LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I haven't worked on my wagon since last weekend. The snow and ice storm in Portland meant frozen fire sprinkler systems galore, so I've been working 16+ hour days since last weekend getting systems restored.

I did add a lot more damplifier pro to the trunk area and began my "battery remodel". My battery has been free floating for idk how long. I vaguely remember having a tie down at one point but I don't know what happened to it. I replaced the positive terminal with a new OEM since it's cheap but opted to clean the negative with a dremel carbon steel brush since that harness is almost 100 bucks. It actually worked quite well and I haven't had to pop the hood and jiggle the negative to get it to start ever since. I even purchased the GT specific insulator box thing. I also purchased two of the front tie down posts - apparently the rear is shorter. So, I fired up the dremel again and improvised until I could get a new one.

Please don't judge my wiring, it's atrocious I know. I'm on the hunt for a fuse panel to clean all this up but I'm waiting until I install the 2nd battery wiring.

While I had the battery out I did a test run on the area that went to shit while the car was sitting courtesy of a leaking battery. Really wish I had taken it out. I'll be cleaning the whole area with carbon steel brushes and then rattle canning it.

Alec at Heuberger Subaru, if you're reading this, could you possibly consider double checking with customers before sending them two of a part they only need one of? It would have been a huge help when I ordered two right side inner tie rod boots.

After all this I climbed underneath and replaced the donut gasket. I noticed that my brand new mid to y pipe gasket was leaking likely due to having to use hardware that was too small, so I grabbed the larger stainless hardware I bought and put a new gasket on. I'm really looking forward to my custom mufflers getting built on the 30th.

I also drove my wagon in the snow for the first time I've owned it, since I've always had summer tires up until now.

20240114_114717.jpg

20240114_114752.jpg

20240114_125114.jpg

20240114_013428.jpg

20240114_015721.jpg

20240114_014553.jpg

20240114_013459.jpg

20240114_013518.jpg

Edited by alex0856
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Enlight said:

I think it's the wrong way around, unless you're testing us... then it's fine 😆

Nah, that's just JDM. You know, it's like LHD styles.

🤪

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, alex0856 said:

I haven't worked on my wagon since last weekend. The snow and ice storm in Portland meant frozen fire sprinkler systems galore, so I've been working 16+ hour days since last weekend getting systems restored.

I did add a lot more damplifier pro to the trunk area and began my "battery remodel". My battery has been free floating for idk how long. I vaguely remember having a tie down at one point but I don't know what happened to it. I replaced the positive terminal with a new OEM since it's cheap but opted to clean the negative with a dremel carbon steel brush since that harness is almost 100 bucks. It actually worked quite well and I haven't had to pop the hood and jiggle the negative to get it to start ever since. I even purchased the GT specific insulator box thing. I also purchased two of the front tie down posts - apparently the rear is shorter. So, I fired up the dremel again and improvised until I could get a new one.

Please don't judge my wiring, it's atrocious I know. I'm on the hunt for a fuse panel to clean all this up but I'm waiting until I install the 2nd battery wiring.

While I had the battery out I did a test run on the area that went to shit while the car was sitting courtesy of a leaking battery. Really wish I had taken it out. I'll be cleaning the whole area with carbon steel brushes and then rattle canning it.

Alec at Heuberger Subaru, if you're reading this, could you possibly consider double checking with customers before sending them two of a part they only need one of? It would have been a huge help when I ordered two right side inner tie rod boots.

After all this I climbed underneath and replaced the donut gasket. I noticed that my brand new mid to y pipe gasket was leaking likely due to having to use hardware that was too small, so I grabbed the larger stainless hardware I bought and put a new gasket on. I'm really looking forward to my custom mufflers getting built on the 30th.

I also drove my wagon in the snow for the first time I've owned it, since I've always had summer tires up until now.

20240114_114717.jpg

20240114_114752.jpg

20240114_125114.jpg

20240114_013428.jpg

20240114_015721.jpg

20240114_014553.jpg

20240114_013459.jpg

20240114_013518.jpg

Ah dude. Just ask @Enlight about the right way to use Evaporust. He's the the go to guy for this kind of work... 😉

😆

Evaporust certainly has a learning curve. Just be aware that it's basically an acid and can also take things off that are not rust (like anodized coatings). Also, if you only partially submerge an item in Evaporust, it will etch a line at the high water mark. I believe this is from the condensation that forms on the item, rusting it, then gets eaten by Evaporust 🤕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

15 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Nah, that's just JDM. You know, it's like LHD styles.

🤪

You are correct, that was my JDM badge swap. However it didn't fit quite right since I only had USDM double sided tape. So I had to go back to my USDM badge for now.

20240114_023046.jpg

I'm happy to report that after 5 days of sitting my car fired right up today. No more battery drain for this guy.

Today was flappy vent install day (I've decided flappy vent is a much better term than quarter panel vent). I had hoped to get away with popping the corners of the rear bumper cover and fishing them out and in. I was able to get the old ones out this way, but couldn't get the leverage on the new one to clip it in. So the cover had to come off.

I'm glad I did though because I learned that there are in fact drains back there. I got those out, cleaned them, and then half ass cleaned the quarter panels since it was 11pm and very cold.

After that I popped in the new flappy vents and put everything back together. Now I just need to run the 4 gauge for the 2nd battery and the trunk can be reassembled.

It appears that water is seeping ever slightly through the foam gaskets on the rear bumper cover and through a few of the grommets back there. I removed and cleaned the big grommets as a bandaid fix for now. I'll have to go back in at some point with a bunch of new rubber pieces on hand. I'm not too stressed about this though as the major culprit has been removed.

20240120_204221.jpg

20240120_220803.jpg

20240120_204335.jpg

20240120_224229.jpg

20240120_224327.jpg

20240120_230554.jpg

20240120_230913.jpg

• Like 4

mmmh. I should probably do that. We drive a lot on dusty dirt roads and stuff and dust is found everywhere inside the small side compartments of the trunk. Maybe the flap vents are not doing their job very well anymore.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

39 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

mmmh. I should probably do that. We drive a lot on dusty dirt roads and stuff and dust is found everywhere inside the small side compartments of the trunk. Maybe the flap vents are not doing their job very well anymore.

They are probably not flapping very well anymore. I found that two of the flaps were stuck together. When I peeled them apart I found brand new rubber on those surfaces so I'm thinking it's been like that since the car was new. Everything under my trunk's trim pieces was covered in dirt so I'm blaming my aging flaps.

7 minutes ago, Code said:

25 cents worth of gorilla tape will fix em right. 

True, but I'm not a fan of my ears popping when I close the door. I'm also not a fan of those kinds of fixes. I'd rather take the time to do it right.

I should probably buy another set of these to have on hand since they'll probably cease production soon enough.

Edited by alex0856

On the 48 Hours trip (with @JJBerk) I noticed my thermostat never made it above 175f/80c. I removed the thermostat housing today and discovered I installed a 78c low-temp thermostat. This can happen when you buy everything off Facebook marketplace. I installed the OEM thermostat and saw temps go up to 205f/96c.

Funny, considering all the lengths I go to pre-heat the engine.

In 32f/0c the pre-heater is able to get the coolant up to 154f/68c in about 30 minutes before it begins to stall. I really appreciate being able to pre-heat anywhere and in a fraction of the time. It was very useful on the road trip not having to find plugs each night. I will have to learn to live without the sound of cold starts.

With more time, I'd like to figure out how to safely angle the pre-heater's exhaust to warm the oil pan. That being said, I've retained the stock oil heat exchanger and it reads 104f/40c when I start her up. You can see it dip down a little bit as it pulls cold oil into the engine.

I was also able to fix my oil temp sensor by cleaning up the connectors, glad that I didn't burn any wires.

P.S. Oh, also my rough idle may have been my crank position sensor. I pulled it out and found a bunch of gunk on it. The idle was much smoother after. We'll see whether misfire codes come back.

thermostat_205f.jpg

78c_thermostat.jpg

• Like 1

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

6 hours ago, alex0856 said:

They are probably not flapping very well anymore. I found that two of the flaps were stuck together. When I peeled them apart I found brand new rubber on those surfaces so I'm thinking it's been like that since the car was new. Everything under my trunk's trim pieces was covered in dirt so I'm blaming my aging flaps.

True, but I'm not a fan of my ears popping when I close the door. I'm also not a fan of those kinds of fixes. I'd rather take the time to do it right.

I should probably buy another set of these to have on hand since they'll probably cease production soon enough.

Do you have part ## on hand to share? I think buying extra set is a great idea... Also, back in the day I put some soft metal mesh (cut from some Home Depot stock) over the frame. Prevents mice getting into the car - happened with wife's Tribeca.

• Thanks 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I washed the Spec B and parked in its storage spot for the rest of winter.  I was able to get the Forester up and running this weekend, after a long couple of weeks of trying to get it safetied and road legal.  Which included me spending a night out in -10 degree weather to install new fog lights, and replacing a front wheel bearing.

Then did a 400km(248mile) round trip in the forester.  But gas mileage was terrible so I plan on swapping the rear O2 sensor in hopes of getting slightly better gas mileage(new spark plugs, air filter, maf already).  The clock/ estimated fuel consumption was showing numbers all over the place and I had gotten an O2 sensor error last week but it didn't come back so I think the O2 is on its way out.

• Like 4

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

Got the wing on and I love it! Honestly was a little skeptical on the paint design when I just saw the painted wing by itself but once it was on all that went away. Hard to get decent shots of it because the car is tucked in a corner. And before anyone mentions anything - the paint matches, the car is just really dusty.2.thumb.jpg.df457b987226f7b32b59fbd22642a816.jpg1.jpg.45b50f8c69d86498c6d8bd4db1970bb1.jpg3.jpg.c1203d85903877e09dad05ef426a2444.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Camel is finally home! Entirely new fueling with surge tank mounted in the spare tire well, Haltech,and much more. Really really pleased with the power and street ability/tun-ability. 435whp/420wtq on E60. Push to pass, rolling antilag. Going to be so great on track! 

IMG_0744.jpeg

• Like 11

15 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Does it misfire consistently in a same cylinder?

Nope, it's all cylinders. Also, I'm running an aftermarket crank position sensor. I bought it in a hurry when I was getting her buttoned up for the tuner. I spoke with a Subaru master tech on the trip and he confirmed that sensor could produce the misfires. I won't get to drive her for a few weeks but will report back when I do.

muFreight.co

Bessie II's Thread

18 hours ago, tysparks81 said:

I washed the Spec B and parked in its storage spot for the rest of winter.  I was able to get the Forester up and running this weekend, after a long couple of weeks of trying to get it safetied and road legal.  Which included me spending a night out in -10 degree weather to install new fog lights, and replacing a front wheel bearing.

Then did a 400km(248mile) round trip in the forester.  But gas mileage was terrible so I plan on swapping the rear O2 sensor in hopes of getting slightly better gas mileage(new spark plugs, air filter, maf already).  The clock/ estimated fuel consumption was showing numbers all over the place and I had gotten an O2 sensor error last week but it didn't come back so I think the O2 is on its way out.

The rear O2 sensor just checks the efficiency of the catalytic converter and is used to provide the dreaded P0420 indication.  The front O2 sensor actually alters the mixture.

• Like 2

Well, I drove it for the last time last night, then bolted on a new plate for the new owners and watched it drive off. 6 years with 4th gens and I have to say, they are great when nothing is breaking. I'll be over in the 5th gen forum mostly now but I'll lurk here since these are still the best looking and performing Legacys. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, amptramp said:

The rear O2 sensor just checks the efficiency of the catalytic converter and is used to provide the dreaded P0420 indication.  The front O2 sensor actually alters the mixture.

Not entirely true. On 05+ the rear O2 sensor can affect fuel trims. It's A/F3 correction and learning. See this linked thread.

https://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8595&start=0

• Like 2

Same! Mine has been on a  battery tender since the last week of October.  It had a fresh wash but now it’s a layer of dust.  Sounds like a perfect reason to take her for a rip then another fresh wash.  

• Like 4
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder