LegacyGT.com

Filled my DIY Grille - Pictures (~1MB)

Thanks For The Compliments, a few tiny imperfections but ya have to get really close to see them.. over all about 30 bucks..better than 2,3, or $400.....

Thinking About Clearing The Lights Too But Not Sure Yet..seems Like A Task...i May Have To Go Get A Heat Gun..i Tried The Oven On My Dodge Truck And It Wasnt Fun

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks For The Compliments, a few tiny imperfections but ya have to get really close to see them.. over all about 30 bucks..better than 2,3, or $400.....

Thinking About Clearing The Lights Too But Not Sure Yet..seems Like A Task...i May Have To Go Get A Heat Gun..i Tried The Oven On My Dodge Truck And It Wasnt Fun

trust me use he oven very very easy

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice. I have a 05 SWP sedan and I finished mine today. It looks pretty much like yours.

To those who question doing this yourself vrs buying a grill I think its a satasfaction thing. I have the means to buy a grill if need be but doing something like this yourself is cool.

• 1 month later...

I took the opportunity during the 4 day 4th weekend to do this modification myself. I finally got a picture of the car with it done. I think it turned out fantastically.

http://celicaman.f0e.net/albums/sunset7_12_06/DSCN4271sm.jpg

http://celicaman.f0e.net/albums/sunset7_12_06/DSCN4273sm.jpg

Did mine today... wanted to do this earlier but was uncertain regarding the cuts, thanks for the post... very easy.

I would post pics but it has been raining for the last several days so my car is filthy.

I recently bought a stock OEM grill from fellow grill maker Legasee.

I decided to try my hand at the DIY grill mod. Here are the final results. Stock vs. DIY style.

I don't know why one looks smaller than the other. Some kind of wierd optical illusion I guess.

--james

2_grills.jpg.f6884935958145ed257c248f634df443.jpg

I recently bought a stock OEM grill from fellow grill maker Legasee.

I decided to try my hand at the DIY grill mod. Here are the final results. Stock vs. DIY style.

I don't know why one looks smaller than the other. Some kind of wierd optical illusion I guess.

--james

I'm not a grill maker, just crazy enough to try it..lol...I'll post pics of it the day I am no longer embarassed about it :D

In Taiwan now...:spin:

Grilleguy mesh? Did you sand down the old blue off the emblem?

Yup and yup. :) Sharp eyes :)

I think my total outlay (not incuding the OEM grill, since most people would use their own) was about $35

--james

AK Wagon - Killer photo!!

Well I finished mine last weekend and finally got some pictures. Kick it up a notch and painted the badge red. Thanks for the walkthrough.

880358981_Frontlower.jpg.eb7436667370f5babe7d78cfcda0c3db.jpg

261190219_Frontupper.jpg.882cb5eaf5f8b0b81da6a62f697c1977.jpg

My wife's balls are delicious.

Gentlemen,

I like the looks of customized grilles. In fact, time to time I've stood staring and thinking, wondering what I could do to make MY car stand out from the others.

However, after looking at what that opening is for from an engineering point of view, it is an air inlet for the radiators as well as pressurizing the engine air inlet, I always walk away stumped. The Subaru engineers seemed to want every molecule of air they could get in there. To me, the mesh that is often used for the grille material simply has to block air a LOT more than what is (isn't, actually) there.

If I could find some of that honey comb looking three dimensional stuff, I think........ then I see that Fords use that. This isn't a Ford. So I stop looking for that and and and.........

Sure must be hard designing cars to be new, and different, aesthetically, while meeting all the technical engineering demands of the equipment.

Obviously, everyone who has done these mods have gone to a lot of work, and created excellent grilles to make their cars stand out from the crowd. I wonder, though, if anyone has done before and after logging of IAT's and water temps. Since heat is at the top of our BOO list when it comes to power I personally would never compromise heat control for looks.

Still looking. But I DO like that red Subaru emblem. Hmmmmm

Seeeya - I do see your point about air flow through these screens. I've also see other members place screens on the bumper inlet as well, which I won't do because the car will look like a large bug trap. Plus I don't want to restrict air flow down there either

Maybe I'll use chicken wire, it has larger holes:lol: :spin::lol: .

If you can find something that's functionable and looks cool, Let us know. I'm open for better ideas.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I'm certainly no expert on airflow and whatnot, but that seems like you're worrying too much about it. I dont really think that a mesh would restrict airflow to the point that you have temperature problems.

On my last vehicle I had a boltover billet grill, bolt OVER... that means the factory mesh was still there, and then there were very close together horizontal lines in front of that. The only difference I noticed was that the truck looked way better from the front :p

seriously though, if subaru makes some of their factory cars in EDMs and the JDM with the factory mesh grill that AVO sells that taunts me so, I really dont think we have a whole lot to worry about in that way.

