LegacyGT.com

Hawk HPS pads now available for 2005 + Legacy GT

jim1969

Just got off the phone with Tom at Hawk Performance. The HPS pads are now available for the 2005+ Legacy GT. Part numbers are:

HB432F.661 (Front) suggested retail $95

HB434F.543 (Rear) suggested retail $85

Both are in-stock at Hawk.

I've never used them. I've heard they are a good low dust and noise street pad that is an improvement over stock. Anyone's past experiences with these pads would be great to hear.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are they available for the Outback XT? I think Outback brakes are smaller (at least the rotors are.

I've used Hawk HPS pads on a Honda and they helped improve brake feel tremendously. Notable firmer and more linear feeling. I didn't do measured stopping distance checks, but it sure felt better.

First stop of the day is weak--I guess they need to be warmed, but no issues at all after getting out of the driveway and slowing down at the end of the alleyway. Seems to be fine all day after that.

I haven't measured dusting. They do show dust if you (ahem) don't wash your wheels for a long time. :) But not objectionable--can go a month without BMW-looking coal-dusted wheels.

No noise.

I'd buy again without hesitation.

Those are the same numbers for the 02-04 Legacy front pads according to hawk's info. hmmmm.

Anyway, I can do $80 fronts (6 in stock), and $74 rears (4 in stock)

2012 Forester XT. Stage 2+

Retired from Racing. I used to build FMIC and more.

Those are the same numbers for the 02-04 Legacy front pads according to hawk's info. hmmmm.

Anyway, I can do $80 fronts (6 in stock), and $74 rears (4 in stock)

I specifically asked Tom at Hawk about this. He said the pads have only been released in the past few weeks. Call him to verify at 1-800-542-0972. He said these were for the 2005+ Legacy GT. I hope he didn't screw up. I'd hate to have a bad post like this.

I've read in other forums that they can be noisy.

Just the front rotors are the same, are the front rotors on 04's the same as 05's? I've never compaired... Not saying he's wrong because the rear number he gave you doesn't match the 04 Legacy numbers I am looking at.

I've never had a noise problem with my hawk pads... ebc's I've had problems, not hawks.

On a side note, I'll post up my ability to offer Endless pads w/ pricing. This weekend.

I've never used them. I've heard they are a good low dust and noise street pad that is an improvement over stock. Anyone's past experiences with these pads would be great to hear.

Hawk HPS pads are big with the 300ZX community, nothing but positive reviews for street, light track use.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Guest *Jedimaster*

My first spring project will be new pads if not lines as well and I'd have no problem buying them now. This is so confusing to me- do they maek XT brakes? What's the best choice in a pad for a daily driven car that will see only a little spirited braking? I don't want a pad that chews the rotors up, makes a ton of dust or noise or wears out fast- can anyone help?

MDTurbo- if you're the guy who can answer this, you'll have my business.

I don't think the 2004 front pads will work. I had a 6 month disaster trying to get pads from Williams performance and they never did get the proper fitment (despite telling me they already had them in stock when I ordered...long story but NEVER do any busisness with Williams, they're a complete joke). They ended up telling me that they are a new pad for Subaru and none of their old pads would fit.

What's the best choice in a pad for a daily driven car that will see only a little spirited braking? I don't want a pad that chews the rotors up, makes a ton of dust or noise or wears out fast- can anyone help?

It's always been my understanding that improved braking as the result of new pads comes at the cost of increased rotor wear. I have always upgraded the pads on my sports cars in the past to "street performance" level pads from a number of different manufacturers (Axxis, Stillen, Hawk). Across the board, they've improved braking, decreased dust, some were noisy, some were quiet, and NONE of them killed rotors at an unacceptable/alarming rate.

ignore him, he'll go away.

I've used hawk pads on 2 cars now. My Audi UrQ had HP+ up front and HPS in the rear and my Gstock Neon ran HP+ up front. The HPS pads were deffinately the street set though. No major rotor issues, less dust then stock. Good initial bite and good modulation. They worked well from cold as well. The HP+s absolutly ate rotors. 15k miles per set of rotors and pads if I was lucky. And they could hold up with Motul600 fluid for 4 laps at PIR with Turns 1,2,3 turned on before they were fading.

Street Pads can allow better braking by using true ceramic pads and enjoy less dust (at least lighter colored dust) but the price paid is less heat transfered to the rotor as I understand it. They will fade quicker then metalic pads.

Ryan

They are okay. But like most carbotech pads the engagement is very nonlinear and unpredictable. Hawk HPS and HP+ have always been much better for consistency. The same with Cobalt. But earlier in the year when I bought the car and needed to get rid of the absolutely uselss stock pads, there was only one choice.

• 2 weeks later...
Please don't slam me for this - but in my experience more metallic based pads like Hawk just seem to 'feel' better. Firmer engagement - etc. There are other issues with more metallic pads like rotor wear and noise and dust etc but thats what I think. Hawk Blues take a lot of criticism for the crazy dust etc but there is no denying that they are a good pad.

Guess mdturbo ain't the one. Another vendor wanna jump in and make some money?

Hey jedi, sorry about that as I didn't see your question to me at the bottom of your post.

The Carbotech bobcats are a good street pad, low dust, low noise, but I personally like Hawk HPS for street applications. As stated previously, the fronts are coming from Hawk, but are not out yet. The HPS are Ferro-Carbon rather than Ceramic like the Bobcats or Hawk Ceramics, so they are less noisy and wear less. I personally haven't upgraded the POS brakes on my lgt, but the stockers are sqweeling at 23k so it is time for me to get new ones soon, most likely I'll be going with Carbotech bobcats myself.

IMO, I really dont think people who daily drive will enjoy the noise and dust of any pad other than those designed for street applications. The race pads work better, but noise and wear are the cons to those pads.

-Rob

EBC isn't the answer that's for sure. Cheaper - yeah I bet they are and for good reason. I'll have to be a little sarcastic here and say "I thought you drove a $30k Subaru - not a '94 Civic w/ a shopping cart handle and a fart can."

Put it this way. One of these companies is on cars at ROAD RACE courses I go to all the time. The other is on cars I see at the parking lot of the HIN show.

You decide

Archived