LegacyGT.com

2 Car Garage - Thoughts on layout...

My only concern is that the tree should have been removed before the concrete was put down since some roots can leave an empty space when they rot.

Maybe not a major issue, but still. And it's better than the alternative - something poking up through the concrete.

453747.png

26 minutes ago, ehsnils said:

My only concern is that the tree should have been removed before the concrete was put down since some roots can leave an empty space when they rot.

Maybe not a major issue, but still. And it's better than the alternative - something poking up through the concrete.

Valid concern, to be sure. The excavation for the pad was 12” deep everywhere, and close to 15” at the edges where the thickened footing was poured.

So, the main roots that would have been under the pad were dug up and removed. There will be some left down there, but getting them all would have meant digging a huge hole. I’ll have to hope I was thorough enough, but think it’ll be good.

Going to spend much of the weekend cleaning up the yard to make space for a lumber delivery early next week. If things go well, I should be able to do most, if not all of the framing next weekend.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress. Had amazing weather, which has been great, and some friends drop in to lend a hand, and have a beer.

Just getting over a case of covid from last week tho, so having to stop to prevent my head from spinning more often than I expected.

Going to dive into starting another wall today, and maybe get it up tomorrow with some help. We’ll see this one is a little more work. Has the 2 windows openings in it.

9EA0B877-99C4-4167-94D6-4C1CF7B1A129.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the well wishes.

On the plus side, I had a full course of vaccines, and an update booster before I caught it. This had two knock on benefits: the first being that the case was incredibly mild, one night of coughing, and a couple nights with a fever. Aside from that, and being pretty tired recovering from it, I've had far worse colds over the years. Second advantage to finally catching it so late in the pandemic is that there was a vaccine, and I had a full course of that. At least statistically, my chances of having long-covid problems are in a very low percentile.

That said, yeah. I'm going to do the minimums right now to get the walls up, squared, and ready for trusses, which arrive Monday now, I believe. I won't kill myself doing it, but it has been like 20C this past little while in November (!?) so, I'm trying to do as much as I can. The option is doing the same work more slowly, and ending up doing it in 5C weather, which can't possibly be better for my health....

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2

Glad to hear you're doing well, back in early June when I had covid, it was just like yours. Glad I'm fully vax'ed. Modern medicine is great.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nice thread.

We're also in the process of building a garage.  We'll hopefully have the permits by the end of the year and start building in spring.  Being in the city, we have the same sq/ft issue.  We can only have a 450sq/ft footprint so we'll be 22x20 but it will be a full two story building.  

Is there a reason you don't go with single 16' or 18' door instead of two 8' garage doors?  

Thanks, hoping it might help others going down the same road. I'd include pricing, but since that is a thing that doesn't maintain much significance, I figured I wouldn't bother for now. Anyone who wants to know can ask.

I briefly considered a single larger door, but decided against it for a number of reasons:

- 2 x as heavy as a single door, and I am not installing an electric opener to keep maximum ceiling clearance available, so 2 x as hard to lift open and close gently.

- Since there will pretty much always be a car in storage in the garage, I don't see a big advantage in the single, you're still backing into a 'single' bay one way or the other, and I'd rather back into the divider wall than my other project car by accident? (Easier and cheaper to fix than a car....)

- Winter is frikking cold, and summer is hot. Why open an 18' door, and let heat in/out twice as fast, when you can open an 8' door?

- Ease/cost of framing the front wall. Going to a single door meant I would have to use a  (Probably a double or triple ply) LVL/SVL beam as a lintel, (@19' or so) over the door opening to meet code, which is $$$$ and also quite hard to get into place solo. With an 8' or 9' single door, I can build a 2 ply lintel from 2x10x10, which is light enough to manage and fairly inexpensive. I could probably get away with 2x8x10 and just meet code, by my reading of it, but for it's only a couple extra dollars for the 2 x 10', so why not?

- Final consideration, which is really coming back to help me out right now is that in the event the budget got blown out (which it absolutely has), I can reasonably easily build myself 2 x sets of nice barn doors and hang them off the 2x6 double jack studs supporting the lintels. @ ~4' per door, they shouldn't sag in the middle at all, and I can even get fancy and insulate the back, and put some nice weather stripping all around them, so they will seal every bit as well as an overhead door ever would. This is actually happening, to be clear... They are a luxury I wanted but don't need for any good reason, and I don't have $3.5K for garage doors anymore. Not easy to build doors which are 9' long each! This also means if things look a little better economically over time, I can buy one door then another, if I want/need, splitting up the cost a little.

