LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS pads now available for 2005 + Legacy GT

jim1969

Has anyone done a comparison on these yet with the Carbotech pads? Does anyone have any opinions on which pad offers better performance?

I currently have Carbotechs, but wondering whether the Hawks would perform better.

Carbotech is supposed to perform better, but resulting in a higher chance of noise.

Hawk is certainly cheaper though... if you dont plan on autocrossing, Hawk may be a better option. If you autocross, the Bobcats will feel much better.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove on both, the carbotech bobcats are definitely better than the HPS.. but the HP+ needs some warming up as it doesnt bite at the first 2 runs of an autox.. HP+ isnt available yet I dont think from Hawk for the GT.. but stay tuned for that if you need some other bargain autox pad that maybe able to do a light track day.. but again, I think Carbotech would be the better choice as they offer a lot more variety of pads for the GT already.. so far I have used:

Bobcats

Panther Plus

XP8

XP9

XP10

XP11

XP12

Keefe

That's exactly what I thought but just wanted to confirm. With the Bobcat pads, Racing Brake rotors, ATE Super Blue fluid and the Goodridge lines the car stops on a dime. I'm very happy with my braking performance now.............. :)

The Bobcats stop fine, but I've not been happy at all since I bought them. They are too noisy for my tastes on the LGT. Not loud noisy, but constant noisy. For a daily driver, I'd steer clear of the Bobcats if that may be an issue for you.

I'd gladly give up a little performance to the Bobcats with the Hawks if that is the trade off. Then again, in my case the LGT is the wife's daily executive hauler.

I have SnoDork's old Bobcats and he now has HPS pads in his Brembos. He commented that the Bobcats are quite a bit more aggressive in initial bite than the HPS. The Bobcats feel like a performance pad, while the HPS feel more like a stock pad performance wise. However, the Bobcats are indeed noisy at times. I notice some light squeeling when under light braking. Add a bit more pedal pressure and the noise goes away. Not too big a deal for me, but they are definately not as civil as stock pads. The HPS are completely silent according to SnoDork.

I've had my Bobcats on for the past 3 months now and have absolutely no noise whatsoever. I use them hard quite frequently, even using them to slow the car down instead of using the transmission (cheaper to replace brake pads than a clutch) and still, no noise. The only thing different I did was use the stock backing pads with some anti-squeal spray formula that I picked up at Autozone. I figured the noise would increase with the RB slotted rotors, but there was no added noise.

of all my years driving on Bobcats (which started back 4 years ago or so), I only had minor noise on the cold days just backing the car out of the driveway.. all the other times the brakes are quiet.

It's possible that when you install your brake pads, the retainer clips is what is scratching on the rotor surface upon braking.. there's only a few millimeters of clearance for those.. heck, people with "noisy" stock brake pads have this issue and they got those retainer clips replaced and it cured the problem.

Again, check the retainer clips, because when you apply the brakes, that retainer clip can shift along with the brake pad:

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/4672/img00130aw6.jpg

not much room for the retainer clip to be just off-center and when you apply the brakes, you are also sliding that retainer clip/spring and grinding it against the rotor surface

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Keefe/IMG_0025.sized.jpg

there's probably just enough room on each side for just 1 to 2mm worth of spacing based on a new rotor:

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Keefe/IMG_0029.sized.jpg

Keefe

I'll check that, however, I have noise at city cruising speed without applying brake pressure also. I'll see how it looks in those areas.

it's very possible that you can still get noise if the retaining clips dont return back to it's normal position (but again, it's not suppose to move anyways, but hey, anything can happen).

Keefe

Thanks for the info!!

What do the HP+ go for? I've got about 7.5K and two track days on the Panther+, and they will be good for a bit yet. May just have to try the HP+ the next time around for comparison purposes.

Ron

Thanks for the info!!

What do the HP+ go for? I've got about 7.5K and two track days on the Panther+, and they will be good for a bit yet. May just have to try the HP+ the next time around for comparison purposes.

About $125 for HP+

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

I'm interested in the HPS pads for my GT Wagon, but am still confused about the part numbers. I know that Hawk was providing wrong #s on their site earlier. As of today, different part #s are shown for the "GT wagon" and "GT":

Hawk Performance: Part Search Results

HPS Front (05 GT wagon): HB432F.661

HPS Front (05 GT): HB533F.668

Does anybody know if the wagon has different (front) brakes than the sedan? Or does Hawk just still have things listed wrong? I'm assuming the latter to be true, but want to make sure before ordering em up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived