LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

• 2 weeks later...

It sucks when the fuse for an electric outlet is at the other end of a 300m long conveyor belt with a steep 30 degree angle upwards.

Easiest way is to first take a car to the base of the other end then an elevator up... Then I have to find the fuse box with the fuse.

453747.png

I'm here at work watching all my outside CCTV like a hawk. Motion sensor alerted me at 4:50am today and captured a person at my front door wearing a hoodie. Woke up my wife and told her to open up the gun safe and just be ready. Let's hope she does not have to use it since our 3 year old is sleeping in his room.

Time to get paranoid.

From Schneier on Security:

Is Microsoft Stealing People’s Bookmarks?

I received email from two people who told me that Microsoft Edge enabled synching without warning or consent, which means that Microsoft sucked up all of their bookmarks. Of course they can turn synching off, but it’s too late.

Has this happened to anyone else, or was this user error of some sort? If this is real, can some reporter write about it?

(Not that “user error” is a good justification. Any system where making a simple mistake means that you’ve forever lost your privacy isn’t a good one. We see this same situation with sharing contact lists with apps on smartphones. Apps will repeatedly ask, and only need you to accidentally click “okay” once.)

EDITED TO ADD: It’s actually worse than I thought. Edge urges users to store passwords, ID numbers, and even passport numbers, all of which get uploaded to Microsoft by default when synch is enabled.

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2021/11/is-microsoft-stealing-peoples-bookmarks.html

453747.png

Had a talk with my wife when I got home from work yesterday. She want's me to add more camera's for the outside. I agree to it so time to start shopping.

I told my neighbor so there now been alerted.

Edited by amusa

Had a talk with my wife when I got home from work yesterday. She want's me to add more camera's for the outside. I agree to it so time to start shopping.

I told my neighbor so there now been alerted.

We had 3 break-ins on our street during the balloon fiesta this year - sadly, while all of the homes were pre-wired by the builder for alarms, most folks didn't bother with it. Now you are pretty much under surveillance if you come on our street, anyway - lots of homes with cameras. (we expanded our system a bit, too). Cameras help deter some, and alert the homeowner when things are going on, but if they want in, they'll get in. An alarm at least helps minimize the time they spend in the house if they chose to go in, or makes them reconsider your home over someone elses which doesn't have an alarm...

... sadly, while all of the homes were pre-wired by the builder for alarms, most folks didn't bother with it.

Doubly sad, since having a working, centrally-monitored fire/intrusion alarm system will usually earn you a substantial discount on your homeowner's insurance. For us, the annual insurance discount covers more than 100% of the cost of the monitoring service. It's a big win/win, but in many cases you only get the discount if you know to ask for it.

Edit: Expect the discount for a centrally-monitored alarm system to be on the order of 10 to 20 percent. I just checked, and the alarm discount on our current homeowner's policy is 15%.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Doubly sad, since having a working, centrally-monitored fire/intrusion alarm system will usually earn you a substantial discount on your homeowner's insurance. For us, the annual insurance discount covers more than 100% of the cost of the monitoring service. It's a big win/win, but in many cases you only get the discount if you know to ask for it.
We are going to have to inquire about that little discount… thanks for mentioning.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cameras, alarm, "nice" neighborhood. They are hitting cars in the area currently and don't even take much from what people are saying.

What are you all using for cameras/systems?

I'm using a verity since I been in the CCTV field before. I'm using Ring and Siemens (I use to work for Siemens in CCTV/Fire). Now Ring has these solar smart path lights that I'm thinking about ordering some.

Those home alarm company be careful, some or most of these installers are the one that will be breaking into your homes. They know the system in/out. If you want true security install the camera's yourself that way most of these people don't know the location of the camera's, motion senor. If they not looking for it or don't know what there looking for.

Edited by amusa

• 2 weeks later...
No idea whether there are any Beatles fans on this forum, but I laid out the $8/mo for Disney+ just to watch Peter Jackson's "Get Back." Having been a fan since I was an early teen...wow! And pardon my restraint with that comment. I may cancel my subscription, but for $1/hour of just this project, fair deal.

I still need to watch the second half of the second episode. It's pretty awesome that footage was out there. I grew up a casual Beatles fan but have gotten more appreciative of them over the last 5 years or so.

I love that Don't Let Me Down is featured so heavily in that production. My favorite Beatles tune.

Channel 18 is one my Sirius presets. Won't say I know everything about the Beatles but I sure do enjoy their music.

I use to listen to that channel and the Elvis channel when I had free subscription for few years. Previous owner bought a subscription and never cancel it when he traded the vehicle into the dealership.

I'm thinking about getting the subscription but I like to have it on both my vehicle (already equipped with Sirius XM from the factory) and pay for one vehicle if this even possible.

Edited by amusa

I use to listen to that channel and the Elvis channel when I had free subscription for few years. Previous owner bought a subscription and never cancel it when he traded the vehicle into the dealership.

I'm thinking about getting the subscription but I like to have it on both my vehicle (already equipped with Sirius XM from the factory) and pay for one vehicle if this even possible.

Elvis is another preset. I probably listen to that more than the Beatles but the kids just can't handle Elvis for long.

I don't think you can do the multivehicle thing with one subscription but if you call and haggle you may get a darn good deal for both.

• I Donated
"Rule #1: Never write the same song twice." ~ Attributed to Lennon and McCartney

Apparently they came up with that rule somewhere around 1965, because most of their early stuff sounds exactly the same to me. :spin:

The later stuff is great, though. Especially Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and The White Album. I'd say they're all probably in my top 20 albums released pre-1980, both on the strength of their individual tracks and their cohesiveness as concept albums.

On social media (Instagram memes mostly), the Beatles have been taking a kick for a while, as being coined an over rated band with no worthwhile music. Which is insane. People that subscribe to that train of thought, likely have no idea that a shit ton of music they like, is actually the Beatles. They have SO MANY songs!!! Many are pretty damn good.

I'm also an Elvis fan. Since Xm has moved the Elvis station, i don't hit it as often as i used to. I highly recommend visiting Graceland. It's bad ass. Memphis is actually cool as hell in general if you love rock and roll and the origins of it all!

We have xm on two cars. I call and haggle yearly to renew. Get each car for $5-6 a month and it's a win.