LegacyGT.com

Filled my DIY Grille - Pictures (~1MB)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well two comments from me after just doing mine.

First off, I attached the mesh by using clear liquid nails. That way I wouldn't have to drill or find spots to attach it, I did this on a previous car and it held for years. Just another option since I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Second, for those of you that painted the chrome section, did you have any problems with the chrome beginning to "bubble" after you sanded it so the primer and paint would adhere better? Mine began to bubble and it seems to almost be impossible to get rid of/smoothed out.

Second, for those of you that painted the chrome section, did you have any problems with the chrome beginning to "bubble" after you sanded it so the primer and paint would adhere better? Mine began to bubble and it seems to almost be impossible to get rid of/smoothed out.

As long as you sanded all the chrome off (Start with 180 or 220 grit, end with 320 or 360 grit) and washed it really good, because it's easy to leave finger prints on the edges. Let dry out several hours before priming, if there is any oil or water lingering on the plastic this will give you bubble or "Fish Eyes" effect.

When priming, shoot a light spray across the surface to make good contact, wait about 5-10 mins before coating.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Guest Gitster
As long as you sanded all the chrome off (Start with 180 or 220 grit, end with 320 or 360 grit) and washed it really good, because it's easy to leave finger prints on the edges. Let dry out several hours before priming, if there is any oil or water lingering on the plastic this will give you bubble or "Fish Eyes" effect.

When priming, shoot a light spray across the surface to make good contact, wait about 5-10 mins before coating.

Im still working on mine. Ive almost gotten all the chrome off. Its insane trying to peel it off. Im using a dremel, it starts to strip it when the heat from the dremel contact peels it off. I dont recomment it. Just get a good sanding base down. I had to continue to get all the chrome off because I started to do it, so I need it all off to have a clean surface. But when im all done I shouldnt have any problems with bubbling because its just paint over the base plastic instead of the chrome.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well, I did this today.

Things I notice... I suck in body shop, really ! Maybe I did this too fast or without propre lightning, but it's only cute from far. From near, you see all the hole and wave :(

well, it was craked anyway, so it's not a big lost and I can always try to "redo" it !

I remember I did some "patch-up" on my civic and it was OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I did this a few weeks ago, I originally tried regular black paint and it came out horrible. redid it and used crinkle finish black and it came out great. it was broken before so I had nothing to loose but need to buy a emblem to put on it.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/WhiteRushin02/000_0231.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/WhiteRushin02/000_0240.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/WhiteRushin02/000_0264.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

• 2 months later...
Me too, but i was scanning the rest of the post and i saw that others ziptied it to the clips that actualy hang onto the bumper...i wouldent have thought of that...i just drilled small holes in the face of it and put the ziptie threw the mesh as you can see just bairly in the 2nd pic...it dont look too bad, but when i get some time ill fill thoes holes and change the anchor point.....when i mounted my badge...i left it on the plastic part that originaly ran down the center of the grill...i just sanded it so it was even and at the correct angle to mount back up to the grill with out looking TOO slanted... i used epoxy to put the badge back on but it ate away the blue paint so now it looks like its ' frosted' on the inside...any idea on how to remoze epoxy? ...i dont think using heat will work for this

• 5 months later...
For those who have used the bondo technique and had their grills on for a while, have you experienced cracking? I am advised that due to the plastic and bondo having very different expansion/contraction characteristics, that cracks will develop in those areas.

• 2 years later...
i get all the mesh part. but im scared to cut the middle out cause im not sure how to bondo the holes. and i dont have any experience working with body stuff. any tips?

It's fairly easy to do, just mix the bondo with the hardner together as directed. Sand over the area with 320 grit paper and then use a plastic scraper and smoothly apply bondo over the holes. If you need to apply a 2nd coat, wait about an hour an repeat. Let it dry completely, usually overnight. Then sand over it with 320 grit paper again and smooth it out to blend it in with the plastic.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Having never worked with Bondo before doing this, honestly the hardest part is making the mesh look good :p

I need to redo my mesh, but I'm lazy.

It might be worth spending a little more then just gutter guard. It's too flimsy and looks kinda bad after a couple years.

i just used the cheap metal mesh that came with my bondo. who cares what color it is. bondo is pink and i painted the grill afterwards.

put a few dabs on the back sides to hold the mesh, dry. put a small layer on mess, dry. fill in the divet to match surface of grill, dry. sand smooth. clean with mineral spirits, dry. paint. done.

Archived