LegacyGT.com

My ‘05 OBXT journal

Correct, but not sure if you saw I posted before that iwire makes an engine harness merge kit to connect to both exhaust cam sensors, provided one is using of course the jdm ECU.

Yes, simple is what I’m trying to go for, but no matter how you look at it, this swap entails research/work.

I’m already on this boat, after all this much research and work I’m not going back.. we’ll find a way to make it work. 👍🏻

• Like 1

“Use non AVCS cams, cap the exhaust ports.. use non AVCS cams, cap the exhaust ports” ..of course!!

I kept playing this in my head last night..

Now I understand what Flatirons tuning & iwire were talking about guys!!

They meant cap the exhaust ports of the camshafts themselves! I thought they were referring to the exhaust sensors, but now I get it..

That’s essentially what that guy PyroBP5 who posted the write up on Reddit did!

But if you cap those ports on the ex camshafts, how do they get oil.. I mean I’m sure it works and this is what has to be done, PyroBp5 sounded like he really knew his stuff.. and this is exactly what’s talked about on the Flatirons video.. I will look more into this.

The best part of this method: you get to keep the USDM ECU and there’s no need to modify the USDM engine harness..

Just need a few jdm seals/gaskets which can be sorted out..

I also think I can use my ej255 exhaust camshafts with their corresponding sprockets since they are non AVCS, I just pray 🙏🏻 they’re still in good shape!

Otherwise I’d have to go the route of tapping and capping the ej20x exhaust camshaft ports..

Light at the end of the tunnel!

Edited by RumblyXT

Some progress.. 

I tried removing spark plug #4 to get a brief condition of the motor, but I couldn't.. the plug did moved, but didn't come lose. I left it soaking  with W40, will try again tomorrow going back and forward to get it lose. This motor seems to have been seating for a while..

B3CDAC80-1924-4CDB-AE30-52E5FDB360A9.jpeg

952B7226-7B2E-4105-82DA-CF9577A6FDEC.jpeg

174FFD6F-6A48-4047-8134-BE772FC3A619.jpeg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

Good morning everyone! 😃

Looking to stay away from the jdm ej20x future ECU tuning/immobilizer issues, dual AVCS and having to get extra wiring for the exhaust cam sensors, I have decided to go with the following setup which would be very similar to an ej255:

ej20x long block, usdm ECU, ej255 non AVCS exhaust cams/gears, usdm I/M with harness and stock injectors, turbo and possibly stock everything else.

Since all ej camshafts have basically the same fitment (per Flatirons Tunning), this would be imo the best option(please correct me if I’m wrong). Using my ej255 exhaust cams/gears, would be the same as having to tap & cap the ej20x exhaust cams oil ports. 
My only question about this is Oil Flow to the exhaust non AVCS ej255 cams, since I’d have to keep the ej20x exhaust solenoids in place.

So, the main questions is:

Would the ej255 non AVCS cams be starved of oil with this setup I mentioned above?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by RumblyXT

I did some more work on the motor today, removing all the upper parts of the long block, father in law helped me.. soon will be ready for testing..

I checked all the banjo bolts except for the one right behind the left intake gear, (it's a pain to get to it unless you remove the Timing Belt/cam gear). I was surprised to find only 1 filter screen on one of the turbo banjos, none of other bolts on the motor had a filter screen.

ej20x long block.jpg

ej20x parts inventory.jpg

prepping for testing.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT
  • Like 1

Yeah, I will need to remove the left intake cam gear to get to that one. I'm not taking any more chances on oil starvation anywhere, I rather change the oil every 3K miles too.

Getting there.. what did you think of the setup I have in mind on before the pics.. someone else mentioned not to go that route since then I'd have to deal with the buckets and valve lashing.

Edited by RumblyXT

On 2/22/2023 at 11:14 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

Which set up again?

This one:

ej20x long block (block and heads), everything above it will stay ej255 (I/M, turbo, engine harness, injectors, etc.), also the crossover pipe and some hoses.

