LegacyGT.com

2 Car Garage - Thoughts on layout...

19 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Of course there would be a tool for that. I’d made a crib to do the same thing, but just from scrap wood then screwed it to the fascia and strapped the ladder to it. Do what you gotta do…. I will remember that for the future tho. Cheap insurance.

Finished the backside and got a couple more panels done up front. Got too hot by mid day. I could barely touch the metal.

image.thumb.jpg.d7094f187d07268bfb31abf359d5090a.jpg

Finished the panel install, just need to wire it up. On to the interior conduit prep now.

• Like 1

46BA8B6C-1725-4051-A33D-08A6A22FE950.thumb.jpeg.3fd27f06cfa28d008ba3108d9994c813.jpeg09231145-A54E-4907-94D4-0CEE9B0EAC21.thumb.jpeg.e4ca65079287f734aa7fbe1dd17290c6.jpeg

Aaaand the other side.

There were a few firsts along the way on this project, and I probably could have saved myself a few dollars if I’d not got *quite* so much wire ($4/m x 4 wires x 20m). On the other hand, coming up short would have meant another junction box, threaded adaptors, and then connectors ($15 each for 6g multitaps!!!!)

Just need to steel myself now before I cut that very expensive wiring to length and connect it all up and wire the panel.

• Like 1

Stack old mattresses on ground at base of garage.  Hang off garage roof ledge until blood rushing to brain makes you fall.  Look up when falling. Land flat on back in crucified position. Repeat until done. Refresh will cold adult liquid bread.  

Scars are just great stories waiting to be told. 

• Like 2

Finshed up and tucked away the wiring.

Using a 12" peice of wood to throw the breakers, checked to see if I had power at the garage panel.

Indeed I do, and the smoke even stayed in the wires!

Business trip to Montreal this week, so I'll maybe be able to get after it again when I'm back on the weekend, and install some recs and lights, but we shall see. Be nice to find some extra hands to help tilt those lift posts vertical!

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Finshed up and tucked away the wiring.

Using a 12" peice of wood to throw the breakers, checked to see if I had power at the garage panel.

Indeed I do, and the smoke even stayed in the wires!

Business trip to Montreal this week, so I'll maybe be able to get after it again when I'm back on the weekend, and install some recs and lights, but we shall see. Be nice to find some extra hands to help tilt those lift posts vertical!

👋 you have help if you need it.

• Thanks 1

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

St. Catharines. Not too far...

I've got a couple strong back down here, but more bodies couldn't hurt. I need to figure out a date, but it would be fun anyhow.

Pizza and cold adult beverages upon completion. Hah!

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

A4A3C559-D9C5-4997-8107-2EE7889C0A3E.thumb.jpeg.546ddf542be35fd2b89b3356938b428b.jpeg

Roof is up and on. Still need to go around the eave sides and tuck in some foam insect guards along the edge and put in the final row of screws, but that is simple enough, and can be done on a ladder.

Can’t wait to get some rain here to make sure it’s watertight. 🤪

Moving on slowly now, doing some prep tonight to start laying out where the lift will go, and beginning assembly.

• Like 2

Thanks @Max Capacity

I've spent a couple of hours just sitting in it, without even the radio on, just looking at it and sipping a beer. It makes me smile as well.

It probably make me look just a little more redneck than I really am too....., with all the brake rotors lying around and the generally poor condition of everything surrounding the garage, but there's only so much time in a day.

I'll get around to tidying up a little and making things nice at some point. Maybe.

I did buy a house in one of the more...... colourful? neighbourhoods in my town, so while everyone here works hard, and the whole place is gentrifying a little. I can get away with quite a lot. It helps that HOA's and the like are incredibly uncommon in Canada, not that my neighbourhood would be a candidate for one anyway.

It seems like as long as I keep on doing diagnosis and minor auto repair for the nieghbours on the cheap, they're willing to look the other way when I've got broken cars in the driveway for months, or turn half my front yard into raised beds for vegetables....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Started running some wiring last week and this weekend. Still not 100% sure where everything will go ultimately, but getting some of the basics in at least. Ran a very short run in a hurry just to get a 15A receptable wired up, which let me plug in the 70's vintage Sony transistor radio I found. (Thanks again @m sprank)

Surprisingly good sound for something so vintage. It's also permanently set to CBC radio, so it's not like it should ever get all that much of a workout but still.

Pulled something like 50ft of 10/3 wire through the studs from the panel, to nearly the opposite end of the garage (of course), where the power location for the lift willl be. Just need to gather a few people all at once and get those posts stood up. Still don't have nice things, like doors or siding, but you don't really neeed those do you?

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2

On 6/26/2023 at 9:33 AM, KZJonny said:

Started running some wiring last week and this weekend. Still not 100% sure where everything will go ultimately, but getting some of the basics in at least. Ran a very short run in a hurry just to get a 15A receptable wired up, which let me plug in the 70's vintage Sony transistor radio I found. (Thanks again @m sprank)

No problem?  Thanks for the beer!!!  That porter... mmm, mmm, good.  I don't know if it taste like Coconut (I am not a fan of coconut or maybe I am now),  but it sure tastes like coffee to me.   Almost exactly like a Sees candy Cafe Latte lollipop.  Liquid candy.  Oh, and where does the Kegerator go in your new garage?  Run the outlet for that yet?

