LegacyGT.com

Windshield rattle FOUND!

Since new, our 05' LGT has had a minor, but frustrating rattle that seemed to be coming from the top of the dashboard just under the windshield. I finally tracked it down to the plastic windshield washer nozzles. The nozzles are snapped into rectangular openings in the underside of the hood, but the openings are so much larger than the nozzle bodies that they can move around and rattle over every little bump. Check yours out and I'll bet that they are loose as well.

I put a 1/8 inch bead of white silicone bathroom caulk around three sides of each of the nozzles and the next day: NO MORE RATTLE. An easy fast and cheap fix for a noise problem that would not exist if the WSW nozzles were a tight fit as they should be but are not.

Heavy Metal Killed Beethoven

Support Classical Music

I thought the passenger seat was rattling on the ride home yesterday, it’s does vibrate quite a bit over bumps. On the way to work this morning I found the noise was coming from the passenger seat belt buckle vibrating on the door pillar. Gave it a tug and hung it over the seat, no more noise.:icon_bigg

mine comes from the a pillar.

dR

You find the cause and the solution and share it with me...I mail you 20 dollars !

While we are at it... 20 bucks for a solution to seat-belt height adjuster driver-side (on the side pillar) squeak !

I have one coming from the left side of the dash near the a-pillar. When it's cold out I have to put my hand on the corner so it'll freakin shut-up.

I fixed the one in the rear window by pulling out the 3rd brake light, zip tying up the wiring.

F1 and peterjmc,

I have the same rattle. It is very loud every cold morning. The dealer can never seem to hear it, because the car is not cold.

From my research, I think we have a broken mounting point on the dash. Someone on this board replaced his entire dash to get get rid of the rattle.

I also have an e-brake rattle problem that the dealer is also deaf to.

F1 and peterjmc,

I have the same rattle. It is very loud every cold morning. The dealer can never seem to hear it, because the car is not cold.

From my research, I think we have a broken mounting point on the dash. Someone on this board replaced his entire dash to get get rid of the rattle.

I also have an e-brake rattle problem that the dealer is also deaf to.

+1

My dash rattle comes from the driver side corner of the dash were it meets the windshield. I need to find a piece of rubber to wedge between the dash and the windshield. I might have to look at my washer stash in my toolbox. I also have the e-brake rattle too. Not sure how I can solve that one though.

-S

My dash rattle comes from the driver side corner of the dash were it meets the windshield. I need to find a piece of rubber to wedge between the dash and the windshield. I might have to look at my washer stash in my toolbox. I also have the e-brake rattle too. Not sure how I can solve that one though.
I had the same rattle and used a 3/8in thick piece of sorbothane, but rubber should be fine too. It mostly works. Only extreme cold or bumps cause the rattle to raise its ugly head.

Well...the solution for me is to get some PARAFILM from my lab - if this is the way to do it - . This PARAFILM is a rubbery film which can strech and shape whichever way you want...commonly used to cover the mouth of bottles or any other openings you want air tight.

So please let me know where I have to wedge it. As it is...the rattle comes just a tad closer to the windshield from the exhaust vent. Is that the intended target for the rubber ?

A few months ago...when cold weather came...the fuse box in the cockpit ...lower left hand side of the dashboard (driver side of course) came open every damn morning when temps went below the freezing mark. I went ahead and used this on the edges ...now it is sealed shut. This rubbery material is not extreme heat resistant though... so don't think of it as your next down-pipe gasket but it is one cool material.

Since new, our 05' LGT has had a minor, but frustrating rattle that seemed to be coming from the top of the dashboard just under the windshield. I finally tracked it down to the plastic windshield washer nozzles. The nozzles are snapped into rectangular openings in the underside of the hood, but the openings are so much larger than the nozzle bodies that they can move around and rattle over every little bump. Check yours out and I'll bet that they are loose as well.

I put a 1/8 inch bead of white silicone bathroom caulk around three sides of each of the nozzles and the next day: NO MORE RATTLE. An easy fast and cheap fix for a noise problem that would not exist if the WSW nozzles were a tight fit as they should be but are not.

Is this rattle almost right above the cubby on the flatter prt of the dash ?

Denial is your best friend

Archived