Below the block: ej255 exhaust manifold, still debating on swapping over the 255 oil cooler and water pump, since my T/B was serviced on my car less than 15K miles ago.

Inside the block: swap over the 255 exhaust non AVCS gears to the 20x exhaust cams, plugging the 20x cams oil ports. I was debating on swapping both the 255 ex cams & the gears, but I was advised not to due to the buckets clearance and having to later on deal with valve lashing.

Exhaust sensors will stay unplugged, and timing on exhaust cams will be set counter clockwise 1 tooth.

Some more progress, passed by the local dealer to pick up some bell housing bolts and was finally able to put the engine on the stand. Currently soaking spark plugs with some penetrant.. cylinder leak down test is next.

I won't be able to do the compression test until I remove my motor from the car since I don't have the flywheel.

BTW.. is the flywheel integrated with the torque converter on these cars? That's what it looks like on Subaru parts online diagram..

ej20x on stand.jpg

no flywheel.jpg

torque converter.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT

On 2/21/2023 at 6:55 AM, RumblyXT said:

“Use non AVCS cams, cap the exhaust ports.. use non AVCS cams, cap the exhaust ports” ..of course!!

I kept playing this in my head last night..

Now I understand what Flatirons tuning & iwire were talking about guys!!

They meant cap the exhaust ports of the camshafts themselves! I thought they were referring to the exhaust sensors, but now I get it..

That’s essentially what that guy PyroBP5 who posted the write up on Reddit did!

But if you cap those ports on the ex camshafts, how do they get oil.. I mean I’m sure it works and this is what has to be done, PyroBp5 sounded like he really knew his stuff.. and this is exactly what’s talked about on the Flatirons video.. I will look more into this.

The best part of this method: you get to keep the USDM ECU and there’s no need to modify the USDM engine harness..

Just need a few jdm seals/gaskets which can be sorted out..

I also think I can use my ej255 exhaust camshafts with their corresponding sprockets since they are non AVCS, I just pray 🙏🏻 they’re still in good shape!

Otherwise I’d have to go the route of tapping and capping the ej20x exhaust camshaft ports..

Light at the end of the tunnel!

I think your mixing some things up! With an avcs cam, oil goes through the front of that camshaft to hit the avcs cam gear. When that guy said plug the camshaft he is talking about the holes on the front of shaft where the cam gear alignment pin is. So to turn an avcs cam into a non avcs cam you need to plug those holes otherwise you got oil pushing out the front of the camshaft. If you swap to a non avcs cam ie your cam from your original motor, you don't need to plug anything because it doesnt have anything to plug! So if your swapping cams no plug! The link you sent to that reddit or whatever file that did it was someone who was working with avcs cam. 

Correct Tehnation.

But yes, I actually understood it.

AVCS cams have 4 port in the front and 1 pin facing the contact point to the AVCS gear.

Our usdm ej255 cams only have the 1 pin to lock it onto the non AVCS/black sprocket.

Ideally, I’d just switch the ej255 exhaust cams & non AVCS/fixed sprockets for the 20x exhaust cams/AVCS gears, but then I’d have to deal with buckets clearance and valve lashing, hence I’d rather tap and cap the 20x cams 4 ports, and then attach the 255 exhaust non AVCS sprockets.

However, once plugged, is there any concern for the exhaust cams failing due to oil starvation?

I’d imagine the lubrication of the cams riding surface has nothing to do with the ports being plugged right? 

Edited by RumblyXT

1 hour ago, RumblyXT said:

However, once plugged, is there any concern for the exhaust cams failing due to oil starvation?

I’d imagine the lubrication of the cams riding surface has nothing to do with the ports being plugged right? 

Correct on the second half. 

Each cam journal has an oiling port fed by the internal supply where it rides in the head. You'll see them when/if you take the cams out to do the tap and plug. If not, I'd be happy to send a pic of the heads I've got torn apart right now, just to see, if you're interested.

