LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

19 hours ago, DoctorDaveLGT said:

Powder coater sent me an update on the Bremboi's. Should be picking them up next week. Decided to go with Candy Blue and bright silver logo's. I really like how the logo is actually powder coated on and not just a sticker or other.

Still waiting on a few parts to arrive before install but I'm itching to get this project done - honestly went way overkill but screw it. Going with Endless MX72 Plus pads F&R, Endless SS lines, Paragon 2-piece front rotors, Girodisc 2-piece rear rotors (couldn't find a manufacturer that makes a full 2-piece set) along with the STI BMC & booster. Hopefully should have everything delivered mid-November, so it can be installed right before it gets put away for the winter 🫠.

Oh and the tuning is 99% done. Just working on improving cold starts due to an exorcism of things that thou shall not be mentioned. Wagon rips though, still need to do a log to see how quick I can get to full boost.

front.jpeg

rear.jpeg

Ooooweeeee who did you use? I have some brakes that need that kind of lovin

Swapped out all 4 spark plugs, and found one coil is on its way out.  Fixed a short in one of the wires to my headlights that was causing that side headlight to intermittently flicker or stop working.

I'm at 38x,xxx km which is something like 230,000 miles.

• Like 2

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

11 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Was the outside of the bad coil bulged? How could you tell it was bad?

One one of them there was rust around the part that is black as well as it starting to separate.  I believe they are just layers of metal, but once they start to rust and separate they tend to stop working properly.  

#LGTSTi is still cheaper and nicer then an equal year wrxsti

Follow my 2007 Spec B. Build here

11 hours ago, blackobxt said:

Ooooweeeee who did you use? I have some brakes that need that kind of lovin

Place called PCT Coatings in Anderson, IN. Shane Marshall is the man and you can look him up on FB to see what he's done. Awesome stuff and would highly recommend!

• Thanks 1

Well, today was a little slower for me as I have been working on my GT almost non-stop since picking it up 17 days ago. Some of my work is listed on my New To the forum page. However, today I needed to find out if the clutch feel is just going to be inconsistent or if it just needed a good bleed job. Turns out the fluid was old dark and had air in it. I bled the system more times than I thought I should and it resulted in more air coming out of the system. Now the pedal is consistent. My wife and I will take it for a few hundred mile mountain road drive tomorrow while I wait to see what parts show up next.

• Like 4

Took my class 3 hitch off my 09 LGT just now.  That will work better on my 2006 Outback 3.0R.  Ended up with the exhaust hanger by the rear diff busting off the pipe - rusty due to MN road salt.  Not sure if I can get a clamp on hanger or just go without it.  The exhaust is still nice and quiet but yeah it shows it's age on the outside and it is original to the car.

On 10/26/2023 at 3:28 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

All I know is I am NOT raving about my stoptech pads with stoptech rotors. Lots of pulsation problems during hard braking. I hate it. Apparently, there's no fix :mad:. I know my caliper pistons and sliding pins are all fine. Pads are evenly worn too.

I went through hell of trying to get rid of that brake pulsation for years. Even made me think about selling the car. Cost me at least 2 sets of ball joints and tie rods.

Ended up being an incompatibility between stock OEM pads and Centric rotors. Apparently both have changed over the years and what was a fine combo before stopped being fine.

Swapped to OEM rotors and new set of OEM pads and now the car is smooth again.

• Like 1

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

On 10/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, gimpydingo said:

I've been running centric rotors and hawk hps pads for years.  Little noisey at times,  but overall great and no issues.  

Yeap, was good on Centric rotors and hawk HPS pads too. Was a little noisy/dusty sometimes, and needed some warming up before they would bite in the winter.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

10 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

I went through hell of trying to get rid of that brake pulsation for years. Even made me think about selling the car. Cost me at least 2 sets of ball joints and tie rods.

Ended up being an incompatibility between stock OEM pads and Centric rotors. Apparently both have changed over the years and what was a fine combo before stopped being fine.

Swapped to OEM rotors and new set of OEM pads and now the car is smooth again.

I said 'stoptech rotors' but I think they were labeled as Centric rotors. In any case, they all look fine, pads look fine. It just pulsates when you begin to really brake. My 06 has the same pads but I got the stoptech slotted rotors. This one has not pulsated so far.

28 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

Yeap, was good on Centric rotors and hawk HPS pads too. Was a little noisy/dusty sometimes, and needed some warming up before they would bite in the winter.

Any chance you've got a part number for the Hawk HPS to fit front rotors?

I've been having a look around and the only Hawk stuff I can find is for rears atm.... So, I was leaning towards a set of EBC Yellow Stuff pads, but I'm open to suggestions.

22 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Any chance you've got a part number for the Hawk HPS to fit front rotors?

I've been having a look around and the only Hawk stuff I can find is for rears atm.... So, I was leaning towards a set of EBC Yellow Stuff pads, but I'm open to suggestions.

it was many years ago, but this is what I bought for fronts: Hawk Performance HB533F.668

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKYGVS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rears: Hawk Performance HB434F.543

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO8XLC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2023 at 3:21 PM, xt2005bonbon said:

I am currently using a GS unit, which came with its own oring/gasket. I did recall hearing that sound prior to using the GS unit. So I thought that would have ruled out a leak. But I did notice some slight oil residue between the IC and turbo.. I only hear it if I get past 19 psi or so (>~3.0 g/rev load).

Would this Mr gasket 738G help and be compatible with a GS unit? I guess I should try it..

PXL_20231001_024530979.MP.jpg

I did install the Mr gasket 738G 1500 miles ago. The area is now nice and free oil residue. But I still get the whistling turbo noise when I go to 18+ psi. I need to record the sound. Still can't exactly figure out where it is coming from. My fuel trims are spot on. Then again, when this happens, it is in open loop with trim D set to 0...

It's a long shot, but would the infamous wastegate crack do this?? I don't know how it would. But I know my turbo has such a hairline crack.

4 minutes ago, BoozeRS05 said:

If I ever get pulsing or issues with my brakes that I can’t explain, I’ll do a handful of aggressive stops and cool offs like I’m bedding them again, and they’re normal.

This might work, but temporarily. I recall a thread where people complained about this problem with this combination of pads and rotors. I think Msprank said that the problem will eventually come back again. Sucks man.

• Like 2

I like Akebono pads, fwiw. 

Years ago, in my attempt to oem+/jdm-ification update my ride I threw a search into fleabay for STI Legacy. Every so often results still pop up. Lobbing this link to provide inspo and drools. Family manification puts these out of my reach, hope someone else can benefit. Not affiliated with or endorsing seller. Shiny🤤🤑

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375021678409?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=f396e474b0664e45a55bc35843bcca67&bu=44330611706&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20231030082944&segname=11021

• Like 3

On topic: threw a P0170 on my morning commute Friday morning. Dash lit up as I got to on-ramp. Couldn’t check code til I got home, unfortunately. Airbox is tight, filter only six weeks old. Took a shot at cleaning the MAF yesterday hoping that could clear it. No dice. Already had a brake inspection on deck this morning so the shop will knock this out first. Hopefully doesn’t stress the wallet too much as I’d like to get new pads all around and finally upgrade to Stoptech ss lines that I prolly got two years ago. Will drop progress report later. 

2 hours ago, snow05gtRI said:

it was many years ago, but this is what I bought for fronts: Hawk Performance HB533F.668

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VKYGVS/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

rears: Hawk Performance HB434F.543

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CO8XLC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unsurprisingly, Amazon says those do not fit a 4th Gen Legacy. I will assume that is because of the large GT brakes not being part of that database.

Thanks very much. I found another place that confirms those are the correct numbers anyway. Seems smart to double check these things before running off and spending that kind of money on a set of pads!

• Like 1