Guys I have to say after lurking for about 4 months on this thread now, I just cant stand how far back the mesh sits at the bottom. Has anyone thought of somehow making the bottom lip shorter and bringing the mesh up at more of an angle closer to the front of the car? its like the mesh is in a hole.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Without getting into the airflow thing other than to say the LGT was designed by people who know it as well as anyone on the planet, certainly better than anyone on these forums. That's one reason for its excellent, low, drag coefficent. And, subjective opinions are just that, that's why I added logging data comments which would answer, objectively, some of those questions.

However, your point about the mesh being at odds with the general shape of the car illustrates my point exactly. Without knowing why, you 'sense' through aesthetics that 'something' is not quite right, looks aside. My opinion is, again, airflow is the underlying issue. If you look at a side view of our cars you will note that the connect-the-dots shape of the grille is inline with what a wind tunnel airflow indicating stream would follow. Part of the laminar airflow that makes our low profile air scoop so efficient comes from that overall airflow dynamics. Thus, if the grille were slanted somewhat it would be more in context with that equation, and we would 'sense' intuitively that it was more 'right' looks wise.

Nascar teams spend millions every year in search of miniscule refinements. Subaru knows aircraft, the ultimate airflow machines. We benefit by cars with tiny winglets under the car, for example, unobtrusively giving us better gas mileage and reducing horsepower robbing drag, smaller more efficient air scoops for intercoolers, and quiet interiors. I, for one, am humble enough to not suppose that everything is about looks, and that virtually every aspect of our cars has a purpose. That includes the design of the grille.

Under a microscope a difference in power may be determined, but this is not an immediate negative power/accel mod that you'll notice like adding larger wheels at +4lb a corner. If anything, you now have a mesh to protect your radiator from rocks!

I understand where you are coming from, and appreciate your excellent workmanship. My comments are not to impugn the mod, but to broaden the perspective.

I autox, and heat is the enemy in the engine bay. Every iota of help I can get in reducing intercooler heatsoak is important to me. Water spray, ice, opened hoods and minimal engine run time is vital to performance. So, yes, in my world the microscope is focused more on power production than eye appeal.

As someone said, that's why there is chocolate and vanilla :)

I read an article regarding the Legacy when they redesigned it for the '04/'05. One of the features that Subaru pointed out regarding the design is the grille. The chrome wings indicates Fuji Heavy Industries background in building aircrafts.

Seeeeeeya (sp?),

I've been thinking about it. You bring up an interesting point. Heat ftl is a real concern here. On the other hand, when I think about my daily commute to work, or my general driving habits, my thoughts are that the majority of heat comes from me sitting in traffic, and even with no grill at all, if I'm not moving, no air is going to flow.

My guess is that this is one of those issues that, while yes the original design is superior, due to real world factors, one would almost never really see or feel a difference.

I just read the review of the SPT intake, and they are showing a loss of 7hp (iirc). I installed my SPT a while back, and I could never feel a difference one way or the other. So would 10% (guessing) more airflow make a difference youor your engine could feel? This is the kind of thing I would expect to see if someone went through and spent the time comparing the RBS/DIY style grill vs OEM. "There is a xx.xxxx% drop in flow rates, meaning the average temp differential is .75 degrees".

Thanks for bringing up the point however, its good to think about these things.

PS. Whoops I forgot to mention something. I don't autoX or drag or race or anythign that requires me to eek every last bit of performance out of my car. If I get to work 10 seconds earlier because my intake charge was 15 degrees cooler, well I guess I'll jsut have to walk in slower.

--james

Gentlemen,

I like the looks of customized grilles. In fact, time to time I've stood staring and thinking, wondering what I could do to make MY car stand out from the others.

However, after looking at what that opening is for from an engineering point of view, it is an air inlet for the radiators as well as pressurizing the engine air inlet, I always walk away stumped. The Subaru engineers seemed to want every molecule of air they could get in there. To me, the mesh that is often used for the grille material simply has to block air a LOT more than what is (isn't, actually) there.

If I could find some of that honey comb looking three dimensional stuff, I think........ then I see that Fords use that. This isn't a Ford. So I stop looking for that and and and.........

Sure must be hard designing cars to be new, and different, aesthetically, while meeting all the technical engineering demands of the equipment.

Obviously, everyone who has done these mods have gone to a lot of work, and created excellent grilles to make their cars stand out from the crowd. I wonder, though, if anyone has done before and after logging of IAT's and water temps. Since heat is at the top of our BOO list when it comes to power I personally would never compromise heat control for looks.

Still looking. But I DO like that red Subaru emblem. Hmmmmm

Archived