LegacyGT.com

Changed the tranny n diff fluid...

I was also planning to change both my 5EAT and rear dif. Any particular brandnames I should be looking for, for auto trannies.

Also is there a write-up for it. This is my 1st subie and do not want to mess anything up, especially dealing with Honda's back then... Flame on!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going with Secialty Formulation's MTL-R (actually designed for transaxles w/hypoid differential) and their HDS-5 in the rear diff.

I swapped in the MTL-R into the transmission 2 nights ago. I have approx. 200 miles on the new oil and I don't notice any improvements over the stock fluid thus far.

Actually it is almost exactly the same feel.....:confused:

Is it possible to change too soon? i only have 10k on but would like to swap anyway would it be harmful?

Just like engine's, gearbox's (break-in) as well. I just changed mine to MOBIL 1 Synthetic 75/90W. With only 5900 miles my gear oil looked fair, I could see sparkles in the sunlight, which indicates to me that the gear oil was tainted with (gear). Nothing bad, just observation. I still need to change over the front diff oil. Does anyone know what size the torx drain plug is for the front, it looks pretty big?? Thanks

Doesn't the trans feed the front diff?

See Page 11-35 in book. Front diff gear oil level, totally different sump than auto transmission sump. Requires API CLASSIFICATION GL-5.

Auto transmission fluid is different type of fluid than a gear lube.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest *Jedimaster*
See Page 11-35 in book. Front diff gear oil level, totally different sump than auto transmission sump. Requires API CLASSIFICATION GL-5.

Auto transmission fluid is different type of fluid than a gear lube.

Maybe I'm confused- my WRX had a manual trans and the front diff was fed by the trans.

NS has Non-Slip additives that slow down the synchros and help them grab better - apparantly this is what our Subarus tranny's need. I guess guys have used various types of syn fluid and blown sychros out...kinda scary.

Not quite correct. The NS gear oil from Redline has no limited slip additives. The standard gear oil (75W90) from Redline does contain limited slip additive, and is not generally recommended for synchronized transmissions.

I've used 75/90 NS in my 2.5RS and it worked well for a while. Then after about 10k miles or so the 1st gear grinds started to come back. You 02+03 WRX owners should know exactly what I'm talking about. If I were to do it again I'd use redline MT90 instead which is what I'll use in my GT when the time comes. I think the NS doesn't provide enough friction for those synchros and nothing sucks more than 1st gear grinds or grinds while quickly shifting. From reviews I've read the MT90 works better than the NS... my 2 cents

I've used 75/90 NS in my 2.5RS and it worked well for a while. Then after about 10k miles or so the 1st gear grinds started to come back. You 02+03 WRX owners should know exactly what I'm talking about. If I were to do it again I'd use redline MT90 instead which is what I'll use in my GT when the time comes. I think the NS doesn't provide enough friction for those synchros and nothing sucks more than 1st gear grinds or grinds while quickly shifting. From reviews I've read the MT90 works better than the NS... my 2 cents

So long as you are aware that Subaru calls for a GL5 spec fluid, which the MT90 is not. It's a GL4, which means it has about half of the required EP/AW additives.

There are 2 Co's I know of with oil's specifically designed for hypoid transaxles like ours, Specialty Formulations Inc. & Silkolene. I'm running the SF MTL-R oil & love it!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
just to let everyone know.. i used Pennzoil GL-5 75-90 gear oil anndddd it feels the same as stock... maybe even a bit worse lol.. driving is fine, but at an idle, changing gears (just playin around) it's all ratchety.. i checked my fluid level and it's okay

• 3 weeks later...
I've been using the SF MTL-R stuff for 15k miles now. Something is wrong, I have speed & power sensitive whine from the transmission (5mt). Going to switch to the redline stuff and see if it goes away. Has not affected fuel mileage or drivabilty, but I"m concerned, transmission problems are EXPENSIVE. Car is at 33k miles total now.

When I had my WRX we would add a quart of GM syncromesh fluid. I made WRX trannies shift much better and easier to get into 1st. Would that make our car shift better?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 1 month later...

Archived