LegacyGT.com

2 Car Garage - Thoughts on layout...

It felt so good.

Like good in a way that backing a car up really shouldn't feel.

I opened a beer and just stood staring at the wagon for an easy 20 minutes.
Not that I don't sometimes just do that anyway, they are really good looking cars, but still.

I appreciate that you're following and some others have been supportive as well. I knew this would be a lot of work, but didn't expect it to take quite so long.

It does feel damn good doing something like this almost single handed tho.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Metal roofing arrived!
The colour isn't quite as light as it looks in the photo, but at the same time isn't as dark as I thought "charcoal" would be based on the 4" square sample there was at the store.

It's not going back now, so this is colour, hah!

Been far too windy since it arrive to get much of any work done on the roof, despite it being +6 C this past weekend, and +14 C just this week. Nuts for this part of the country even... Can't complain tho, I finished all the sheathing on the building, so now it is just some finishing work, to nice a couple things up, and I can throw on the Tyvek.

Excited to hustle on the roof, but there is quite a lot of prep work for that, and much of it is at 15ft+ on a ladder, so it will go slowly as I work very carefully to do it right and safely.

0?ui=2&ik=122617e9e6&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1758006615930510993&th=1865b1b3ef531e91&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9-6JBaLV3w_fGwaqj8d7QM37dG1POZIq3Lv1ETXMFW2fOXPfxDGuX3ZtqiiQETXGLKKGvuRthYepQJER_5qk484KmNXiCuNIN03Kzx5aXqPYaMSw8ex1rs6yM&disp=emb

Edited by KZJonny

Yeah, the samples don't always match what shows up. The shingles are the same issue.

The new roof on the house done in Oct were the same color as the garage got the year before. They are not the same. But I'm picky. The same contractor did the work. 

Yet the siding on the garage matched the house, some 30 years older, pretty well. 

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 3 weeks later...

Damn March refuses to get warm! Biding my time on a whole lot more building work until it's safer to be out on a ladder or a roof.

BUT, the building (roof) itself holds water out, so I've at least been able to work on a job when it was drizzling and stay dry. Might not sounds like much, but I've only ever done maybe 2 jobs on cars/motorcyles under a roof in the 20 odd years I've been working on things with engines. So, as small of a victory as it is to have done a couple small jobs, it feels had earned.

Had a consult with my contractor friend about how to build and install the ladder outriggers to support the 12" of eaves on the gable sides of the building. I'd been scratching my head over it for a while. Came up with a workable solution that got the okay from him and should be fine to pass framing inspection. Despite his 30 years in contracting, and my 10 years part time work doing framing, neither of us has actually built a structure quite like this. So it's interesting to have a beer and chat over this kind of thing to come up with what we think is the best solution. It would be really interesting to have a chat with a full time structural framer when it's all done about what I did right, and what I did that hard/stupid way!

I understand about being able to work inside. Yesterday, I backed the Outback out of the garage, moved the Spec B out from behind the 86' F150, so I could put it in the garage and tighten the Alternator belt. It's been in the low 50's F on nicer days.

Though I did install the new battery in the Ford outside and then fixed a gas line leak above the tank, which is under the truck bed, before I could move the truck inside. 

Warmer weather is a few weeks away...;)

• Like 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

60s here already.  Drop your cars off with me and I will take care of them for you year round.  You can come visit in the summer.  We can hit Summit Point together, with your cars.  LOL.  Hope all is well Byron!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got the rest of the roof wrapped in Deck Armor this weekend, so it rains less on the inside when it rains outside. Still gets a litte messy here and there tho, so Ima hust to get some Tyvek wrap up when we get a day that isn't windy. Typical Spring weather here, so it's one day in 2 weeks where it's been safe to get up on the roof and work. Not to mention how difficult it is to lay down 28' x 4' strips of roofing membrane with even the tiniest amound of a breeze. Much less typical Spring winds.

*might* be able to get the ladders installed this weekend, which would mean the metal roofin can start just as soon as I find someone willing to help. Hah! We will see, but I think I should reasonably have an actual permanent roof on by June, for sure... Just on time for it to not rain a whole lot for a month or two. Hah!

FINALLY! Confirmed delivery date for the lift.

Next Monday, which is right after a period of days which are supposed to be dry and windy, so with a little luck, and a lot of plywood, hopefully they can drive a forklift right across the "lawn" and drop the packed lift right in the bay.

Of course, I am a couple thousand dollars away from being able to run power out to the garage in any case because copper costs that much.... but at least it will be there, and I can stand it up and install it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it was worth the cost and the wait. I'm no mechanic, but I do mess around a lot on cars, help out friends when things break, and have met some people along the way that I would lend the space to if they really needed a lift for a job.

(No dude, you can't use my lift to do your oil change....)

Out of purely morbid curiosity I took a look at the cost of these things post-pandemic, and they are almost 100% more expensive than when I paid for this. So.... some times planning ahead and making regrettable impulse purchases while on the phone with a salesperson can work out for you. I can say with certainty that if I'd waited until the garage was up to pay for this, I wouldn't have it.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GearJamr said:

So jealous.....at least with the nice weather arriving you can get your roof done.  :)

Yessir! No more raIn on the inside...Lol!

I understand the jealousy, for sure... But fwiw I haven't done things like go out for dinner or casual pints in years now.. I can't remember the last time I bought myself any new clothes, (4-5 years, aside from new steel toes for work...) and I grow a HUGE amount of food in my garden each summer, partly because I love to, and it also saves pennies to put towards this stuff... I know we all do things like this for our passions, so I'm not the exception. I just never mentioned it in the thread, in case somebody thought I'm some sort of silver spoon kid... I am assuredly not. You should see the state of the inside of my house. (It's clean!!! but all the 50 year old crap that it came with has not been replaces, and it likley won't soon.... you make choices.)

All that said, mi casa su casa dude. I know Ottawa isn't exaclty around the corner, but if you ever lined up a job like a 6mt swap or whatever, you just drag all that stuff down here on a weekend, and we can get it done in an afternoon rather than a week worth of being on your back with the car on jack stands!

• Like 1

Jealous of your 6MT!

Offer stands dude. Give me enough time to install and run power. Lift is yours for as much time as it takes to do that swap.

Even working in the driving hours, I bet it would be faster with a lift.

Got the air barrier up. That was a job in 28C, and no clouds in sight. Happy for the warm weather, so it’s a little crap to complain, but I’m not used to the heat yet.

Spent a couple days grading out the last of the pile of dirt from the pad excavation. Seeded everything with white clover and topped with some straw to keep the birds out a little.

Someone find me a cold beer… 😜

F70E89F5-DE15-48CB-A74A-5BC2EEF9D40F.thumb.jpeg.edd833cac5922256941744a2b8ea2316.jpeg

• Like 2

New panel for the house next week, and the old one becomes the garage panel.

Dug enough of a trench to get conduit to the house, glued up the sections and filled it back in. Nothing like digging a massive hole then just filling it back up right away. Lol!

Income tax money will not be spent on speed parts this year, but on copper. Enough 6g to get from the house to the garage is gonna cost. Thankfully my neighbour is an electrician, and we do favours for one another, so I’ll help him with carpentry, and he’ll pull wiring through to the garage and get the panel wired into the house.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Welll.... Federal workers are on strike up here. I don't know if they are responsible for issueing permits for electrical work, but it sure has been a long wait to get that permit now.

Hoping that once it arrives, everything can start happening in a hurry, but I'm not fussed. At least the days are long now, so I can get quite a bit done before sundown and I can't do more work with natural light.

Got about an inch of hail yesterday?! Be a few days before I can get back to working on the roof, but it's staying dry at least, and that work can wait.

I think electrical permits are issued by municipalities, but the ESA is provincial.  I might be incorrect.  I can't fathom how the federal government would give two craps about your garage, but stranger things......

56 minutes ago, GearJamr said:

but the ESA is provincial

That. Awesome thanks. I thought it might have federal oversight, and something I need done has to go through ESA. I've only ever been the guy swinging hammers in the past. Never had to do any project management, so this is all new to me. Lots of learning (and paying for permits!!? 😠) along the way.

I've done a few ESA permits before, basically you submit a form via email prior to starting the work. I've never done a panel or new electrical service, though, but the electrical inspector in my area has relatively nice to me. The main issue is the cost of the permit...

Ah yeah? Do you recall how much?

As I said, I am 98% sure that since I am the homeowner, I am entitled to do this kind of work without a permit. (Not changing a mains breaker panel, as stated.) But it get's a little foggy on getting the final inspection on garage. If they ask for a ESA inspection result, I'm *supposed* to be able to tell them I don't need one and I did the work myself, but not every inspector is going to like that responce. It may be a thing where I just deal with the consequences down the road.

As long as I can get basic insurance on it, I sort of don't care about even closing the permit. I don't think there is a fire risk from say, my doing electrical work, but mischeif, theft, dumbass neighbour burning leaves and lighting it up, tree falling on it etc.....