LegacyGT.com

Legacy Spec B takes on the Best, and Wins!!

No way the MS6 takes that long to get to 100. C&D got in there in 14.5 (Feb issue). Sounds like a misprint.

But very few reviews have been kind to the MS6. Generally they feel it lacks refinement. I've had only a little seat time in one, noticed nothing untoward. Except that it's just too ordinary looking a car, very little in the way of style. I wish they'd used the five-door instead. The Legacy is a very attractive sedan for those who notice subtleties, but most sedans including the Mazda6 are just blah. The Mazda6 5-door isn't much more distinctive, but it is more distinctive.

Yeah, I know they went with the sedan for torsional rigidity. But if BMW can build a wagon and sedans with rear seats that fold...

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did check the graph... It seems like it went into heatstroke stroke because of the 91 octane and high ambient temps.

Mazda is gonna have problems soon. People are already starting to demand compensation. Apparently the only way they make advertised horsepower is in the dead of winter or...

With a bag of ice funneled into the intercooler running race gas with high powered fans blowing into an open engine bay.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=44818

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=46672

How could they NOT know this was a problem? Mazda America is in Irvine CA for godsakes land of 91 octane and 80 degree weather. I will be willing to bet sombody is gonna loose thier job at Mazda real soon.
The R&T test was performed in Irvine, CA! :lol:

I just skimmed that issue in Borders (will buy it later...) and it was great!

Audi bested the Spec B on "Subjective" terms (interior quality, etc...) with the "old fogey" editors preferring it.

The Spec B won overall when price adjustment became a factor, and won in terms of outright quantitative performance. Also preferred by the "young whipper-snappers."

Those two were above the rest of the feild by an appreciable margin.

Although I am not quite sure if it was tongue-in-cheek, or actually derogatory that they called the 5MT "antiquated." The rest had 6MT or 6ATs...

MazdaSpeed 6 is becoming more irrelevant to me every time I hear that it reverts to limp mode at the drop of a hat. Morons for not putting a scoop or a FMIC on that car, but that would be just a start. That and the minor addition the turbo made on the Mazdaspeed Miata. (could have been much more... and is with further aftermarket work...)

It is funny that Mazda fans accuse SOA of sending in a ringer, after the amount of press the MS6 got before release, and the near-lack-of attention the LGT has received after it's release... And crap-handling??? from fans of a nose-heavy converted front driver? Not that the MS6 handles badly, but it isn't exactly an RX7, or even a Miata.

Dissappointing customers is not a pattern that any company should get into, as Mazda unfortunately sometimes does, and unfortunately Subaru could fall into that somewhat easily if they continue down their cutting-options actions from last year.

The new Mazda SUV uses the same engine but the HP ratings are much lower. Im guessing they tuned it down so it could perform with normal 91 gas.

As for 24.6 seconds to 100..... I'm guessing that was 14.6

Nope its 24.6 Check out the graph... and the 1/4 mi trap. Basicly it all goes to shit after 80 mph. The car went into I shat myself mode with the heat and the reduced octane. They even mentioned it in the sidebar.

Now that I read this article it makes me wish I actually raced this stupid meathead in an Audi 2.0T that tried to get me going the other day. I chose to take the high road and ignore him, knowing at the time I would eat that sled for lunch. After reading this though it makes me wish I made him look like a fool, especially since his girlfriend was in the passenger seat.

I am not surprised the Subie performed this well. It is better than all of those cars without a doubt.

This R&T article is the authentication that I've longed for! Finally, the Subaru community - and Legacy in particular - get the respect long due. Clearly, the LGT was the star of the field. It completely trounced every other "competitor" there. It's track time is golden.

My LGT is my first Subaru - but no means my last. I simply cannot understand why Subaru isn't spoken in the same automotive breath with Lotus, Porsche, BMW and other top-tier performers in speed and handling. I'm not kidding. Even though its half the price of these houghty cars, it offers comparable performance in most any condition (straight line, curves, wet terrain, even braking).

Subaru Corporation as a whole has obviously missed its marketing target by miles and miles. Before I owned one, I equated Subaru with the European equivalent of Volvo or Saab. A decently built car with zero personality and nothing but utility. Even Volvo and Saab don't deserve this moniker but its what the market profile has set. Don't have an obvious answer for Subaru other than just keep putting out winners and let reality overcome perception.

It did check the graph... It seems like it went into heatstroke stroke because of the 91 octane and high ambient temps.

Mazda is gonna have problems soon. People are already starting to demand compensation. Apparently the only way they make advertised horsepower is in the dead of winter or...

With a bag of ice funneled into the intercooler running race gas with high powered fans blowing into an open engine bay.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=44818

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=46672

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/6.jpg

WOW... I've only read this thread and haven't seen the magazine yet but it is a definite must have!... In fact it will get framed up in my house!!!

I can't wait to get it!!!

I was so upset that I couldn't find any articles on the Spec B.... I'm glad I bought anyways and now the articles are finally coming out!

YEAH!

Hey,

Do you think part of the problem has to do with the fact that the Mazda Speed 6 is quite different than the Mazda 6 while the Spec B is very similar to the other LGT?

What I'm saying is the Spec B wasn't some "NEW" thing that Subaru tried. It has already had a year or more of testing in the same basic platform with the 05 LGT.

Also, no one has commented on the fact that this was obviously "STOCK" in other words no COBB AP yet....

MAN with that... you'd think the competition has NO CHANCE!!!

Guess I won't be scared of meeting up with a Mazdaspeed6 especially after my stage 2 takes effect...........

TRACK ONLY OF COURSE!

Actually,

The USDM specific engine/turbo 2.5L + VF40 combo is different than the JDM 2.0L + twin-scroll and I think it is the first time to be used.

Where as the Mazdaspeed6's engine/turbo combo has been used for about 1-2 years in Japan as indicated by members on their forums.

I keed I keeed

I simply cannot understand why Subaru isn't spoken in the same automotive breath with Lotus, Porsche, BMW and other top-tier performers in speed and handling. I'm not kidding. Even though its half the price of these houghty cars, it offers comparable performance in most any condition (straight line, curves, wet terrain, even braking).

Because one will be able to buy a manual wagon or SUV (X3) from BMW.

Krzys

PS Even BMW of USA is limiting the choices but not to SoA degree.

My LGT is my first Subaru - but no means my last. I simply cannot understand why Subaru isn't spoken in the same automotive breath with Lotus, Porsche, BMW and other top-tier performers in speed and handling. I'm not kidding. Even though its half the price of these houghty cars, it offers comparable performance in most any condition (straight line, curves, wet terrain, even braking).

Well, I don't know if what you are currently driving can really be considered a Subaru anymore. . . and I mean that in a good way. The car you are driving is like the one Subaru is currently selling in looks only.

The STi gets its props for speed and handling by whoever reviews the car (although it will forever be compared with the Evo). The Legacy could have been thought of in a sportier light had it been built with the JDM Bilstein suspension, thicker sway bar, and summer tires from the start.

Actually,

The USDM specific engine/turbo 2.5L + VF40 combo is different than the JDM 2.0L + twin-scroll and I think it is the first time to be used.

Where as the Mazdaspeed6's engine/turbo combo has been used for about 1-2 years in Japan as indicated by members on their forums.

I'll admit I know nothign about mazda... I just didn't think that the mazdaspeed6 or anything like it was offered in the U.S. until now.

On the other hand the LGT has been out since mid 2004 running the same engine configuration as the 2006 spec B.

Correct?

that's all I was saying.

Archived