LegacyGT.com

Filled my DIY Grille - Pictures (~1MB)

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest *Jedimaster*
Mine came out a little wavy in some spots- I'll likely redo it eventually, but I'm excited about getting it on the car again!

i know this could be a dumb question .. but how do u take the grille off the bumper? i just did the black housings a few days ago, but while taking the bumper off, i couldn't take the grille off the bumper?? i unscrewed the clips on the top, and underneath the grill , theres two clips which hold it in place on the bumper .. but there seems to be something stuck in the bottom middle. i didn't want to pull too hard unless there was confirmation that i should :p btw, its an 06 2.5 i if that matters

thanx

I too am a first time bondo user. I went to the parts shop and picked up everything that you have in the first post. My question is what is the best method to use to fill in that gap at the top and bottom. is just folding that screen over and bondoing over it going to work or something else. would heating the plastic up and pushing the screen down into it work?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

I too am a first time bondo user. I went to the parts shop and picked up everything that you have in the first post. My question is what is the best method to use to fill in that gap at the top and bottom. is just folding that screen over and bondoing over it going to work or something else. would heating the plastic up and pushing the screen down into it work?

I just cut the screen a little larger than the hole and put in on the backside of the hole. I mixed up a small batch of bondo and smeared it into the screen that overlaps the plastic edges. It dries really fast and will secure the screen to the plastic. It holds it on strong enough to let you use it as a foundation to layer on the bondo little by little to fill the gap. Again, work in small batches of bondo. The stuff dries faster than you can use it if you make a huge blob.

ok kool. now next question is i purchased some krylon black paint. will this be ok? it has that clear coat crap in it so.... but just wanted to be sure. thanks for the response by the way!!!

OTM.

Quick question. When cutting out the middle sections of the grill (the "wings") how difficult was it to cut the sections out smoothly? When I cut the sections out with a dremel, I found myself continually trying to smooth out the areas where the center section was connected. Am I the only one with this problem?

Been working on my DIY grille this weekend- just got back from the hospital with stitches after slicing my hand on the aluminum mesh :lol:

wtf? hospital? are you canadian? i only go when an emergency medical proffesional advises it... otherwise, i use this....

i call it, the Mandaid. duct tape + papertowels. if you have a girlfriend/wife add some neosporin to make them happy, -2 manpoints for antiseptics tho.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Guest *Jedimaster*
wtf? hospital? are you canadian? i only go when an emergency medical proffesional advises it... otherwise, i use this....

i call it, the Mandaid. duct tape + papertowels. if you have a girlfriend/wife add some neosporin to make them happy, -2 manpoints for antiseptics tho.

My mother is a nurse and another nurse and a PA insisted I go and get stitches. Had to get a Tetanus shot anyway so I got the stitches too. As far as being Canadain, no- how uncalled for is that? :lol: And aren't you from Cali, where the men are all, um, sensitive? ;)

ok kool. now next question is i purchased some krylon black paint. will this be ok? it has that clear coat crap in it so.... but just wanted to be sure. thanks for the response by the way!!!

Yeah it should be OK. It will not match the OEM metallic black plastic though, but if you are repainting all exposed plastic, it should look fine.

Quick question. When cutting out the middle sections of the grill (the "wings") how difficult was it to cut the sections out smoothly? When I cut the sections out with a dremel, I found myself continually trying to smooth out the areas where the center section was connected. Am I the only one with this problem?

I can't cut a straight line with a dremel to save my life. I rough cut everything out and then used some micro saws and files I have to cut it down closer to the frame of the grille. I then just sanded everything down. All of it can be done with the dremel and sand paper though.

I just felt more comfortable with hand tools for the precision cuts. I was having a hard time with the Dremel bit binding in the plastic. It was melting the plastic more than cutting through it.

kool thanks VAHKIL!!!!. Yeah i also stopped past lowes yesterday and picked up some rain gutter crap/mesh. Fit the hole to be perfect. its not plasctic it is a aluminum or something along that line. looked like some pretty durable mesh though. if any of you are interested let me know and i can pull the code off of it and search it through lowes and put the link up. width wise it fits perfect. length you would need to trim it a bit.

OTM.

no! it was for about 6 pieces of it. which worked out pretty good today because i screwed up the first one. so i have a few left over.

OTM.

i now wish i took some sort of body shop class. that pink shit can kiss my you know what. that crap was hard to work with going around them corners. i will most likely be doing alot of sanding.

OTM.

finished it up.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/legacy026.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/legacy025.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/legacy024.jpg

I am having mixed emotions right now of it. wouldnt be that bad if i would have sanded it down a little bit more and maybe got some paint that actually matched the car. Other than that i guess i cant really complain too terribly much considering that it still looks better than the stock grill.

OTM.

Thanks for the walkthrough, Vahkil. I finished the bulk of the work today (still have to attach emblem). I'd have to say that it came out pretty good - Rustoleum Metallic black paint is a great match. One question I have: Are the six zip tie mouts that you show the only ones you used? If so, how flimsy is your grill on the sides?

It looks pretty good except for the corners need a little love.

PS: Driving through locust swarms is hell on your paint.

I think my corners are cheating on me. I took it back off and sanded it back down. Went to town on it last night. THere is still a couple of bad spots. One thing i noticed was i used the body fill patches and you used a screen similar to a door screen. I think thats why i am having so much trouble. But i looks 10 times better than before. its a working progress. ill post pictures when i get done.

OTM.

One question I have: Are the six zip tie mouts that you show the only ones you used? If so, how flimsy is your grill on the sides?

Yes, those are the only ones I used. If you can find a good way to anchor the sides out of sight, let me know. It has been on there, like I said, for several months with no distortion to the mesh. You just have to be careful pushing on it when you are washing it.

ok got it done once again. this time i am very pleased. Went ahead and left the mesh untouched and also filled in the bottom part with mesh as well. here are some fished pictures.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/grill1.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/legacy015.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/grill2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/Crucifix79/grill3.jpg

OTM.

Archived