LegacyGT.com

another one bites the dust...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December 11, 2005 -- A pedestrian was struck and killed while passing through a Manhattan crosswalk last night when a driver lost control of his car, police sources said.

Another man was also hit in the accident at the foot of the Manhattan Bridge and taken to Bellevue Hospital, police said.

"It looks like an unfortunate accident," said an officer on the scene.

The police withheld the identify the victims until their families are notified, only revealing that both were Asian men.

The car — a four-door, gray, 2006 Subaru registered to Brian Leaver, 21, of Saugerties, N.Y. — came.

What is the speed limit in this location? This is obviously in the city with some traffic, and some pedestrians...

The car is damaged on the sides, rear, and the front left quarter is GONE. another car is damaged, one pedestrian hurt, another GONE.

"Got cut off" is one thing. in city traffic, you can usually perform an emergency stop in the matter of a couple of car lengths, if not much, much shorter. (possibly getting rear ended is nothing compared to what happened here, which cost lives.) This seems like excessive speed and inability to react to a congested situation.

Maybe this guy got cut-off because the person who cut the legacy off didn't see the legacy coming, as it was coming much too fast from further away.

I dunno, but this seems like A LOT of damage for the circumstances that are described.

I am sorry to hear that another legacy has been destroyed. I am glad that the occupants are in good shape, as it bodes well for the safety of the car...

If it is an honest accident, I am sorry that it had to happen, and things sometimes do happen that way.

If it was negligence, or recklessness, I am appalled. All the safety of the car means little if the car is USED in a grossly unsafe manner.

Above all, I am sorry that people on the street were harmed and killed. Again, I know sometimes it just happens, but it is tragic.

This guy was going WAAAAAAY too fast. I know this intersection well, and if he was coming off the bridge, as described in the article, there is a traffic light about 100ft off the end of the bridge, and it's on a downslope with a slight turn...

IE- he was probably flying across the bridge, had too much speed, laid on the brakes, and lost it, killing someone in the process.

Think about how much velocity you must have in order to flip a car!

Insane.

The bridge is a 2 lane road, I believe speed limit is only 35MPH maybe 40 but I know it is not higher than 45 and I tend to speed on that bridge myself but slow down a lot with half a mile before the end where there's a stop light. But for a person to be in that accident must have been going faster than the posted speed limit by a good amount, ice or no ice. I never taken the bridge to Canal and Bowery to enter Manhattan always the other exit so I can't recall where there is a fire hydrant in that area. The off ramp from that area has lots of cement islands for pedestrains and I don't believe the hydrants are on there unless it cross Bowery a 4 lane street and into bank on the other side. I think the bottom area is opened during rush hour not off hours.

And if there was a patch of ice, I would assume the cars before him would have suffered the same fate? It is a heavily traveled bridge but not sure at 8PM. I know if I was on the Williamsburg bridge it would be lots of traffic getting into the city at that time and with the holidays around the corner, NYC is packed.

I'm around that area a few weekends a month and cross at thos crosswalks thinking at least the driver would know not to run me over. Now I will have to think twice.

The bridge is a 2 lane road, I believe speed limit is only 35MPH maybe 40 but I know it is not higher than 45 and I tend to speed on that bridge myself but slow down a lot with half a mile before the end where there's a stop light. But for a person to be in that accident must have been going faster than the posted speed limit by a good amount, ice or no ice. I never taken the bridge to Canal and Bowery to enter Manhattan always the other exit so I can't recall where there is a fire hydrant in that area. The off ramp from that area has lots of cement islands for pedestrains and I don't believe the hydrants are on there unless it cross Bowery a 4 lane street and into bank on the other side. I think the bottom area is opened during rush hour not off hours.

And if there was a patch of ice, I would assume the cars before him would have suffered the same fate? It is a heavily traveled bridge but not sure at 8PM.

To help people visualize, I've snatched some Google stuff and attached it. The pushpin represents 149 Canal St, where the LGT landed after the mahem. The LGT was approaching from the lower right, exiting the Manhattan Bridge. I suspect the pedestrians were crossing the bridge exit for Bowery at Canal St, where I imagine there's a stoplight.

Canal.jpg.df4438fc79c03ec2fe71b56783a1a0a4.jpg

Canal2.jpg.562e317cb452fa9ced8c8b1ad3f40b0b.jpg

I have not commented yet on the accident itself. Very tragic and it brings bad reputation (at least from the insurance p.o.v) to the Subaru brand (although safe for the occupants) . I don't know shit about the area, but for a car traveling the speed limit in the city (whichever that is...30 mph, 35 mph, 40 mph) the damage is too extensive to be a simple misfortunate happening. While the guy in the Legacy may have been cut off by another vehicle indeed and had to perform an emergency manouver...he must have been driving much faster than the posted speed limit...much faster than the common sense speed limit. This is what happenes when you give high horsepower cars to youngsters that are full of hormones and wanna show off. At 21, you should be driving a Ford Taurus category car - safe but not particularly fast - and certainly NOT some awd rocket which in almost any - even ideal - circumstances, has more horsepower than stopping and controlling ability. I hold the Subaru driver at least majorly responsible if NOT fully responsible for the unfortunate death.

Not many people do the speed limit in Manhattan. Also ever since they refurbished that bridge its been like drag races. When there is no traffic some drivers can't believe how smooth and fast the new surfaces are and just floor it. They are probably the smoothest surfaces in Manhattan right now. Taxi drivers are the worst offenders. No place for the cops to stake out the lanes.

The bridges in Manhattan are one place I would definately vote for speed cameras so multiple cars can be given tickets.

Not many people do the speed limit in Manhattan. Also ever since they refurbished that bridge its been like drag races. When there is no traffic some drivers can't believe how smooth and fast the new surfaces are and just floor it. They are probably the smoothest surfaces in Manhattan right now. Taxi drivers are the worst offenders. No place for the cops to stake out the lanes.

The bridges in Manhattan are one place I would definately vote for speed cameras so multiple cars can be given tickets.

rubbish, speed cameras kill as people stop paying attention to road and look for those things.

removing and isolating sidewalk would be a better idea. as well as making it no overtake zone.

flame me

"have you ever seen a speed limit sign in Manhattan? NO, they don't EXIST. Red lights here mean 'stop if you want to'. the last person to get a ticket in this city was the guy who crashed his plane into the empire state building in 1937... wake the ____ up and smell the maple nut crunch."

I hate to make light, and quote humor in proximity to such an accident, but talking about lack of speed limit observance in Manhattan just struck me...

Denis Leary was talking about how someone could die at any moment in new york... ironic, but still tragic.

- I knew the poodle man, and he hated ____ing poodles.

BTW, no overtake zones, etc. sound like a decent idea, if they aren't already in place, or otherwise redundant with the traffic regulations on that bridge. (I have no idea, I've never been to new york, although my wife lived there before I met her...) Speed cameras are a mixed bag... do they promote safety, or to they cause more trouble than they solve.... debate for another topic.

The thing is, if the guy was already speeding... chances are legality was not a big priority for him, and hopefully a death on his conscience is more effective than a lifetime of speeding tickets.

We can argue about traffic law enforcement morality some other time, but in the end, and ideally, traffic laws exist to prevent this sort of tragedy. Grossly disobey at your (and other peoples') peril.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived