LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

I had to time-sert all four calipers because they were stripped. . Ordered powder swatches today. I have new everything for the caliper rebuild along with dba rotors and project mu pads.  Looking forward to one of the last upgrades I want for the lgt. I’ve said it a few times since 2009, but I really am just about finished with mods.  Not much left to upgrade after this!

• Like 3
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Maiden voyage of the coolant pre-heater! I still haven't been able to get the remote working but I'm glad it's working in time for 48 Hours of Tri-state. We should begin seeing overnight lows in the high teens during the trip. More details in Bessie's thread.

• Like 4

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

@DoctorDaveLGT One other thing I forgot that you’ll want to get with the reclining seats is the tonneau cover that has a flap that extends towards the back of the rear seats and is spring loaded to stay in place and slide back with the seats.

You can probably find a better condition one than this, but here is an example: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t1105929991

IMG_6666.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

Stock MC, but I do have a GS brace, which I feel is worthwhile for the minimal cost. My wagon comes to a blistering halt

I didn’t get mine repainted, and I’m regretting that bc they could use it

GrimmSpeed brace is a must have

21 hours ago, Code said:

Are you still using the stock MC or upgraded sti unit?  I don’t plan on changing mine. Just doing caliper/rotors/pads. 

Fill your system with Motul DOT 5.1 when you do this, you won't regret it

I've been very happy with my stopping power and brake feel since I did new calipers/rotors/pads/fluid and added the MC brace. However in hindsight I will say I wish I had used the opportunity to upgrade the fronts. Oh well, next time.

• Like 2

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/PMB-6909/illusion-smurf?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-vOsBhAAEiwAIWR0TR1jEg1THGoo888TD0vP2nYahs6j_0nUiBw4tisZQgNSAKHDMYoUrBoC8D4QAvD_BwE

its probably a bit cliche but I’m leaning towards this wrb clone with white brembo logo. All my couplers under the hood are blue.  Brakes will be the only thing on the exterior that isn’t white or real carbon fiber. I think it’ll look good behind the hyper silver enkei wheels and add a subtle hint of Subaru WRC lineage to the car. 

• Like 4
"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

On 1/7/2024 at 1:08 AM, alex0856 said:

I also did away with my old flaps (I think they were called flapattacks or something like that?) and installed new OEM splash guards. Really going for that "OEM plus" look.

20231229_074150.jpg

20231226_131854.jpg

FB_IMG_1514623745095.jpg

Where’d you find the mudflaps? I really like these. Ended up buying some rally armors which are ok but really like the look of these instead, this is what I’d want. Are they still available? TIA!

27 minutes ago, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

Where’d you find the mudflaps? I really like these. Ended up buying some rally armors which are ok but really like the look of these instead, this is what I’d want. Are they still available? TIA!

Top pic or bottom pic? Top is what the car looks like today with 17x7.5s and OEM splash guards, bottom pic with the chunky 18x8.5s is old. They're a rigid plastic and the brand was called "flap attacks" or something along those lines, they were a group buy on the forum at least 10 years ago.

• Thanks 1

Today, I think I spent my final day at the DMV finalizing my LGT purchase with proper title (post the death of one of the owners on the title) to make the bi-state transfer. The process started in October. I have made one over night trip back to Oregon to deal with their DMV with the previous owner and I received a title in my name today. Then I went straight to the CA DMV.

Legal issues with titles can be an issue. CA has the option of owner 1 and/or owner 2. Either named person can sell the vehicle.  Oregon does not have and/or although allows both names on the title. So in Oregon both signatures need to be present to sell a vehicle. So when one of the people dies that needs to sign the title you end up where I have been for months. A family trust can eliminate this type of issue. I highly recommend a family trust if you can trust your family as your family members get older. A family trust allows other named on the trust to deal with financial/legal issues.

Then I got a new set of wiper blades and installed them along with the new license plate.

• Like 2

Well I went to start prepping for my Second Skin install and found a cool puddle behind the left rear wheel well. I'm guessing it's from the rubber on the vents not sealing anymore. There's a tiny bit of moisture on the right as well.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How did you fix it? The stupid vents are $70/each and I'm thinking I'll be stuck buying new ones. Oh well.

It's funny, I was thinking the other day about how I've never had to remove my rear bumper cover. Looks like that's going to change.

20240110_012813.jpg

20240110_012746.jpg

I did new low beam bulbs and wiper blades and a good wash on the weekend, then posted the car for sale locally. I will be sad to see it go but it has been very stressful driving the car over the last few months. I'm happy to be driving the 5th gen 3.6R, it is much more comfortable, much cheaper on gas, and much cheaper on maintenance so far.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, lagwagon said:

I did new low beam bulbs and wiper blades and a good wash on the weekend, then posted the car for sale locally. I will be sad to see it go but it has been very stressful driving the car over the last few months. I'm happy to be driving the 5th gen 3.6R, it is much more comfortable, much cheaper on gas, and much cheaper on maintenance so far.

Dang! Same country, but Alberta is just a little to far to go. I'd buy a clean ABP M/T any day.

12 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Dang! Same country, but Alberta is just a little to far to go. I'd buy a clean ABP M/T any day.

Yeah, it's not worth it to ship these cars across country at their current value. Even within a province it gets pretty pricey.

Ah man, nah. Alberta?

I'd take a bus out and cannonball the car back in a day and a half. Doesn't make sense to ship within North America if it is driveable.

Non-running, is a different question. Hah, which is still halfway the same answer. If it is nearly running, you bus/fly out and park it at the nearest parts store until it runs right, then get it back home Roadkill style. Hah!

😁

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, alex0856 said:

Well I went to start prepping for my Second Skin install and found a cool puddle behind the left rear wheel well. I'm guessing it's from the rubber on the vents not sealing anymore. There's a tiny bit of moisture on the right as well.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How did you fix it? The stupid vents are $70/each and I'm thinking I'll be stuck buying new ones. Oh well.

It's funny, I was thinking the other day about how I've never had to remove my rear bumper cover. Looks like that's going to change.

20240110_012813.jpg

20240110_012746.jpg

I actually just sealed mine with foil backed butyl. When taking off my rear bumper I found the flaps were stuck open and letting exhaust into the cabin. I believe their purpose is to prevent wind buffeting but I just open my rear windows a crack.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

15 minutes ago, Enlight said:

I actually just sealed mine with foil backed butyl. When taking off my rear bumper I found the flaps were stuck open and letting exhaust into the cabin. I believe their purpose is to prevent wind buffeting but I just open my rear windows a crack.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-those-rubber-flaps-are-hidden-behind-your-re-1828016409#:~:text=One of the reasons that,and make noises as air

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WRX USA said:

Thanks for sharing this haha fortunately I already knew what they were for so I knew I definitely didn't want to go with the sealing route. I bit the bullet and ordered new ones, I found them for 58 each. This would also explain the occasional exhaust smell I'm getting, esp since my muffler gaskets are leaking.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 4:10 PM, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

If you want my old flaps I am more than happy to ship them to you. Would rather give them to someone than have them sit in a box. They're beat up but if you took the time to sand the edges and repaint I bet they'd look alright. PM me if you're interested.

@Code Your post reminded me I was supposed to follow up. The color on my calipers is Prismatic's Dusted Candy Blue. Posting the pic of it for convenient reference, wheels are gunmetal. That color with hyper silver should look really good. I like your philosophy and don't think it's cliche, but might be biased as I'm pretty much doing the same on mine. Only color outside of the white/cf is the blue grampus signals, blue plated JDM headlights, calipers, and then the ION fogs to pay homage to the rally colors. I guess the taillights would be the exception but kinda a moot point.IMG_9216.thumb.jpg.c311efc7f930826c1518a1c5c053d9de.jpgIMG_9265.thumb.jpg.bf1242fd7992b77cd8bc3e65c9f250fa.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I managed to squeeze the car in to the garage and stack my interior pieces on the roof (I threw a brand new moving blanket on it first) so that I can start installing damplifier pro...after talking to their support team it looks like I am not covering nearly enough. They recommend between 25-60% of all exposed metal surfaces.

They also recommend removing the factory tar boards if possible. I spent about 10 seconds attempting that and said nope, that's a can of worms I do not want to open.

So I'll be going back in to the trunk and fitting pieces where I can. I haven't added any to the spare tire well yet because I have a box of Amazon sound deadener that my brother gave me which I'm saving for that. Just focusing on areas that are covered by the interior right now.

Really getting down to the wire...2 weeks until I move and still no carpet. My friend is letting me use his shop this weekend to install the luxury liner since my garage isn't big enough to remove the front seats with the car fully inside.

New custom mufflers are being installed on 1-30 so once that's done I'll seafoam it and install the AOS.

Fun times.

20240111_015003.jpg

20240111_015013.jpg

20240111_014952.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/9/2024 at 5:10 PM, SoobyDoobyDoo said:

I just ordered a set from Groove Subaru in Denver, so they’re still available from the accessories catalog. Thanks alex0856! I didn’t know about the oem mud guards.

• Like 1