LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

Wagon people, question for you - which harness on the rear gate has the defroster? Mine does not seem to work anymore, I guess the wires snapped.

I replaced the radio one which I believe was the left side a few years ago. Should have replaced the other one at that time but oh well.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

50 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

Wagon people, question for you - which harness on the rear gate has the defroster? Mine does not seem to work anymore, I guess the wires snapped.

I replaced the radio one which I believe was the left side a few years ago. Should have replaced the other one at that time but oh well.

Definitely RHS boot.

Be ready to repair a few, or run some new wires through the flexy part. Willing to bet when you get in there, you're going to find more than one broken, or on the verge of breaking. A whole new harness is a possibility, but.... $$$ and the first one made it 18-19 years before giving up right?

When I did mine, I scavenged colour matching wire from the same harness out of a junk yard car, taking care to only use parts of the wired that had previously not been part of the harness that flexed with the gate opening. So, in theory, not at all stressed yet. I then cut and soldered them in side the roof and pulled the whole length through the boot and connected the other end inside the hatch under the trim....

Wasn't too bad of a job and only took a couple hours, but it was on the OBW. I was a little rougher with the interior than I would have been with the LGT, just coz I care less about it.... 😬

• Like 2

Yep, right hand side.  I bought the entire harness from Subaru, made the job pretty simple.  Only tough part was getting the connectors off the defrost connection of the window - didn't want to break them!

Like KZJonny said, if one is broken, there are bound to be more.  If you're cool with soldering, that's likely the cheaper option and will work just as well.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SubOperator said:

LOL.  I just ran my backup camera wiring, and saw a wire that wasn't connected to anything.... I didn't see another piece of wire for it to connect to, so I figured I'd wait and see what's not working.  I guess I'll be pulling this open again later.  Already found a video that doesn't look too difficult.

Finished wiring up my JDM dual din harness.  Picked up a used JVC kw-v200bt for cheap off FB Marketplace.  Wiring went pretty straight forward, except I ripped one of the wires out of the JVC harness connector while trying to strip the wire.  The connector is missing some plastic, but I superglued the wire where it goes, and it seems to have continuity.

• Like 2

Finally took out that craptastic cd changer.  JDM dual climate control, and a JVC dual din touchscreen.  Backup camera even works when you shift into reverse.  The reverse light I stole power from for the camera isn't working tho, hopefully it's just burnt out.

387322271_736997404925478_1293671539215944949_n.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, pksystems said:

Finally took out that craptastic cd changer.  JDM dual climate control, and a JVC dual din touchscreen.  Backup camera even works when you shift into reverse.  The reverse light I stole power from for the camera isn't working tho, hopefully it's just burnt out.

Yikes! Was it actually -11 in Calgary? I remember it getting cold faster than here when I lived out there, but not *that* fast.

Also, was it an OEM radio/cd changer, and if so, did it work fine? I need to look in my bin to see if I have a spare already….

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

Yikes! Was it actually -11 in Calgary? I remember it getting cold faster than here when I lived out there, but not *that* fast.

Also, was it an OEM radio/cd changer, and if so, did it work fine? I need to look in my bin to see if I have a spare already….

No.  I noticed that too.  I was in garage with no coat, so at least 18C.  The car wasn't running, just 2-3 clicks on to test everything if that would effect that temp gauge.

Not sure if the factory changer worked.  I haven't really driven the car, other then from carport into garage.  It ejected 6 discs from the previous owner fine. 😛

14 hours ago, pksystems said:

Man why do your jdm controls seem reasonably bright 

On 10/4/2023 at 5:29 PM, Febreze Mee said:

Just throwing more references out for you, in case you had come across some of my other posts on the topic.  

5A6076DF-2559-4258-BF29-BC68C0B672BD.thumb.jpeg.32ac8add02a66afe7a80eac67a170974.jpeg

On at night.

43381A0C-C5A4-462E-9BA5-F62EF4D13EBC.thumb.jpeg.9a682a0fdca196a647ac3a9e91dac301.jpeg

Off at night. 

0FA61AA7-73E7-4A5F-B003-53ED4A009EF5.thumb.jpeg.1ce2475ca798a6796107b0ae34773d02.jpeg

On during the day. 

Funny, I need to grab some of the rubber stopper caps for the bleeder valves, and order a new set of bleeders for the fronts. My speed bleeder on the driver side is clogged, and I had no luck cleaning it. 

I'd highly recommend smoked halo ring covers from Morimoto. That way, the rings don't look like they are always on even when they're not. 

IMG_8936.mov

smoked-halo.jpg

Edited by Hitman47
  • Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 12:58 PM, Hitman47 said:

I'd highly recommend smoked halo ring covers from Morimoto. That way, the rings don't look like they are always on even when they're not. 

IMG_8936.mov 10.58 MB · 1 download

smoked-halo.jpg

I wish someone told me about this then. I got rid of that setup years ago. Those look much better!

1 hour ago, Lone_wolf_subie said:

Installed fire extinguisher today. Tried to change air con belt and alternator belt to HKS Gates ones but wrong size so now twiddling thumbs until the new ones arrive 😑

Which bottle did you end up going with?

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Took a road trip in the spec.b from South Carolina to New Hampshire.  Spent a week going all over New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine.  3800 miles in 9 days and who knows how many tolls (waiting for all of the pay by plate bills to arrive).  Went to the top of Mount Washington, Visited Acadia NP and went to the Subaru Motorsport mecca that is VSC.  The car did great.  Averaged about 26mpg on the highway there and back... not so much in the mountains.

PXL_20230928_181213016 (1).jpg

PXL_20230925_175941281.jpg

PXL_20230925_172452426.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, WRX USA said:

I went with one of these: H3R Performance HalGuard Clean Agent Car Fire Extinguisher - 2.5 lb. Red(HG250R) https://a.co/d/8crMsTe

It’s probably overkill.

Ah overkill, overschmill. I'd argue it's one of the better automotive extinguishers on the market —at least 2yrs ago it was. 

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I recently joined the 300K club.

spacer.png

That was actually a few weeks ago. Currently at 302K. Been slacking on posting here.

Clutch is about dead, been babying it for a few thousand miles but it doesn't want to accelerate uphill in 5th anymore so I'm shopping for a new one. The Clutchmasters FX300 lasted 11 years and a smidge over 200K miles. Hard to complain about lifespan but this time I'll be going with something that will engage a bit smoother in traffic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Opened up my hatch wiring to see why my reverse light wasn't working.  I did test the bulb before I sealed everything up...... I think it was about to die. 

Swapped in white LED's for the backup lights, and red LED's for the licence plate lights.

Investigated and fixed the broken wire on drivers side hatch grommet.  I can now get all radio stations.

387325047_2261725514015913_192894181748351695_n.jpg

• Like 4

No pics, but just installed the GROM bluetooth radio adapter. So far so good. Bluetooth works great, and I have only made one phone call with it so far. We'll see long term how it goes, but definitely a nice upgrade. I am personally (no shade at anyone that disagrees) not a fan of the double din route...it just looks a little out of place IMO. I have the OE iPod adapter for the SAT button and now the GROM module daisy chained.
What is interesting is the GROM (though daisy chained through the SAT harness) shows up via the AUX interface on the stereo. So SAT is still iPod (yes i still use an iPod) and then AUX works as both the stock AUX or the GROM. Pretty seamless otherwise

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

1 hour ago, jaylew said:

No pics, but just installed the GROM bluetooth radio adapter. So far so good. Bluetooth works great, and I have only made one phone call with it so far. We'll see long term how it goes, but definitely a nice upgrade. I am personally (no shade at anyone that disagrees) not a fan of the double din route...it just looks a little out of place IMO. I have the OE iPod adapter for the SAT button and now the GROM module daisy chained.
What is interesting is the GROM (though daisy chained through the SAT harness) shows up via the AUX interface on the stereo. So SAT is still iPod (yes i still use an iPod) and then AUX works as both the stock AUX or the GROM. Pretty seamless otherwise

Which head unit are you using? I also found an '07 centre console that has the aux port, and I have the post-facelift radio that has an aux function. I think you also have an '05 so it wouldn't have come with the SAT/AUX function.

I'm with you on the double DIN thing personally. Don't think it fits the feel of the car, but as you say, it's all personal. I also do not use a smart phone (no, I don't use a smart phone) so pretty much all of the functionality of a big moderm headunit is wasted on me.

I believe all I need to connect the two is some kind of custom wiring by @SVXdc? I just need to unlazy myself and pay for it. Or.... you meniton the OE iPod Adaptor? That would work for me as well. I still use a Sony mp3 player.