LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

On social media (Instagram memes mostly), the Beatles have been taking a kick for a while, as being coined an over rated band with no worthwhile music. Which is insane. People that subscribe to that train of thought, likely have no idea that a shit ton of music they like, is actually the Beatles. They have SO MANY songs!!! Many are pretty damn good.

I'm also an Elvis fan. Since Xm has moved the Elvis station, i don't hit it as often as i used to. I highly recommend visiting Graceland. It's bad ass. Memphis is actually cool as hell in general if you love rock and roll and the origins of it all!

We have xm on two cars. I call and haggle yearly to renew. Get each car for $5-6 a month and it's a win.

The Beatles tried almost everything. But because metal wasn't created they never tried it.

Without the Beatles I doubt that pop music had been the way it is. Think of a number of Michael Jackson or Madonna hits...

Without Elvis I doubt that metal rock would have been the way it is.

453747.png

Apparently they came up with that rule somewhere around 1965, because most of their early stuff sounds exactly the same to me. :spin:

The later stuff is great, though. Especially Magical Mystery Tour, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and The White Album. I'd say they're all probably in my top 20 albums released pre-1980, both on the strength of their individual tracks and their cohesiveness as concept albums.

Sound the same to you…give me any two examples.

That’s what I thought.

• I Donated
Sound the same to you…give me any two examples.

That’s what I thought.

Are they the same song? No, but which album they came from is pretty much indistinguishable IMO, because the overall sound is pretty much interchangeable, and they're pretty much all in the 2.5-3.5-minute range.

In contrast, nobody is ever going to confuse something off the White Album with something from Magical Mystery Tour, and they're certainly not going to confuse either one with any of the various earlier albums.

In more modern terms, it's the difference between a 90s boy band and something like Pearl Jam or Sublime. There's no experimentation or innovation with their older stuff. It's all very well-produced pop, but it doesn't break new ground.

Apparently they came up with that rule somewhere around 1965, because most of their early stuff sounds exactly the same to me.

There's no experimentation or innovation with their older stuff. It's all very well-produced pop, but it doesn't break new ground.

I agree. During the Beatles' early "bubble gum" period the songs sounded pretty similar. IMO, what set them apart from other British groups of the time was their energy, enthusiasm, and latent musicianship.

I was working in broadcast radio and TV in the mid '60s, and I finally began to take the Beatles seriously in 1966, when I happened to hear a C&W group led by "Whispering Bill" Anderson perform a tasteful interpretation of Yesterday. A seemingly-endless string of memorable, "never the same song twice" hits soon followed: Eleanor Rigby, A Day In The Life (notably covered by jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery), With A Little Help From My Friends, Hey Jude, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Norwegian Wood. (George Martin probably deserves some credit here, too.)

Norwegian Wood is still a particular favorite of mine. The first line is pure poetry, telling the entire story in only a few words. Stylistically, for me it evokes Edgar Allen Poe:

I once had a girl

Or I should say

She once had me.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Col. Edward Shames, the last surviving officer of the historic World War II parachute infantry regiment of the US Army known as Easy Company, died Friday at the age of 99.Shames "passed away peacefully at home," said the obituary posted by the Hollomon-Brown Funeral Home & Crematory.

During World War II, Shames "was a member of the renowned Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division now known globally as the 'Band of Brothers,'" according to the obituary. The story of Easy Company was later immortalized in the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers," based on The New York Times bestseller by Stephen E. Ambrose. (CNN and HBO are part of WarnerMedia.)

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/12/04/politics/edward-shames-easy-company-world-war-ii-band-of-brothers/index.html

453747.png

The Beatles pushed the boundaries of what was possible at the time.

I think a lot of people in my generation (millennials) and younger just think they were successful pop artists, but that is a massive disservice to their impact on the world of music

They were among the first (and certainly the most popular pioneers), to use the studio itself as an "instrument." Using tape effects, feedback, etc....there's a whole wiki page on it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recording_practices_of_the_Beatles

And all that aside, the music speaks for itself. It's incredible that they went from relatively simple pop sounds to masterful complex arrangements in what, a decade?

• I Donated

Less. First album came out in 1963. They were already into the really experimental shit by 1966.

Interesting stuff on the innovation in-studio. Sounds like that experimentation was a jumping-off-point for the more compositional experimentation on their later albums.

Bilateral inguinal hernia repair today. I have been putting this off for a while. 45 minute laparoscopic procedure. I feel good, sore. The cple weeks of light duty are going to be tough....I don't do well sitting around.

Ordering car parts....why not. See my build thread asking for opinions.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Flegacygt%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D286594&share_tid=286594&share_fid=5383&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

WTF, our shop supplier hardly have any parts in stock anymore. I was looking for OEM transmission oil pan bolts. $4 a bolt x 6 = $24 then I have to do 2 day shipping because I have the lift reserved for next week. It was like $46ish in total. Oh well I need it ASAP. I found out the OEM bolts can't be reused.

Parts are getting much harder to get.

Edited by amusa

WTF, our shop supplier hardly have any parts in stock anymore. I was looking for OEM transmission oil pan bolts. $4 a bolt x 6 = $24 then I have to do 2 day shipping because I have the lift reserved for next week. It was like $46ish in total. Oh well I need it ASAP. I found out the OEM bolts can't be reused.

Parts are getting much harder to get.

The world of "just in time" has arrived for spare parts as well - you need to know beforehand what you need so the warehouse can deliver, but the warehouse isn't there anymore so it has to be manufactured and then delivered.

453747.png

I agree. During the Beatles' early "bubble gum" period the songs sounded pretty similar. IMO, what set them apart from other British groups of the time was their energy, enthusiasm, and latent musicianship.

I was working in broadcast radio and TV in the mid '60s, and I finally began to take the Beatles seriously in 1966, when I happened to hear a C&W group led by "Whispering Bill" Anderson perform a tasteful interpretation of Yesterday. A seemingly-endless string of memorable, "never the same song twice" hits soon followed: Eleanor Rigby, A Day In The Life (notably covered by jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery), With A Little Help From My Friends, Hey Jude, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Norwegian Wood. (George Martin probably deserves some credit here, too.)

Norwegian Wood is still a particular favorite of mine. The first line is pure poetry, telling the entire story in only a few words. Stylistically, for me it evokes Edgar Allen Poe:

Even the bubble gum had complexities and details thanks to George Martin:

https://www.producingthebeatles.com/new-episodes/2018/11/19/006-not-so-simple-from-me-to-you-and-other-early-singles