LegacyGT.com

Filled my DIY Grille - Pictures (~1MB)

looks great..

Bondo looks easier to use than i would have expected.

it is, but you have to use it sparingly unless you want to sand all day. Better to do it in layers to build it up to where you need it vs. slopping it on heavy.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets see a pic of yours further away, of the whole car. I won't be installing mine till spring when all the nasty rocks and sand is gone from the road.

I don't have any pics with the newest form of the grille in. But there are these pics I took a little while ago. The gaps are there, but you really can't see them from these angles/distances..

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24567

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Good luck.

What color is the paint you used? It looks like stock. Do you have any pics of the inside looking up? What did you do about the ridges on the inside?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Hovied- Thanks!

itsme- Rustoleum Metallic Black. It is an excellent match to the OEM paint on the plastic. I left all the ribbed area on there. It hides the supports where I attached the mesh with the zipties. I don't have any pics of the upper portion with me ATM, but you can catch glimpses of what I left in the pictures I posted.

This does take a while, but it's pretty rewarding to see things become something else :)

Do you guys sand things down (if so, what grit sandpaper) BEFORE appying the bondo? My cuts-outs look more like "chew-outs" on my grill :D, do I need to smooth the edges/corners at all before getting ready to apply bondo?

What grid sandpaper do you use for the chrome part?

Thanks so much for these DIY threads!!

In Taiwan now...:spin:

I used 180 for the chrome, or maybe it was 80, that stuff is TOUGH. I was even ready to try a rock, I could not break through it so I just got it scuffed real good. No sanding B4 bondo and the edges do not need to be smoove, have fun.

thanks!...so it's ok to "cake" the bondo on with all the raggedity cutouts?--goode :icon_bigg I'll just sand everthing down at the same time. So the chrome part is suppose to look kinda "cloudy" before painting? Thanks again!

In Taiwan now...:spin:

• 4 weeks later...
Sand and try again. Whats the problem?

yah i threw it on the car anyway... the paint is just... being shitty. its a plastic safe paint but it gives that melting look, like spraying real spraypaint on something plastic... im gona sand it all down again tomorrow and try some flat black Estees model paint on some of the peices i cut off and see how it holds. of course, this paint did find on my test patch, but looks crappy.

and yes a i primed, more primer maybe?

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

Spray lighter with a sweeping motion.

Dont cake it on there.

Also, make sure the section you are painting is flat so it does not run.

i know... i used to paint houses with a huge compressor sprayer =D

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

I used gunmetal metallic it seems like it might be a better match.

123555(1).thumb.JPG.7eb0748b3aae7b3f7f17aeb06f2458e5.JPG

140057(1).thumb.JPG.73904272c9a58cdcfa6440200c42c247.JPG

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 2 weeks later...

wow that came out great. I'm a big fan. I was a lil uneasy at first...thinking about how you're rattle canning that but it looks pretty good from the pics. I think I might do the same but have my buddy spray it. Hope you don't mind me stealin it, haha.

I've had the problem with paint before. The paint seems to cling to itself like the plastic has rain-X on it almost and it leaves untouched holes regardless of sanding. I did a similar mod on my old civic. Different paints do different things. Originally I used this water based eco-safe paint that worked the balls but i ran out and could never find one that would work.

Let me know if you want me to post more pix of the grill and how I did it.

I have to resand the areas that were filled. It was getting too late and I don't have much time on my hands in the first place. Got the stock badge off easily by applying pressure to the back with a pen and then lodging an old credit card between the badge and the grille. Moved it around and it sliced through the adhesive. Just have to apply it to the new grille now.

It would have been perfect if (2 out of 3 items probably would have worked)

1. Could find my sanding block

2. Had sandpaper for sander

3. Had some sanding bits for dremel.

grille.jpg.55608bf5c1c2549d76be535163f36c5f.jpg

Guest *Jedimaster*
Been working on my DIY grille this weekend- just got back from the hospital with stitches after slicing my hand on the aluminum mesh :lol:

Archived