Sorry if that is a little wordy, but I really did give it some thought both ways.... I feel like the main reason people do a single door is more about appearances, and this is in my back yard, where only I will ever see it, and I don't really give a rat's ass what it looks like. If I could get half price siding, but only in hot pink, and chartreuse, I would do it in a heartbeat. :)

• Like 2

Best of luck on the buildout Holla.

I hope your experience with the city goes a little better than mine, tho I have to say nobody there was a real jerk, just trying to understand the way the gov't does/sees things is an interesting experience. I like to think of myself as a no-nonsense/common sense kind of person, and for whatever reason I had just expected the government to work in much the same way, for reasons that seemed pretty obvious to me as the time.... Not so! Hah.

Being able to get the second story will be sweet! I suppose I could have gone that way, but it is not permitted to build more than one story on a floating pad like I have... I would have had to have a fully excavated foundation, which would have doubled the cost and I somehow don't think would have been easy to engineer to support a 10k lb lift!?! Not to mention, I think I'd be breaking a pile more bylaws with a second story that started at 13' above grade. (I suspect the neighbours might have had a thing to say about that at the hearing!)

Third wall is up, tho not sheathed yet, and front wall is assembled and waiting for help to be raised. My neighbour the framer went ghost on me this weekend when he said he'd come by to help put the front wall up and the roof on, so.... that didn't happen. I've now got a case of Coke and a big bottle of rye to find a home for as well. Hah!

This happens when you're relying on other for help tho, and not paying professionals for everything. I'm hope to at least get the wall up, and the building squared this Friday/Saturday, which would mean I have the weekend to start getting trusses up onto the wall in preparation for installation. It's all rather a lot of work for one person with occassional help, but I am flat outta cash for the project, so it looks like it'll be some cold dark work in the evening from now on, and hoping that we don't see too much snow before I can get some ply and membrane on the roof!

I'll grab some photos as soon as I am home some day before it gets dark.

• Like 1

2F0A6549-384F-4C22-8579-3E7DB43BE204.thumb.jpeg.b42238c6f5273db790c9a9240d6f6f46.jpeg

Front wall framed and almost ready to go up.

CAC7B548-3595-438E-838F-5BC541F9DAEC.thumb.jpeg.577172d42baff64f8c68670a88006312.jpeg

The big picture. I’m hoping it’s not quite as much work left as it looks like, hah!

Definitely be some cold workdays, but I’m in one of the ‘warmer’ parts of Canada, so hopefully it mainly stays above 0C for another couple few weeks.

• Like 3

On 11/16/2022 at 11:24 PM, KZJonny said:

2F0A6549-384F-4C22-8579-3E7DB43BE204.thumb.jpeg.b42238c6f5273db790c9a9240d6f6f46.jpeg

Front wall framed and almost ready to go up.

CAC7B548-3595-438E-838F-5BC541F9DAEC.thumb.jpeg.577172d42baff64f8c68670a88006312.jpeg

The big picture. I’m hoping it’s not quite as much work left as it looks like, hah!

Definitely be some cold workdays, but I’m in one of the ‘warmer’ parts of Canada, so hopefully it mainly stays above 0C for another couple few weeks.

As soon as you get a roof on it and some doors then it will be easier to do a lot of the inside work.

453747.png

23 hours ago, ehsnils said:

As soon as you get a roof on it and some doors then it will be easier to do a lot of the inside work.

For sure. Of course, the first weekend after posting that photo, we got a 30cm of snow Saturday morning, just in time to ruin the entire weekend's worth of work. It's since melted, but now I'm away with the gf to a cottage for the weekend. This is supposed to be an enjoyable getaway, but part of me (most of me) is going to want to be at home working on this, not sitting by a fire trying to act like I'm relaxed.... ha!

Hoping the folllowing weekend there is still no snow... If not, then I have some scaffolding I can borrow and some help lined up to get the trusses up. That'll be a big day.

Having a roof up will be great, but there really isn't much to bo done inside. No money for electrical this year, and I didn't plan on insulating it any time soon. I will at least be able to cut all the sheating and roofing materials withoug being snowed on!

Shortly after that the the GT will get parked in it until Spring. Fingers crossed it all comes together. You don't get too much done when it's dark at 1700 and you're working alone!

• Like 1

4ADD4198-C81A-4E68-BDBA-010B4EC3C359.thumb.jpeg.02d494ee3d432b3c473105576231285b.jpeg

Garage work and tools. Bought a light cannon so I can keep working away on weekdays when I get home and it’s already dark.

Don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner, and wasted a bunch of evenings. Will also be useful in the garage once the roof is up, since it won’t have power this winter….

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

EA7CE5BC-6C7D-4C6F-8543-6038C756DEE9.thumb.jpeg.7a22e24db4329ac905a455caa463e926.jpeg

Started getting the trusses up a little while ago with a couple of friends and some borrowed scaffolding. Probably took almost 2 hours to get 3 in place.

141D7128-73A6-42AF-A33B-1D1B3E12095B.thumb.jpeg.414b8a0b845e1f7e4b50d8b2449a683c.jpeg

Next free day, we got the rest up (11 more) in maybe an hour and change. Amazing how much faster everything goes when you get a system in place that works. Hah.

56A9846A-A96F-4DD4-8BAA-D76714252DB6.thumb.jpeg.c8940c38c95ba6b8c565674860f74223.jpeg67AD13DD-2EE3-487F-9478-900424092DBF.thumb.jpeg.3f3d562e6fbba9463bf9c240c95969bc.jpeg

Now I’m slowly squaring and securing the trusses as well as squaring the walls a little. Getting done between days when it’s pouring rain or snowing or all this gear is covered in ice…

So as bad as it is building in these conditions, it’s exactly why I need a garage!

C5D57431-526F-4BF8-BE9D-1BF4F8457055.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Had some ‘nice’ weather…. As in 0-2 C, but it wasn’t raining for a change.

Finished the roof sheathing and got almost all of it covered in a waterproof breathable membrane ($500 CAD/roll!!!). So, while it won’t be perfect, it shouldn’t rain inside the garage when it rains outside now…. 🙄

Couple little jobs to do, and finish the eaves and fascia on the left hand side, and I can park the GT in there for her winter slumber….

Metal sheeting for the roof exterior is on order and should arrive in a week and a bit. We’ll see what the weather brings after that….

D0C66243-ACD9-4404-8248-6394B590F9AA.thumb.jpeg.b0c45cd8666a29b855725e42af537b11.jpegF63C6ADE-1561-4248-AD81-D5F9D8ED1859.thumb.jpeg.1d3196530505596e0362ff3b078a2e0b.jpegD0C66243-ACD9-4404-8248-6394B590F9AA.thumb.jpeg.b0c45cd8666a29b855725e42af537b11.jpeg528C5C37-BE78-423D-9502-569E4B01A64B.thumb.jpeg.e94d6f5e80285a945fee479eb9850250.jpeg

Did I mention that I’m terrified of heights? This is not a job I’d do for money. Just for want of a space and love of old cars.

D11BDDD7-9721-4A2F-9DF7-93A230298951.jpeg

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 4

Oh man, yeah. I took a scroll back and it's hard to believe it was only the middle of November that I didn't even have all the walls up.

I have 100% had some help along the way, but this has mainly been a solo project since the pad was poured, and I've already learned a lot, picked up a few fun tools, and figured out how to stay warm and get some building done in the dark in Canadian winter. Hah!

At this point, I think I am aiming to either get metal roofing on (or not), close in the rest of the building with sheathing, and do my best to get Typar building wrap up on the walls, then take a little break on it until late Feb/ early March when the worst of the winter cold and snow are past. Of course, if all other things are equal,and I have the available space inside, I'll have the GT parked inside until the summer as well.

Now to reach out Bendpak and see about scheduling a delivery for the lift....

Edited by KZJonny

• 4 weeks later...

Double post, sort of. Already mentioned in ‘what did you do 4th gen..’

But I wanted to keep this thread fairly complete and it’s also helping me have an easily referenced timeline of my building this thing.

Roofing metal and wood for purlins should arrive before too long, so I’ve hoping for a warm weekend, or the like. Need to trim the plywood on the edges, install fascia and ladder rungs under the gable overhangs before I can start putting up the rood sheathing.

Little more work to go, but that’ll be a big hurdle. That +TyVek on the outside, and it will at least be pretty weatherproof.

52D84416-2D85-44D5-91A4-F4C5826A4CFC.thumb.jpeg.5ebca50ee4db16dcf112941d793057b5.jpeg85A28D54-7FC2-43A1-9718-91E7ABFAEAD3.thumb.jpeg.b21c024dc9427805374e92b34784a3be.jpeg

• Like 2

Must feel good to get the car inside.

Thanks for updating this thread, even though not many others read it...but I have checked recently looking for updates.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here