LegacyGT.com

Filled my DIY Grille - Pictures (~1MB)

I too am now in the "DIY" grill mode!!:icon_bigg Here are a couple of pix from today after applying some glazing-putty. I'll be sanding it again and then some more primer.

Updates to follow.

1839599504_grill1.JPG.7e00e03d71692ff9cdc1d671cffa78b0.JPG

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My emblem flew off the other day when I went through a sprayer wash, and it ended up on my windshield after the blow dry.:lol: The chrome ring was still attached to the grill though. Back to the epoxy and doublesided tape again.
My wife's balls are delicious.

what is the red stuff on the back of yours?

It's the 3M double-sided auto tape. I put tape on the emblem and stuck it to the grill. Then I put more tape on the inside of the grill to stck to the tape already on the emblem. You know how tape sticks better to it's self then anything else. That just the tape backing.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 3 weeks later...

Finished my DIY grill:icon_bigg !! Pix to come soon. I used zip ties and Liquid Nails building adhesive to secure the mesh to the grill frame, and also to secure the emblem to the mesh. The mesh I used is nice heavy duty stuff that I got from Scans007, I have a length of it left that just might be enough to do one more grill if anyone wants it. (free of course) Just pm me your address.

lizard.

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

• 3 weeks later...
I can't remember the exact size, but it had to be either an 8mm or 10mm size bolt. Just make sure to epoxy the nut on to the bolt.

Instead of a washer and nut, I used a wingnut..for easy removal.

Also note..I used Gorilla glue and managed to damage the emblem in the process. After the bolt dried in place I attached it to my grill and as I tightened the wingnut the bolt began turning and pulled the paint off the inside of the emblem...i need a new emblem now..be careful not to over tighten the nut like I did.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting this emblem for the grill. I was just going to take off the 2.5 gt and put a STI emblem on back after I go stage 2.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-IMPREZA-STi-RABBIT-CARBON-FIBER-EMBLEM-WRX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33643QQihZ014QQitemZ330063606444QQrdZ1blem:

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Guest Gitster
Has anyone tried to paint the aluminum mesh material they got from home depot. Im thinking of knocking out all the chrome on the front grill, and go with gunmetal or black on the mesh. My car is Newport Blue Pearl. Thanks

Guest Gitster

Very Nice, I like, How much? ~Borat

Yeah I think im going to do mine black, maybe leave the chrome around the outside like you did. Im not a huge Bling fan.

Itsme: Do you need a front plate legally in CA ? If not, you gotta fill those front mounting holes :)

Guest Gitster

Whats your impression with our color, about making the chrome into black or gunmetal. I mean yours looks real clean, but im still thinking about it, maybe do the mesh gunmetal and the rest black. I want it nice and stealth. Ill quote a new grill from SOA before I start :)

I like the emblem, very original Japan. You want to put that on the front?? I like the 2.5 on the front, im still contemplating that as well. Ill probably stick with the stars to start with then maybe try to get interesting.

I mean when you go stage 2, you could put a pocket p*ssy on your front grille and none would be able to say sh1t. Not that stage 2 is the fastest thing around, but you know what I mean!

Im contemplating stage 2 in maybe 20k miles, but I dont want to do it to my commuter car that I love. I put 180 miles on it a day, not smart.

Very Nice, I like, How much? ~Borat

Yeah I think im going to do mine black, maybe leave the chrome around the outside like you did. Im not a huge Bling fan.

Itsme: Do you need a front plate legally in CA ? If not, you gotta fill those front mounting holes :)

Yes I need front plats in CA that's why I didn't plug them. Just in case. I kept the chrome around the grill because I felt it went better with the chome in the headlights. I had a look I was going for.

143602(1).thumb.JPG.eb080f9dd9f9349b4d0fcd97190d8930.JPG

Whats your impression with our color, about making the chrome into black or gunmetal. I mean yours looks real clean, but im still thinking about it, maybe do the mesh gunmetal and the rest black. I want it nice and stealth. Ill quote a new grill from SOA before I start :)

I like the emblem, very original Japan. You want to put that on the front?? I like the 2.5 on the front, im still contemplating that as well. Ill probably stick with the stars to start with then maybe try to get interesting.

I mean when you go stage 2, you could put a pocket p*ssy on your front grille and none would be able to say sh1t. Not that stage 2 is the fastest thing around, but you know what I mean!

Im contemplating stage 2 in maybe 20k miles, but I dont want to do it to my commuter car that I love. I put 180 miles on it a day, not smart.

You can get an AP when it comes out for your car and just go stage 1. It will make the car smooth and a good @30 whp boost and so far I haven't heard of it hurting reliablity.

Guest Gitster

Anybody use an adhesion promoter before primer on the plastic??

Also, if you got your paint from paintscratch, is it different paint for metal and plastic?

Did anyone use a clearcoat over the paint on the grille? Seems like overkill maybe?

Archived