LegacyGT.com

another one bites the dust...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the Post story for those that don't want to register:

Another man was also hit in the accident at the foot of the Manhattan Bridge and taken to Bellevue Hospital, police said.

"It looks like an unfortunate accident," said an officer on the scene.

The police withheld the identify the victims until their families are notified, only revealing that both were Asian men.

The car — a four-door, gray, 2006 Subaru registered to Brian Leaver, 21, of Saugerties, N.Y. — came careening off the bridge and hit one pedestrian, before mounting the curb, police said.

Then, the vehicle came down from the sidewalk, hit the second man, flipped over and hit a taxi, before righting itself and landing in front of 149 Canal St.

The driver of the Subaru and a passenger in the car were not injured, cops said.

Police said the accident was apparently caused when the driver swerved to miss a car that cut him off. There was no evidence he'd been drinking, cops said.

But the roads are problematic even on "a good day," he said.

Cabby Rigaud Mompoint, 53, said he was driving slowly when he was struck.

"All of a sudden, I heard a loud noise and then this guy slammed off my driver side," he said. He was carrying four passengers that he'd picked up in Brooklyn. They were all unharmed.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

props to jon in ct for finding out the info. please no one think i thought this car was funny and took a pic. my own dad got hit by a ford explorer in midtown manhattan earlier this year and broke his hip and arm - thank God he lived. reading the news story helps explain the extensive damage though.

Wow. That really sucks. The people in the Subaru were unharmed. Can you say safe vehicle? I feel sorry for the family of the man killed. Brings back some bad memories for myself..but it doesn't appear to be the Subaru driver's fault. He had to swerve to miss a vehicle that cut him off, and happen to lose control. Very sad. In all ways.

Saw another silver 05/06 Legacy torn up here in Brooklyn. 2.5 though.

It was at a towing facility near my house. I had no camera device at the time so no pics. Sorry.

Front was completely smashed, no damage to the cabin. Could not tell if bags deployed as it was sitting atop a flat bed.

Really a shame for all involved in that Canal Street accident. I will take it as further reminder to drive carefully. Getting off the bridge and trying to make headway on Canal while the light is still green is a tempting though dangerous proposition. Very, very sad.

Charge the driver that cut the Subie off with vehicular manslaughter... these are the careless dolts that need to be taken care of.
I agree. Although as mentioned an experienced city driver might have handled it better. Still, if you cut someone off and that leads to an accident you are responsible whether you know it or not IMO.

Glad to see the suby passengers are ok, but that really sucks to see the pedestrian got killed. That's the worst thing that could have happened. :(

And this is even worse than a normal road accident should have been for the driver of the Subaru because he'll have to live with knowing he killed someone be it his fault or beyond his control.

Awful story...But "Someone cutting me off" is another way of saying "I am 21 and was effing around in my new 250hp rocket sedan"

I don't know the details at all, but it just seems an all too likely scenario to me

A definite possibility, but without more info there's no way to tell. Still, it really sucks. My heart goes out to the families of the injured and killed.

re92a's suck

LOL

I was waiting for that to come up!! Now if only SOA used Pzero Nero's as stock, this would never have happened...

The article would have read "21 yr old kid 'effing around in his 250 hp Subaru breaks the 1.0g barrier, as he avoids hitting cab, several pedestrians."

"SOA praised for using such awesome stock tires..."

Archived