jim1969

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

installed the pads today:

HB432F.661 (front pads) fit just right on my 05 Legacy I

HB434F.543 (rears) won't fit the 2.5I

first 2 are of the similarities of the front brake pads, the second one is of the rear pads differences and the abuse on the front rotor of the front pads.

also the car seems to have a vry unnatural brake feel. it goes, then all of a sudden it just feels like a parachute is being deployed. I called tirerack and they said they will replace the rear pads.

frontbrakes2.jpg.9f35c9b57b91e063274e42655a1d1a5e.jpg

frontbrakes.jpg.5c7ff608ac68c7e2fa20900d1da32269.jpg

rearbrakes.jpg.1adfd0f1cc6786b85847fd44108394dd.jpg

rotor.jpg.6a0e49788aef823bb9e18bc8d1eedd93.jpg

that's for an 2.5i (which are some older legacy or impreza fitment).. the 2.5GT front are a new pad that Subaru never used before (which the Tribeca also uses the same caliper). The rears on the GT are similar to a WRX (I forgot the number, I think it's DT-770).
Keefe

i mentioned that above, and on the box for my rears there is a D770 mentioned right below the Hawk part #. gotta go grab the box for the front. i think the fronts on the 2.5i are caried from the previous generation legacy BH maybe?

I've got the same Hawk HPS rear pads (HB434F.543) on my 2.5GT and the rears fit fine, no issues whatsoever...

I had the Carbotech Bobcats prior to the HPS and the shapes were practically identical.

2.5GT vs. 2.5I are different brake applications right?

~Sucka-Duck~

I have Hawk HPS pads all-around (STI fronts/LGT rear)

Noise is not an issue, I had the bobcats prior and they were great pads, bed them in and they were quiet and fine, but i do alot of stop & go traffic here in SoCal so after awhile the Bobcats would become noisy!!

So i went to HPS's all around (plus STI brembos up front) and no noise whatso ever...Dusting is minmal compared to the Bobcats.

Hope that helps!

~Sucka-Duck~

^ the Hawk HPS and HP Plus are fine for your 3.0R if you want to do it that way.. the rear doesnt do all that much for us to begin with.

It should be fine. However, Hawks are cheap. Youre going to be looking at something like $60 or less for the HPS/Ceramics.

I would however recommend the Ceramics as they dust less ;)

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

how do the ceramics compare to the HPS pads at braking? noise?

The HPS should brake better, but has more noise/dust than the ceramic.

Carbotech Bobcats are kinda like a HPS performance with ceramic dust qualities. Possibility of more noise...

HP+ is even more aggressive, but noise and dust will be present and prolly would annoy people more than Bobcats would.

HT10/14s: would be perfect for track use.

DTC60/70: prolly would recommend R-comps as they have really high initial torque.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

seems people are happier with the hawks hps

i was thinking of hawk hps (front), techna fit brake lines all around, and regular brake fluid (no autocross for the red beast).

with 20,000 on the front rotors it was suggested to resurface the rotors.

i thought using a scuffing wheel would accomplish the same unless there are grooves? going in the right direction?

seems people are happier with the hawks hps

i was thinking of hawk hps (front), techna fit brake lines all around, and regular brake fluid (no autocross for the red beast).

with 20,000 on the front rotors it was suggested to resurface the rotors.

i thought using a scuffing wheel would accomplish the same unless there are grooves? going in the right direction?

The HPS are slightly less aggressive than the Bobcats. So the chances of noise are less. Remember that with any higher performance pad, you are increasing the chances of added noise. Some people have had noise w/ Bobcats, some have not. This may very well be the case with HPS, but in my opinion, the chances will be less.

Also remember that these compounds (Bobcat, HPS, etc) are all generic to all models. OE pads are specifically engineered for the vehicle they go on. They go through countless hours to make sure the pad compound, backing plate material/design, rotor materials and overall brake system work well together, yet make no noise.

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

1.So, does it make sense to wait Hawk or just go for Carbotech Bobcats?

2.On a side note, my GT is about 50K (mostly highway). Rotors look good to me and I wonder if I still need to turn them? Thanks for advice.

Archived