Make sure you leave room for the tool box too.  I was lucky  that when I closed the shop my home garage fit my box.  Getting it home, that was another story.

20170801_224016.jpg

20190527_102354.jpg

20190527_102411.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2023 at 12:14 PM, m sprank said:

No problem?  Thanks for the beer!!!  That porter... mmm, mmm, good.  I don't know if it taste like Coconut (I am not a fan of coconut or maybe I am now),  but it sure tastes like coffee to me.   Almost exactly like a Sees candy Cafe Latte lollipop.  Liquid candy.  Oh, and where does the Kegerator go in your new garage?  Run the outlet for that yet?

Make sure you leave room for the tool box too.  I was lucky  that when I closed the shop my home garage fit my box.  Getting it home, that was another story.

20170801_224016.jpg

20190527_102354.jpg

20190527_102411.jpg

1.jpg

So. Much. Want.

;)

• 2 weeks later...

88325740-AE62-405A-94E1-E73FCF72F98C.thumb.jpeg.2651c7f46759ef3cc62b43dca5b28b26.jpeg687127E9-031F-42BD-995C-D28042A2A7C9.thumb.jpeg.ab3d58a20abc279af7f479de0f0fc630.jpegBFEC2A28-4FA9-4FA4-B737-D671E84A70FE.thumb.jpeg.eb50255871a8582aba3eac1bd29ca26a.jpeg

Making some progress today. Nothing crazy, but I’ve got 3x functional recs, power ready for the lift and all the wiring is run and ready to go for lighting.

As long as nothing comes up to ruin the plans, a couple friends will be coming by tomorrow so we can tip up the lift posts with human power.

Hoping we haven’t bitten off more than we can chew! 🫤

• Like 3

13 hours ago, m sprank said:

I did it myself.  Wimps. Lol.

Good, receptaclea. Now plug in the kegerator. Sit back and enjoy a few "Rollers" for a job well done. 

Are you serious? I mean, I’d believe you if your said yes…. But dude. Even when I was younger, I wouldn’t have tried to lift these things. I know it’s Just tipping them up, but they’ve gotta weigh 400++lbs each!! 😬

Kegerator is indeed plugged in and rocking a keg of Good Times. On my second now after a day of running up and down ladders and wiring. Might be a couple more this evening while I sit back and … witness the power of my fully operational Deathstar, er…. Garage.

Edited by KZJonny

Shoulda stopped and enjoyed the weekend earlier than I did, but I couldn’t help myself. Looking at all the wiring run and ready to go for lighting was too much.

Had to get back on that ladder and keep going just a little longer….

507C629B-EB67-42BF-867D-EF8BC954A1E7.thumb.jpeg.710ac830b788a35a98ec1d4cd9479caf.jpeg

That’s just 2 LED light panels on the front side of the roof, flush mounted to the scissor trusses. The plan, when money allows is to put a set on the rear of the garage as well for stereo lighting in both bays. Probably a couple hung low over the workbench area as well once that is fleshed out.

One thing at a time.

• Like 4

2 post I put up and broke down myself. 4 post I had 1 helper and we assembled/installed it together then we moved it (assembled) together and re-installed it at the new shop. Thankfully when I sold the 4 post the buyer sent a crew who broke it down and loaded it up.

I assembled (and broke down too) my dyno myself too. That was an interesting two days working the laws of leverage. Rep from Mustang who was sent out to assemble and train on use gave me an extra 2 days of use training as there was no more install. Told me he had never before had a customer install a 4 wheel dyno on their own. I am just a little bit stubborn. Sometimes it pays me back in physical pain. 

Looking good on your end.  Use the help, work smart not hard.

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 3

1EEDE7A8-7388-4FF6-BB00-51B3F602EFFF.thumb.jpeg.76369f4e89d54806d13108ec050b4ff1.jpeg09296F0A-2BAC-44E0-B97A-7601F3F040F5.thumb.jpeg.8011194eefb3aea8d19bdfcd4e46c980.jpeg

Did a thing with some help.

Still needs to be levelled and bolted down, and all the finish install work done.

But turns out with 2 guys lifting and someone on a safety rope, you can get one of these things in place.

Can’t wait to do the final measurements and adjustments, wire it up and try it out.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 5

Great progress. I thinking you'll want to be careful of raising the car up with the hood or trunk open.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

7 minutes ago, Max Capacity said:

Great progress. I thinking you'll want to be careful of raising the car up with the hood or trunk open.

Agreed. I hadn't noticed that particularly earlier, but the hood especially, yes. Presumably if i have the car raised that high up, I'll be working on things underneath it, engine bay work shouldn't require raising it quite that hight, but better to be safe than sorry.

I'll make up a sticker/label and put it near the switch for raising and lowering the car that says something like:

"Did you close the hood?"

I've got a few of those around work for various things as reminders for if I am busy before the coffee kicks in. I seldom have to rely on them, but they are good as an emergency contingent.