LegacyGT.com

Deer strike enroute to the track, SO. BUMMED.

Ugh, knew this was going to happen one of these days. There are so many deer out in the morning on this route to Oregon Raceway Park here in Central OR. Was cruising about 60 down a blank country road yesterday morning and a deer ran out of the shadow right in front of me. My buddy behind me said there was just zero time to react, I didn't even tap my brakes. Hit him in the ass from behind square in the middle of my front bumper. He flew straight up about 15 feet and landed well behind the car. Coolant gushing from the rad, I turned it off checked on the deer, (DOA) and called a flat bed to come get me while my buddy continued on in his R53 Mini to do his track day.

$550 dollar tow all the way back to Bend and I pushed it into my garage and started assessing and dismantling the carnage. Front radiator support assembly is smoked, its mostly bolt on with tack welds at the tips of the quarter panels. Koyorad is taco'd, JDM grill and new blue CF Madrid hood scoop, barely 2 months old, shattered. Hood smashed in, rad and fans smashed up against the timing covers, also cracked and broken. Shockingly, both headlights fresh as a daisy, although all the mounting tabs are broken clean off so they are done. Even more shocking, both front quarter panels absolutely perfect. No crinkles, no shifting, perfect panel gaps, they are fine. Bumper, although peppered with 10+ years of rocks is actually not broken. The paint is cracked and spidered from blunt force impact but ins not cracked or broken anywhere.

Everyone keeps telling me how lucky I am and I know it could have been way worse but yeah, super bummed to say the least. Pulled the timing covers off and checked marks, they looked ok. Pulled the crank position sensor to cut spark and turned it over, sounded like even audible compression. Plugged the crank position sensor back in cleared codes on my Accessport and fired it up. Sounds fine so luckily my forged motor appears to be ok and timing did not jump.

Guess I've got the winter to suss out parts get a game plan together and see if I can get Madrig to make me another CF scoop :( Will be combing the classifieds now as my parts list is fairly lengthy.

386459580_IMG_83512.thumb.jpg.252c3fae79a8dcb95226c22568fdee41.jpg

65386203914__6D8B20E0-FD93-4839-9FAE-0D424C1381E3.thumb.jpg.81c33aa1f1e1d84106f24a390763c008.jpg

65386541305__E0112F22-056C-488E-AB59-4A035640ACB4.thumb.jpg.f8f9f377de944c035fb51097d815ea2a.jpg

IMG_8354.thumb.jpg.c1316a69c4a3438a66aa9a4c56757d36.jpg

IMG_8368.thumb.jpg.508144715f891764656c17f81942e48a.jpg

Edited by shralp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see this. blue wagons are suffering this year...Gex recently damaged his wagon.

I have a "front radiator cut" from a spec b. everything back to the start of the wheel well. I'm not going to use it if you want to get it grafted on.

Might have some other parts to help out too. All from black cars tho

Edited by boxkita

Thanks guys, good to know that there are still some Legacy folks out there to share the pain with. I actually found a west coast car salvage dismantler yesterday that has an RBP ‘06 GT in one of their California yards. The pics they sent me are not super high res but the bumper and hood look to be in good shape. The prices are about the same as a new black primered hood and bumper cover from the dealership but I can’t imagine what a body shop is gonna charge me to paint them RBP

Man, so sorry to see this. Just glad you're OK. Car can be replaced. Shralp can NOT be replaced. I have an extra RBP hood and bumper cover, but I'm just a bit far away to be able to send it to you, unless you can't find anything else. Let me know if you truly need it and we'll figure it out.

So guys, went to a paint shop in town here in Bend that Sgt. Gator has used in the past to do some work on his Acura Integra race car. Looks like about $1100 to shoot the hood, bumper cover and blend the doors, (I will be providing a black primered OEM hood and bumper cover. After looking at some higher res pics of the RBP bumper and hood out of the dismantler in CA, they look to be in rough enough shape that I don't think its worth it at the price. I'm attempting to process WHY I'm thinking about spending $1100 on what is essentially a track car but god I just desperately want to keep this car OEM color and not start vinyl wrapping stuff and slapping on tons of stickers. Checking with a few buddys that paint estimate seems to be a pretty straight shooter price. Anyone with thoughts or want to try to talk some sense into me? :)

So guys, went to a paint shop in town here in Bend that Sgt. Gator has used in the past to do some work on his Acura Integra race car. Looks like about $1100 to shoot the hood, bumper cover and blend the doors, (I will be providing a black primered OEM hood and bumper cover. After looking at some higher res pics of the RBP bumper and hood out of the dismantler in CA, they look to be in rough enough shape that I don't think its worth it at the price. I'm attempting to process WHY I'm thinking about spending $1100 on what is essentially a track car but god I just desperately want to keep this car OEM color and not start vinyl wrapping stuff and slapping on tons of stickers. Checking with a few buddys that paint estimate seems to be a pretty straight shooter price. Anyone with thoughts or want to try to talk some sense into me? :)

Is "talking sense into you" voting for the new parts and paint? Done.

Boxkita's wagon had rock chips and other track damage. The jdm sport bumper largely removed most of the visible damage. Track cars, unless you daily them, tend to gradually get grungy.

If you want to keep the oem color, do the hood & bumper, clear-wrap them and move on.

A few wrap companies actually have a color similar rbp. Since you're doing large areas with non-complex curves, it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

Wow guys, thanks so much for reaching out! I'll touch base with you all via PM to see what my best option would be. Taking a big cash ding for paint out of the budget when I have viable existing parts within striking distance of me is huge.