LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS pads now available for 2005 + Legacy GT

jim1969

EBC's are from my experience not a very good pad. I had greenstuffs on my trans-am and they dusted average but were very noisy, and wore the rotors badly.

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
EBC isn't the answer that's for sure. Cheaper - yeah I bet they are and for good reason. I'll have to be a little sarcastic here and say "I thought you drove a $30k Subaru - not a '94 Civic w/ a shopping cart handle and a fart can."

Put it this way. One of these companies is on cars at ROAD RACE courses I go to all the time. The other is on cars I see at the parking lot of the HIN show.

You decide

Actually they are not the cheapest by a long way, and I had them on my MX-5 with no problems at all.

Therefore there is no need for your poor attempt at sarcasm 1. because it doesn't suit you, and 2. because you're not very good at it.

Ok then without being sarcastic, Hawk is a superior product to EBC and worth the price premium IMO. This advantage becomes more and more apparant the harder you use your brakes. One look at the quality of machining and casting of one of their rotors is all I needed.

Thanks, the Hawks are actually cheaper than the Green's, so I would be saving money getting Hawk's instead. I was only looking at the pad's not replacing the rotors.

It must be something about the material of the rotors then, because I have used the Greens before and had nothing but praise for them, as have many others.

Am I really not good at being sarcastic?? I feel like I'm looking around the room for 'that guy' and I don't see him. We all know what that means.

:embarrassed:

I'll add that one of the reasons I like Hawk is because it's made in the USA and they support racing a lot. That means something to me.

The Carbotech bobcats are a good street pad, low dust, low noise, but I personally like Hawk HPS for street applications. As stated previously, the fronts are coming from Hawk, but are not out yet. The HPS are Ferro-Carbon rather than Ceramic like the Bobcats or Hawk Ceramics, so they are less noisy and wear less. I personally haven't upgraded the POS brakes on my lgt, but the stockers are sqweeling at 23k so it is time for me to get new ones soon, most likely I'll be going with Carbotech bobcats myself.

IMO, I really dont think people who daily drive will enjoy the noise and dust of any pad other than those designed for street applications. The race pads work better, but noise and wear are the cons to those pads.

-Rob

The bobcats I have on my car dust like crazy and squeal a lot.

I can get green stuffs for you guys at a good price if you want them. I just don't necessarily offer them up as an option because of my own opinion.

-Rob

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

EBC's have a high tendency to deposit friction material on the rotors giving them a warped feel (check around the internet for some reviews) thats why i steered away from them for my tiburon i went with the HPS pads and was very pleased

I had noisy deposit prone ebcs on my A4. mintex were better. I have hps on my car now and they are good. no squeal, very little dust. common consensus over at nasioc tho, which may mean nothing, seems to be that the carbotechs are better....
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

• 2 months later...
I have the Hawk HPS pads on my Elantra. They feel essentially like stock at low-temps but bite like mad when they heat up. They squeal a little with light pedal pressure, and that might be fixable with the CRC Disc Quiet stuff. I wouldn't exactly call them a low-dusting brake pad though... at least there was less dusting with the OEM pads. Overall I'm liking them but I don't know much about how they compare to offerings from Endless, Carbotech, etc.

I have been waiting for Hawk pads too.

Contacted them last month and what they told me jives with what Jim1969 has heard.

This is a quote from Jerry. "It looks like we will be shipping these pads in May 2006. I do not have a part number to give you yet as they are still being drawn up in Engineering and no number has been assigned at this time. Please check back in April and I will have a more definitive answer."

I hope my stock pads can make it until then...

yes I have. They remind me of Hawk HP+ pads. they squeal unless you are putting significant pressure on them. the GF thinks my brakes are broken lol

Steve, check the metal retainers... they have "fingers" on them and if they arent lined up right they will make tons of noise!

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Archived