LegacyGT.com

Changed the tranny n diff fluid...

I believe Valvoline is the standard factory fill, but not 100% sure on that. I put standard Valvoline 75/90 dino GL5 oil in my tranny and diff at 30k and have had no issues (now at 54k), it felt about the same as the stock fluid with slightly less gear noise.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not meant to HJ this thread. Man those 75w90 is hard to locate :(

Went to local AZ,AA,PB and even Walmart, they have crap.

75w90 isn't always easy to find. Try a well stocked local auto parts store. At least they should be able to order you some, and get it in a day or 2...

When I had my WRX we would add a quart of GM syncromesh fluid. I made WRX trannies shift much better and easier to get into 1st. Would that make our car shift better?

GM synchromesh fluid is awfully thin stuff... probably would make our cars shift faster but I'm not comfortable thinning out the gear oil and dumping lots of torque through the gearbox.

fwiw I've tried 4 different gear oils in my car now and redline has been the best shifting AND left the least metal on the magnet.

Stock : rough shifting in the cold and really extreme heat

M1: shifted a bit better when the car was hot but no better when cold. + 2nd gear's synchro didn't work so well with the stuff sometimes. the shifter would kick back halfway through a shift (same feeling I had on the old Integra running MTL before I toasted the synchro). Needless to say I dumped the fill really quickly

Amsoil: Shift great when very hot. A bit heavy shifting when cold. Great fuel economy.

Redline: Shifts great when hot. Shift ok when cold (best of the lot). Good fuel economy.

• 2 weeks later...
so how many quarts of the 75W/90 for the rear diff and Redline 75W/90NS for the tranny do our cars require?

You can use 75W90NS for both the tranny and rear diff. I bought 5 qts and had to crack open the 5th bottle to just top off the tranny. I believe the rear diff takes 0.8qts dry and the tranny takes 3.7qts dry

ignore him, he'll go away.

This really isn't a helpful answer. Care to elaborate why MT-90 isn't the fluid of choice?

Post #46 in this very thread: "So long as you are aware that Subaru calls for a GL5 spec fluid, which the MT90 is not. It's a GL4, which means it has about half of the required EP/AW additives."

Just wondering. With the 02+ WRX (I had a '04 WRX) we would add a quart of GM syncro fluid to the tranny and it made the tranny shift much smoother and was able to get the car into first without comming to a complete stop. Anyone try this in a Legacy?
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Just wondering. With the 02+ WRX (I had a '04 WRX) we would add a quart of GM syncro fluid to the tranny and it made the tranny shift much smoother and was able to get the car into first without comming to a complete stop. Anyone try this in a Legacy?

It works. Been running a brew of 1qt Pennzoil/GM Syncromesh and the rest 80w90 Chevron Delo for the last 20K miles. I have the same mix in SnoDork's car too. It was working fine for me till my last fluid change a little while ago and then I noticed that shifting on cold morning was really stiff. Sometimes I could hardly get the car into 2nd gear until after driving a few miles. I attribute that to the Chevron Delo 80w90 just being a touch too thick when it's cold out. I'm sure if I added a little more Syncromesh to thin it out a bit it would be fine, but I decided to try something different.

I just switched to a modified version of the "Uncle Scotty's Cocktail" that has been much ballyhooed on nasioc for quite some time. The original recipe calls for 1 qt of Syncromesh, 1 qt of Redline Lightweight Shockproof and the rest a conventional 75w90 GL5 gear lube. I wanted something similar that was all syn, and I had an old spare qt. of Redline MTL, so I mixed that with 1 qt of Lightweight Shockproof, and the rest is Redline 75/90ns. Works great and I couldn't be happier. I never really try to shift into 1st when rolling at any signifigant speed, but my tranny now shifts very smoothly regardless of ambient temperature.

I am learning so much.... thanks for all the info! I live in Colorado, so something that can hold up to a variety of temps would be great. I asked the dealership about this, as when its cold she's tough to shift, and they said to deal with it, because any other option would require changing the fluid every season. Again, they prove themselves to be usless unless I need warranty work. What would I do without LegacyGT.com?

life in spin cycle.....:spin:

About a week and a half ago, I swapped the tranny and diff fluids out. I used non-syn Valvoline 75W/90 for the rear diff and Redline 75W/90NS for the tranny.

WOW, what a difference the Redline oil makes! Buttery smooth now. Good cold weather action too. Feels great-especially with a short shifter. I DO think I overfilled it (ooops), but I think it'll be OK.

Definitely consider Redline for your next change.

Is that recommended at 30K?

Are there gaskets that need to be replaced on the rear diff screw? How about the transmission/front diff screw? Does it use the same aluminum gaskets used for the engine oil? Thanks guys........

Bill

There is no gasket for the rear diff, but there was one on the tranny drain plug. I reused it, whether that was the correct thing to do or not, and have not had any leaks.

How about liquid gasket or anything like that for the rear? Required? Or just put the screw back in and torque to specs?

Just screw it back in. I do not believe there are torque specs for either the drain plug or the fill plug on the rear diff. Just wipe the magnet clean on the drain plug and clean the threads up with a little brake cleaner.

Are there gaskets that need to be replaced on the rear diff screw? How about the transmission/front diff screw? Does it use the same aluminum gaskets used for the engine oil? Thanks guys........

Bill

The tranny/front diff has a replaceable gasket, p/n 803926070 (for the MT), rear diff has a liquid gasket (aka THREE BOND 1105), p/n 4403010. They should be cheap, even at your local dealer (I ordered mine on the net).

Speaking of which, I replaced both tranny and read diff fluids with Redline 75W90NS, and for the life of me, I can't tell if there's any difference from the stock fluids.

The tranny/front diff has a replaceable gasket, p/n 803926070 (for the MT), rear diff has a liquid gasket (aka THREE BOND 1105), p/n 4403010. They should be cheap, even at your local dealer (I ordered mine on the net).

Speaking of which, I replaced both tranny and read diff fluids with Redline 75W90NS, and for the life of me, I can't tell if there's any difference from the stock fluids.

The difference will come in the next 50-60k miles. You'll also have the added confidence that you will be able to operate your car in desert conditions or artic cold and your diffs and tranny will function as designed. That's the advantage of synthetic lubricants.

Now that you have removed break in crud and replaced the gear lubricant with a stabile synthetic oil, you're good to go for a long, long time.

Archived