The oil pressure in the AVCS cam end port is just to operate the cam phasing, it's not lubrication oil for the cam. A failing OCV, while it may cause other problems in your engine (separate issue) will not starve the cam of lubrication causing destruction. P0021/2, which are OCV related will probably result in damage if ignored, but that's not a concern for you now.

It would be akin to the non-avcs exhaust cams in our 255/7s. It is perfectly fine without any oil passing into the end of the cam.

• Thanks 1

Glad to know this.

Yes, I will be swapping the 255 non AVCS/fixed gears.. In fact, I’m learning now about the buckets clearances and it doesn’t seem all that complicated.

I may actually end up swapping the whole e255 cam/fixed gear together as to avoid tapping & capping the 4 holes on the 20x cams.

This will depend of course on how the 255 cams look, provided they don’t have any scratches or scorings..

Plus, I was raised learning the metric system and I understand it well. It’s a lot more intuitive than the standard one.

Thanks KZJonny.

Edited by RumblyXT

Repping Canada here, Metric system for the win.

Maybe it's a cold weather thing, but I've always found multiplying or dividing by 10 to be a whole lot easier than 8 or 32 or whatever.

Could be I'm just not too bright as well....

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Repping Canada here, Metric system for the win.

Maybe it's a cold weather thing, but I've always found multiplying or dividing by 10 to be a whole lot easier than 8 or 32 or whatever.

Could be I'm just not too bright as well....

Exactly.. all based in the power of 10s..

Caribbean here, Cuba! 🇨🇺 

Any ideas where to get a jdm FSM from?

I’ve been searching but haven’t found anything.. 

Wondering if the measurements would be the same/similar on both these motors in regards to buckets/valve clearances..

Are Canadian models the same as jdm?

Edited by RumblyXT

29 minutes ago, RumblyXT said:

Are Canadian models the same as jdm?

I wish….. nope. We have the same things you  have available, but more years with manual transmissions than the US.

Valve clearances should be pretty much the same. They didn’t re-invent the castings and valvetrain entirely…. Setting it up to Ej255/7 standards should net good results.

Others who’ve actually done this may chime in, for sure. But interestingly, for a fairly different OHC bucket over shim style engine, my ‘78 Kawasaki uses very similar cam spacing…. All aluminum construction with steel valves etc…

Checked on Nasioc and if you can believe the interweb, they suggest valve lash should be 0.08" intake and 0.10" exhaust.

Still a good bet to find the JDM FSM.... there may be enough difference in valve/cam/bucket configuration on the 20X engines that the setup is different?

I think Ryan Geter (Subaru Outback forum guy that decoded the jdm ECU) mentioned he had a copy of a jdm FSM.. not sure if he still posts there, I’ll ask him.

Once I get the values, I’ll post them here, so others can use it for guidance.

Btw.. Is there any possibility of the cam seals being blown out/expelled after tapping & capping the camshafts?

Edited by RumblyXT

I got a few things done this morning.

T/B cover had 2 stuck bolts, they were rotating and just wouldn’t come off, so I had to cut one with the grinder. I managed to remove the other cover without breaking it.

I asked for an automatic and they sold me a motor that was in a manual car. The T/B guide it had, left quite a print on the belt.. and I noticed some rubber debris throughout the pulleys..

I’m glad I kept all my Company23 tools from my previous job, nothing like working with the right tools to avoid damaging something.

50E75A2F-4D47-4439-8198-E57594E1AEB0.jpeg

51E5BD27-A8CB-4BD5-9D54-237435585116.jpeg

D58B3ACA-94FE-43F3-8214-4FBBFC793D05.jpeg

BBC86CB9-A026-4AEE-859B-A8AE17FA0664.jpeg

Man. So clean!!

I pulled the heads off the parts donor engine I've had lying around for a while this weekend. so much oil and dirt everywhere... Yuck.

Jealous of that nice looking engine, and also the warmth of Florida right now. I generally do love cold weather, but it's annoying when you want to spend a day wrenching on something...