LegacyGT.com

Legacy Spec B takes on the Best, and Wins!!

If R&T is using uncorrected #s then that's even more suprising given track conditions and CA gas. I could maybe see running a 13.7 in winter temps on east coast gas but in the 80's on 91 octane??? Has anyone dyno'd an 06?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking of finding a local AWD dyno to run my car for pre-mod test.

It is bone stock and I'd like to see some dyno numbers so I can compare after its all said and done. I would like to know exact gains and how much is truly accomplished. Don't know if I'll be able to do it but its what I would like to do.

In no particular order:

A) As a driver who is frequently followed by cars with HID's... they piss me off when they flash and dance around in my rearview as the car behind goes over the undulations in the pavement

B) Too many people put HID's on their car or HID look-alikes simply for bling and rice - I want no part of that crowd

C) They suck in bad weather such as fog and snow - the blueish tings of the bounce back is too hard to see through

D) The lights on our cars are very good as they are... not much need to improve in that area, IMO.

I would rather spend my money on a more supportive driver seat with more adjustability, plusher leather or other creature comforts. I realize that HID's only add a few hundred dollars to the price of the car... but I like my toys and comfort - I can see just fine with the current headlight setup.

+4 years :)

I keed I keeed

I also found it interesting that the LGT is right on par in braking performance with the other cars. This disproves all of the people who complain about our "crappy brakes".

If you get on the brakes in the LGT, the car WILL stop very quickly. Our brakes just aren't over-assisted like many other cars.

The specB has different tires, which makes BIG difference in braking, compared to the "ok" tires of the non B LGT.

TT

I also found it interesting that the LGT is right on par in braking performance with the other cars. This disproves all of the people who complain about our "crappy brakes".

If you get on the brakes in the LGT, the car WILL stop very quickly. Our brakes just aren't over-assisted like many other cars.

Doesn't the Spec B have better tires and/or brakes?

HV

Doesn't the Spec B have better tires and/or brakes?

HV

Yes,

However I don't think the brakes are a huge difference. Not like we got BREMBO!

(would have been nice)

However, they are ventilated in the back and I'm not sure if they are any bigger.

One day of track use will get some good testing out of them!

:)

As far as tires... yes those are different. SUMMER only rated tires. So it was nice buying the car in the middle of winter. :)

How much could these two changes effect braking? Who knows.....

Yes,

However I don't think the brakes are a huge difference. Not like we got BREMBO!

(would have been nice)

However, they are ventilated in the back and I'm not sure if they are any bigger.

The brakes on the Spec B are the same as the regular LGT. Both models come standard with venilated front and rear discs. The rotors are the same size too.

You are probably right. However, for some reason I thought there was a slight difference. I would lean towards there being no difference.

The whole care alone is very similar and I can see from a MFG level to keep it that way because of the limited production. Also for buying replacement parts in the future it will be easier if most of the items are identical rather than trying to order custom parts every time.... who knows...

I'll swap the rotors for slotted or cross drilled when I do my next brake job overhaul anyways... :)

You will force me to go into the paperwork and try to find where i read that the brakes were different.

Can anyone verify that the California book stores have this spec b write up yet?

I'm still waiting...

UPDATE:

Just got back from the Borders today. They have the March 2006 issue of Road & Track.

It has the new Camaro on the front cover. :)

I loved it so much I bought three! Why?

I have to have something to give all my buddies who drive Audi, Lexus, G35, and BMW autos.

FTW... Subaru wins the longest name in its class.

"2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT spec.B"

just eding out the

2006 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro S-Line

All right, I just thought a little more about these ultra-fast acceleration times. See if my logic is correct...

The Spec-B's larger diameter tires give it longer gearing effectively. The turbo motor in the Legacy excels at midrage power, with a large torque curve that falls off up top. These now longer gears mean that the Spec-B stays in the tq rich midrange longer, possibly hitting 60 before the tq starts to fall off.

This effects the quarter mile too. Every shift in the Spec-B will take you to a lower RPM vs. the equivalent shift in the GT. This means you are put back into the thick powerband, instead of stying up where the torque falls off. There might not be a 3rd-4th shift involved either since 3rd goes higher...

This, when combined w/ stiffer springs/better tires helping the launch could account for the better times...

They still launched it damn hard!

Ted

CLIFF NOTES: The Spec-B might actually be capable of better acceleration than the GT due to larger tires which means longer effective gearing

:spin:

praedet....

So let me get this straight... install 18" rims and tires and you'll get better 1/4"mile times and 0-60 times. ... interesting...

Springs are identical I believe....... it woudl be nice if they were stiffer and a inch or so shorter but I believe they are exactly the same springs!

They are stiffer struts....

No difference in sway bars either... if you read the detailed write-up you'll notice that they commented that the Subaru had excessive body roll and you can see in the picture how much its leaning on hard acceleration but it still outperformed the others.

In addition it was one of the few cars they could get into a 4 wheel drift while applying power on the large sweep during the autocross track...

NICE....

CLIFF NOTES:

I'm not saying anything about the 18" rims giving better acceleration numbers... only that it is an interesting idea I haven't thought of before...

I am still very impressed that they got 5.1 and I think they should update thier Road Test Summary in the back of the magazines to reflect this time or add the spec.B in the lineup.

Not the 18" rims specifically, larger diameter TIRES...

Both cars make 60 in 2nd, but the GT is closer to redline than the Spec-B...

So the rate of acceleration would be less for the GT @ 60.

I suspect the lower gearing means that the GT would jump to a quicker 0-20 time but then the Spec-B would pass on the way to 60...

:spin:

JUST an idea...

What if Subaru forgot to calibrate the tachometer for the new tires and the 0-60 times were calculated from the speedo and thus those aren't the real numbers?

I'll have to get a radar gun or have a friend catch up to me and check our speedos.... just a thought.. I'm probalby dead wrong...

JUST an idea...

What if Subaru forgot to calibrate the tachometer for the new tires and the 0-60 times were calculated from the speedo and thus those aren't the real numbers?

I'll have to get a radar gun or have a friend catch up to me and check our speedos.... just a thought.. I'm probalby dead wrong...

IIRC, there is a parameter that lets you choose between 17" or 18" wheel calibration simply by connecting a Subaru diagnostic tool to the ECU through the OBD-II port. Supposedly this calibration setting is included on all LGT models, including the 2005 models.

I doubt Subaru could sell a car with an inaccurate speedometer.

I've now test driven the MS6 twice. It corners flat, but with a touch of understeer, and never feels agile. Too heavy. With the front-biased AWD system throttle-induced oversteer just doesn't happen.

Overall it's quick and doesn't lean in turns, but otherwise just isn't much fun to drive. Add in the ugly exterior (the front end and wheels totally don't cut it with me) and this one's going to be piling up on dealer lots.

When I first tried to drive one the dealer was treating it like a collector's item. This time a different dealer had 10-12 on the lot. No rebates yet, but they're coming.

I should have a full review posted at epinions (www.epinions.com/user-mkaresh ) in the next couple of days.

I'd much rather have an LGT. If I'd actually gotten off my butt and bought a MT5 wagon last year, would they still be offering that combo today?

Archived