LegacyGT.com

Filled my DIY Grille - Pictures (~1MB)

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
itsme, does this look like a brothel to you? stop whoring your car in my thread!:icon_wink

Well he ask what am I to do? I just gave him a better view. :)

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Gitster

Gotta bump this awesome thread ... been dremmeling, hacking, sanding, bondo-ing, and puttying for 2 days now. Im happy so far with everything, thanks to the help of this thread. I just put on my first coat of glazing putty, before that I was real concerned about the smooth-ness of both of the corners, but after some sanding the corner fills should look more natural. Just gotta finish the touch up sanding, prime and paint, then mount the grille.

Ive had the car about a month now, i feel its not new anymore, so hacking up the grille was alright!! Haha, anyways will post pics once complete! Thanks again everyone for making this thread possible.

Guest Gitster

'07 LGT Diy Grille (The badge is a bit crooked, but only noticable in a high res close up like this, i recommend you do not try to do this in 20 degree weather, it is not recommended for the paint, bondo, or gorilla glue specifications, I am going to have to repaint when it gets warmer, or do it inside.)

Lgt1.thumb.jpg.cbd5771a8d07f14b75a49ec11f217636.jpg

Lgt2.thumb.jpg.7ddccaf29ca9c45e1719d827d8672c49.jpg

I think i will take the headlights apart tommorow and take the yellow out, should look better. (The car is real dirty, gotta get that salt off.)

Guest Gitster
Yes we know your grille is the hot shi*t superhawk, stop whoring. Jk, but seriously, did you use Paint Scratch paint? I assume that look only works with certain colors, like OBP or the red like superhawks ride. I considered it on mine, but my car is NBP, i dont think i could get the color to match the metallics in the paint very well.

Yes we know your grille is the hot shi*t superhawk, stop whoring. Jk, but seriously, did you use Paint Scratch paint? I assume that look only works with certain colors, like OBP or the red like superhawks ride. I considered it on mine, but my car is NBP, i dont think i could get the color to match the metallics in the paint very well.

I used the PaintScratch.com and the color match on GRP was horrible. It was a shade darker and really didn't have much metallic properties to it. It didn't even look close to the color of the car. I even gave them the VIN to work from :confused:

I reverted back to my original plan to do it in metallic black. I found a metallic black from Duplicolor that is very nice. I've painted and color coated it. Need to find a couple of hours to mount the mesh and install it.

-Zin

06 LGT LTD GRP 5MT

07 FXT LTD OBP 4EAT

Guest Gitster
I used the PaintScratch.com and the color match on GRP was horrible. It was a shade darker and really didn't have much metallic properties to it. It didn't even look close to the color of the car. I even gave them the VIN to work from :confused:

I reverted back to my original plan to do it in metallic black. I found a metallic black from Duplicolor that is very nice. I've painted and color coated it. Need to find a couple of hours to mount the mesh and install it.

Cool, good advice on Paintscratch, thanks. Ill use a local shop so I can go b1tch at them if they color is off. I used the Duplicolor metallic black as well, looks fine. I picked it up at Advanced Auto. I just wish I didnt use haste when I painted it and I was better at body work / bondo. That stuff always wins when we go at it. But, to be honest, it really doesnt look bad and its real hard to see the imperfections, at 5 feet away it looks good :)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was asked before, but I have a question... well actually 2.

1) How difficult is it to spray over the chrome? Or should there be no problems if i use primer...

2) Will the bondo crack from expansion/contraction over time?

Archived