LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Man I want a race wagon. What racing series is that? Looks fun. I notice it seems to wiggle a bit in the corners more than other cars, is that just due to the flex in the body? Was that a full cage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The wiggle is typical because getting the alignment setup was a pain. My racing coach talked to Phoenix when setting up my track wagon. The racing log book is full of suspension settings as Phoenix tried to get to handle better. In my search for traction, I upgraded suspension wheels tires and driving techniques. In the end, the best advice I got was buy something else. Until I gave up on my car, though, it was alot of fun. I could keep pace with every car on track and could pass most of them. About a month after the last track day, 5th gear shattered taking the transmission with it.

Once the suspension is configured correctly (throttle oversteer at the limit), it rides very well. It would sustain 1.25g and hit instantaneous 1.5g at apex. Granted thats slicks & coilovers, and the slicks are howling. It was scary. The whiteline parts were a big help and the kartboy solid endlinks took some play out of system. Changing the caster removed the normal centering aspect, which made turn in easier. It was best to drive the momentum line because it didn't do well when the balance was upset. The limited model is very top heavy so I had to allow for the body weight to move. I tended to apex about 20 yards sooner than the actual spot to allow for spool and weight transfer. Even then I tended to feather the throttle rather than mat it (an lsd probably would have helped).

That was imsa grand am in 2005. It has morphed into something else. Today the race wagon is legal for ST, ST2, luckydog endurance racing, nasa's 25 hours of thunderhill, SM autox, snd any number of hpde events. It's probably vintage, too.

I bought the race wagon from Sgt.Gator a few years ago, who bought it from Phoenix Motorsports (original builder/owner). I'd sell it in a heartbeat but its not going to be $5000. My original plan was to get video on track this year and list it on bat. But, you know, covid.

Here's the full thread on it - https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73859&highlight=grand

Edited by boxkita

Took the wagon for a little road trip to Cincinnati this weekend because the wife wanted to go to the IKEA since ours didn't have the complete set of furniture she wanted. Ran about 80 both ways with the sun roof all the way back and the music turned up. Today, washed the wagon along with all the others and took some photo's since it was super nice out.

2.1.thumb.jpg.16c56382d288a951ab8bd85584108932.jpg

4.1.thumb.jpg.0f3b93582f7353f55cb0b46ac6399d54.jpg

1.1.thumb.jpg.cfcf186c2b0590f5648f771a6592f089.jpg

3.1.thumb.jpg.863aa825ed09451ea4e056668b53caf8.jpg

Not quite today, but in the last week or so:

Topped off the power steering

Replaced the low beam headlight bulbs (drivers side was out, and I figured I might as well get both of them - Sylvania Xtravisions)

Replaced the cabin air filter. I saw a post from someone that had just recently replaced their CAF a bit before all the fires we've been having on the west coast and he pulled it. It was already quite fouled. That got me to thinking that I've never replaced mine in the five years I've had the car. So it might as well be time to do it.

I was somewhat expecting to find a dead yellowjacket nest, from the year that it sat, but that would have been pleasant compared to what came out of the CAF compartment.

What has been seen, can not be unseen - CAF01

What has been seen, can not be unseen - CAF02

What has been seen, can not be unseen - CAF03

What has been seen, can not be unseen - CAF04

Now the HVAC system blows air out of the vents!

SC

Edited by Smithcraft
Now I'm curious as to was was in that mass of stuff...

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Didn’t get to start the wagon last week. Turns out I’m an idiot. I had measured for the trans cooler fitment and thought I was spot on, BUT I failed to account for the additional space for brackets and elbows. Derp.

New cooler due tomorrow.

Instead I did this - got the Wangan axle backs on, JDM tails, and rear spats. Not shown, I stripped the JDM SpecB front clip down to get ready to swap over. (Ignore the jack stands and Ravens bumper sticker.)

a249dc6d63ddf89e924f356286a00c9f.jpg

Didn’t get to start the wagon last week. Turns out I’m an idiot. I had measured for the trans cooler fitment and thought I was spot on, BUT I failed to account for the additional space for brackets and elbows. Derp.

New cooler due tomorrow.

Instead I did this - got the Wangan axle backs on, JDM tails, and rear spats. Not shown, I stripped the JDM SpecB front clip down to get ready to swap over. (Ignore the jack stands and Ravens bumper sticker.)

That axleback looks great, now you just need the shorter JDM bumper so they can peek out in all their glory.

New cooler due tomorrow.

I fondly call that photo the, "assume the position" photo. LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

That axleback looks great, now you just need the shorter JDM bumper so they can peek out in all their glory.

I've been looking for one. Considering the amount of paint work I'm lining up might as well do the rear bumper too. :lol:

I've been looking for one. Considering the amount of paint work I'm lining up might as well do the rear bumper too. :lol:

I know of the difference between the different whites between USDM and JDM, how are the reds? Is there a matching JDM red or are they all a different shade like the white is?

I know of the difference between the different whites between USDM and JDM, how are the reds? Is there a matching JDM red or are they all a different shade like the white is?

Just a shade or so. Though it’s hard to tell how much is due to an actual different color formula, or how much is due to age/wear. It’s like they’re a couple variances apart. But hard to tell from ten feet. The front look darker than my side skirts. I’ll get some close ups once I have those on.

If I were guessing on paint mixes I’d say the JDM red likely has more blue pigment in the mix than the USDM, but less mica than USDM.

Hello Guys!! i just got my 2006 Spec B #417....... Amazing Car!!! Don't need to explain more cause you know better than me guys!!!!

For now i just enjoy drive it but im plan to add my touch on it but at the same time i don't want to ruin the car.... lollll

First thing that miss me its no Aux input or usb or Bluetooth!!!

im looking for good rotor and pad for daily use and good HID ro LED for Headlight and fog lights

Any Idea or Advice for a good setup will be really appreciate

SC- you might have me beat! I figure prior owner never changed it out.

Yours is certainly blocked, but you'd need that little bit of fuzz to extend up a few inches to beat my CAF!

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Hello Guys!! i just got my 2006 Spec B #417....... Amazing Car!!! Don't need to explain more cause you know better than me guys!!!!

For now i just enjoy drive it but im plan to add my touch on it but at the same time i don't want to ruin the car.... lollll

First thing that miss me its no Aux input or usb or Bluetooth!!!

im looking for good rotor and pad for daily use and good HID ro LED for Headlight and fog lights

Any Idea or Advice for a good setup will be really appreciate

Congratulations!

I'd maybe see about swapping in a later radio that has the AUX input, to get the AUX feature. You'd maybe also need the faceplate/garnish that hides the radio.

I think most here would recommend the Centric rotors. There's a very wide range of suggestions for brake pads though. I made a thread asking what people liked. You can find it here

I've heard that the prefacelift (05-07) model fog lights are actually useful so maybe a impressive bulb will work better?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Drove it work and ordered some more parts for the Spec B swap & turbo upgrade. Torque Solutions aluminum carrier bearing, i-Wire fuel pump kit, and all whiteline bushings for the rear control arms.

Think the only thing left is Koyo raditor, new hoses and the rear diff bushings but I may just swing for the Cusco reinforced one to match the rear sway bar.

Rock Auto has rebuilt and paint stripped front Brembos for $180 a caliper. I bought another set just because good deal. Not sure what color I’ll go with yet. I’ll have to strip and rebuild my spare rears along with them.

50399758087_262ef63417_c.jpg