and customer service, marketing people to stay on top of local competition and promote the dealership...

I'm probably like you in that I'm pretty much a "call the internet sales manager" type and order to spec, pay no more than I have to etc.

However, most people do not buy like us on a number of dimensions. First, a lot of people have no clue what they really want, etc. They might go to a dealership based on brand and then shuffle through all the different types of models of that brand, without ever cross-shopping them against other similar models. For these folks, brand was the determining factor, not the specific car itself, and the salesman is necessary to educate them on the model lineup because they did no significant research aside from "I want a BMW".

Necessitates having a number of models and configurations on the lot, which in turn requires staff to prep off the truck and maintain on the lot

These people are stupid.

Second, there is the financing aspect. Again, most people don't go to the credit union first and secure financing and then go to the dealer for a competitive offer. They're entirely dependent on the dealership to take care of financing and explain it all to them. Hence, why they're taken advantage of frequently.

Necessitates having a finance person on the lot and paperwork support staff

Ditto. People can apply online for credit. If I can do it for credit cards, why not car loans? When you pick up the car, sign the paperwork.

Third, a lot of people "get off" on the sales experience. They want to haggle back and forth, feel like they've won some battle, and damnit they want a car that day. I'd guess it's a minority of people willing or able to wait even month for a car to arrive. Not to mention the dealership and financing risk of that customer's interest or situation changing in the time since they've ordered the car. The dealer wants to close things as soon as the customer is at a "yes, I'll take it" point.

Again, these people are stupid. It takes a minimum of 2-3 days to get a car in Mass, regardless of how bad you want it.

Necessitates having a large inventory and again, staff to prep and maintain cars

Don't forget things like dealer installed options, which requires the service department and all that staff. And the cost of car production and delivery logistics, which makes having a a lot of general cars going in bulk at regular intervals more cost effective than custom ordered deliveries at irregular intervals.

Oh, and the service department on site to give buyers confidence and convenience of how repairs will be handled, secretaries to handle scheduling and customer service, marketing people to stay on top of local competition and promote the dealership...

There should be massive service centers (with no sales departments) to handle these things. Once you order a car, a base model rolls in to the service center shop 99% assembled. The service tech looks at every option you want, puts it on/in the car, you drive it off the lot the next day.

It really isn't that hard to eliminate the middle man. People would just have to get used to a new way of doing things which is exactly why it will never change.

These people are stupid.

I'm not arguing that they're intelligent, I'm just stating what I think is a big factor in how people shop for cars that necessitates the existence of traditional dealerships.

Ditto. People can apply online for credit. If I can do it for credit cards, why not car loans? When you pick up the car, sign the paperwork.

You're assuming a high level of sophistication. Most people are clueless when it comes to financing. If they're smart, they'll get educated by a disinterested 3rd party like their credit union. Most still rely on the dealership. Bottom line, the majority of the population will remain unable to dissect the details of a lease or finance contract without human interaction.

Again, these people are stupid. It takes a minimum of 2-3 days to get a car in Mass, regardless of how bad you want it.

3 months for my car ordered to spec

There should be massive service centers (with no sales departments) to handle these things. Once you order a car, a base model rolls in to the service center shop 99% assembled. The service tech looks at every option you want, puts it on/in the car, you drive it off the lot the next day.

Massive service centers means less locations and less convenience for buyers to get service. Furthmore, most options have to be installed in an automotive factory at the time of build, in particular electronics like NAV, stability control, air bags, etc.

It really isn't that hard to eliminate the middle man. People would just have to get used to a new way of doing things which is exactly why it will never change.
People would have to have a massive jump in IQ and a willingness to invest time to learn a lot of things that they otherwise are happy to pay a bit for in overall cost and have done at a dealer.

I'm not really arguing your points. However, cars could be built with more standard features (can you buy a car without airbags these days?) and be more modular to allow the type of configuration I mentioned above.

Really what it boils down to is people are stupid and I will never get the car buying experience I want. Car dealers exist solely to prey on the weak and infuriate the intelligent.

I'm not really arguing your points. However, cars could be built with more standard features (can you buy a car without airbags these days?) and be more modular to allow the type of configuration I mentioned above.

Side airbags are sometimes optional, and rear airbags are commonly optional still.

Really what it boils down to is people are stupid and I will never get the car buying experience I want. Car dealers exist solely to prey on the weak and infuriate the intelligent.

I don't think it's that hopeless. A lot of dealers have internet sales managers who typically get straight to invoice + change pricing by order taking over the phone. Also, Subaru makes things easy with VIP pricing accessible for a nominal tax-deductible fee to a lot of organizations.

Anchor's service department took advantage of my mom when she brought her 2000 Legacy in for an oil change. By the time she got out of there they had whacked her for $800 worth of snake oil (tune-ups, belt inspections, fluid changes etc). I was so angry I almost drove down there just to flip out on them.

that sucks... I didnt have them try to push any snake oil on me I told them what I wanted done and they didnt try to push much more besides a detailing wax which i turned down

that sucks... I didnt have them try to push any snake oil on me I told them what I wanted done and they didnt try to push much more besides a detailing wax which i turned down

That's because you're a guy. Car dealers see dollar signs when a woman comes in, whether it's a sale or service they know that more often than not they can rip you off coming and going.

When my fiancee went in to a Honda dealer (Bernardi) inquiring about buying out her lease I went off to look at the new SI. The finance guy she had scheduled an appointment with IMMEDIATELY sat her down with a sales person who tried to sell her a lease on a new '08. After I saw what was going on, I came over and sat down. The sales guy was a bit less bold after I came over but the damage was done. After hardballing all of his offers and repeated requests to go back to the finance guy he eventually insulted us for being "young and stupid for buying a 3 year old car when we could have a new '08 for half the monthly payment." He literally said that to our faces. It was all I could do but lean over the table and give him 5 across the eyes. After finally getting back to the finance guy he told us that if we bought the car out of the lease they would have to do a $1,000 "safety inspection" to recondition the car to "certified" pre-owned status. We stood up and walked out. We called Honda that day and found out that we could work with them directly to buy out the lease. No inspection needed, we sent them a check, they sent us the title. I will never go back to that dealer.

Car dealers are the absolute SCUM of the earth. I realize I am blatantly over generalizing with that statement but I'm so pissed off after reliving that experience by writing the last paragraph.

That's because you're a guy. Car dealers see dollar signs when a woman comes in, whether it's a sale or service they know that more often than not they can rip you off coming and going.

When my fiancee went in to a Honda dealer (Bernardi) inquiring about buying out her lease I went off to look at the new SI. The finance guy she had scheduled an appointment with IMMEDIATELY sat her down with a sales person who tried to sell her a lease on a new '08. After I saw what was going on, I came over and sat down. The sales guy was a bit less bold after I came over but the damage was done. After hardballing all of his offers and repeated requests to go back to the finance guy he eventually insulted us for being "young and stupid for buying a 3 year old car when we could have a new '08 for half the monthly payment." He literally said that to our faces. It was all I could do but lean over the table and give him 5 across the eyes. After finally getting back to the finance guy he told us that if we bought the car out of the lease they would have to do a $1,000 "safety inspection" to recondition the car to "certified" pre-owned status. We stood up and walked out. We called Honda that day and found out that we could work with them directly to buy out the lease. No inspection needed, we sent them a check, they sent us the title. I will never go back to that dealer.

Car dealers are the absolute SCUM of the earth. I realize I am blatantly over generalizing with that statement but I'm so pissed off after reliving that experience by writing the last paragraph.

I know what you mean. I guess when I gauge a stealership (which they all are) I go on the quality of work they do on my car and how comfortable I am with their compitence to do the work. I left and checked my coolant it was low I called them up said I was comming back cause i smelled something and the coolant was low. When i got there the service manager was waiting outside for me to return, he checked and filled the coolant himself with me & told me he asked the mechanics if there was anything else he should be aware of. i guess there was a bubble in the line when they were filling the gear oil and some leaked. they had taken it to get cleaned out and he told me about it up front. I mean mistakes can happen especially with fluids they fixed their mistake and were honest about it so i felt happy with their work

I had two wonderful experiences at Exeter Subaru albeit NH for sales purchased two cars at invoice+fee - rebate without any hassles.

My parents have bought three vehicles in 9 years at Long Subaru, formerly Tri-State Subaru, in Webster MA and have been satisfied there. One issue regarding multiple replacement wheel bearings on their first Forester which the dealer didn't want to warranty, but they eventually did without too much hassle.

I got mine at Manchester Subaru. They pushed me a bit to buy the car that day (and I caved, but it only took 5 hours from initial test drive to finish) but otherwise it's been good so far. Everyone is courteous and professional, but then again I have not yet had problems with the car.

I may be moving into the Boston area soon, and I'm looking for a mod-friendly dealer. Anyone know of one? ie basically a dealer that isn't going to call Subaru and tell them about the mods on my vehicle, or point to my modifications and say they are causing all sorts of problems.

Archived